Studies: English

Message 57 of 61
01 July 2014 at 9:20pm | IP Logged 
Doitsujin wrote:
slucido wrote:
I wrote a lot of scientific references about subliminal, passive and implicit
learning
in this old thread.

As interesting as these articles are, I've yet to see a peer-reviewed scientific study about a revolutionary new language learning method whose results were reproduced by other scientists working in the field.

The point is that not everything is ridiculous. Some claims might be strange, but they are not ridiculous . There are passive or implicit strategies that make a lot of sense and have an empirical evidence.

Don't expect anything miraculous because passive strategies are only parte of the equation. You can expect improvement.

It is the same with new electronic technology or Internet. Nothing revolutionary. Only improvement...a lot of improvement.

All-nothing thinking is a bad thing.

2 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4642 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 58 of 61
02 July 2014 at 5:01pm | IP Logged 
Apologies if this has already been posted (I would have gone through the thread, but the forum is a bit slow today):
someone posted it on the SSiW forum:

Apply voltage to your
brain

Pretty interesting. And not just for languages of course.

As the SSiW poster said "Don't do this at home"
(but if you do, let us know how it works!)

:-)

1 person has voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4642 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 59 of 61
02 July 2014 at 5:13pm | IP Logged 
slucido wrote:
Check this article: New study may revolutionize language learning

http://phys.org/news152292870.html

Dr Sulzberger wrote:
"However crazy it might sound, just listening to the language,
even though you don't understand it, is critical. A lot of language teachers may not
accept that," he says.

"Our ability to learn new words is directly related to how often we have been exposed
to the particular combinations of the sounds which make up the words. If you want to
learn Spanish, for example, frequently listening to a Spanish language radio station on
the internet will dramatically boost your ability to pick up the language and learn new
words."

hmm....well, lots of HTLAL-ers will have done a ton of listening over the years, and while I'm sure most of us feel it's a good thing, I'd
also think most of us
found it necessary to do other things as well.

Quote:

I wrote a lot of scientific references about subliminal, passive and implicit
learning
in this old thread.

Hope that's fixed your link

Edited by montmorency on 02 July 2014 at 5:16pm

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5134 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 60 of 61
02 July 2014 at 6:14pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
Apologies if this has already been posted (I would have gone through the thread, but the forum is a bit slow today): someone posted it on the SSiW forum:

Apply voltage to your brain

Pretty interesting. And not just for languages of course.

As the SSiW poster said "Don't do this at home" (but if you do, let us know how it works!) :-)

One guy actually tested the efficacy of a home-made tDCS device for vocabulary learning in a semi-scientific setting and reportedly memorized between 12% and 20% more words. However, the author concluded his "study" with these words:

Quote:
Should you go out and buy a tDCS machine, get on the juice and boost your studying efforts? Maybe. I think tDCS might fall into the same category of life optimizations that, for example, nutritional supplements fall into. If you haven't dialed in the basics (in this case using a spaced repetition system to consistently study every day, in the case of fitness to consistently eat prudently and exercise), this won't be of much help. If you have done the basics and want to optimize your use of time, it may be worth considering tDCS, keeping in mind the risks of listening to random people you don't know on the Internet.

2 persons have voted this message useful

slucido
Bilingual Diglot
Spain
https://goo.gl/126Yv
Joined 6489 days ago

1296 posts - 1781 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Spanish*, Catalan*
Studies: English

Message 61 of 61
03 July 2014 at 10:27am | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
slucido wrote:
Check this article: New study may revolutionize language learning

http://phys.org/news152292870.html

Dr Sulzberger wrote:
"However crazy it might sound, just listening to the language,
even though you don't understand it, is critical. A lot of language teachers may not
accept that," he says.

"Our ability to learn new words is directly related to how often we have been exposed
to the particular combinations of the sounds which make up the words. If you want to
learn Spanish, for example, frequently listening to a Spanish language radio station on
the internet will dramatically boost your ability to pick up the language and learn new
words."

hmm....well, lots of HTLAL-ers will have done a ton of listening over the years, and while I'm sure most of us feel it's a good thing, I'd
also think most of us
found it necessary to do other things as well.

I wrote this in the last message.

Passive approaches are only part of the equation, but they are not ridiculous.

This discussion contains 61 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version