Joined 4372 days ago

229 posts - 421 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 33 of 51
20 June 2013 at 9:22pm | IP Logged 
DaraghM wrote:
I haven't used it, but I've heard very good reports about Destinos for
Spanish. As far as I know, the programs are shown quite regularly in the US, and are
also available on the Annenberg website. I've taken a look at the programs and they go
quite far in Spanish and cover all the dialects from Spain, Argentina, Mexico and
Puerto Rico. The programs are designed to be used with a book and further audio on CD.
I'm not sure if the answers are included with the book though. Perhaps somebody whose
used the course could add more details.

Destinos (the whole program, not just the videos)could definitely take someone to B1
(likely beyond) in passive skills and writing, but conversation/language exchange with
natives or supplementing with audio drills would be needed to get to that level in
speaking. The Destinos audio does not consist in drills and it mainly addresses
listening comprehension. I'd say that it's similar to Assimil in that way, but IMO it's
far superior and goes further (in teaching grammar, vocabulary, listening comp, writing
and preparing one to speak.)

There are several editions of the textbook and workbooks and the accompanying audio.
The ones I am familiar with are the first (bought them for my mother) and the 2nd
edition of the alternate edition (used them in my 1st 2 years of college Spanish.) The
textbook focuses on understanding the episode, vocabulary, and reading. Virtually all
of the grammar is in the workbooks; they are essential. The first one covers the 1st
half of the course, the 2nd the 2nd half. Answer keys are included.

One can do the greater part of the exercises in the 2nd edition of the alternate
edition without the audio. That's what I did, although I now regret it. For the first
edition, however, you must have the audio... you won't be able to do much in the books
without it. Here's a useful link (this goes w/ the 1st ed. only):

http://wlcmedia.csumb.edu/Spanish/Destinos/audio/

EDIT: removed & replaced non-working link

2nd EDIT, for the OP: You can't complete Destinos in 3 months. If you did 2
lessons/episodes a week (which would be quite a lot of work, but substantially less
than FSI would require for that time-frame) you could finish it in 6 months. I
sincerely doubt that you (or virtually anyone) can get to B1 in 3 months, whatever you
do.

Edited by Gala on 21 June 2013 at 12:13am

2 persons have voted this message useful

DevonAero
United States
Joined 4004 days ago

34 posts - 38 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 34 of 51
21 June 2013 at 10:06pm | IP Logged 
Gala wrote:
DaraghM wrote:
I haven't used it, but I've heard very good reports
about Destinos for
Spanish. As far as I know, the programs are shown quite regularly in the US, and are
also available on the Annenberg website. I've taken a look at the programs and they go
quite far in Spanish and cover all the dialects from Spain, Argentina, Mexico and
Puerto Rico. The programs are designed to be used with a book and further audio on CD.
I'm not sure if the answers are included with the book though. Perhaps somebody whose
used the course could add more details.

Destinos (the whole program, not just the videos)could definitely take someone to B1
(likely beyond) in passive skills and writing, but conversation/language exchange with
natives or supplementing with audio drills would be needed to get to that level in
speaking. The Destinos audio does not consist in drills and it mainly addresses
listening comprehension. I'd say that it's similar to Assimil in that way, but IMO it's
far superior and goes further (in teaching grammar, vocabulary, listening comp, writing
and preparing one to speak.)

There are several editions of the textbook and workbooks and the accompanying audio.
The ones I am familiar with are the first (bought them for my mother) and the 2nd
edition of the alternate edition (used them in my 1st 2 years of college Spanish.) The
textbook focuses on understanding the episode, vocabulary, and reading. Virtually all
of the grammar is in the workbooks; they are essential. The first one covers the 1st
half of the course, the 2nd the 2nd half. Answer keys are included.

One can do the greater part of the exercises in the 2nd edition of the alternate
edition without the audio. That's what I did, although I now regret it. For the first
edition, however, you must have the audio... you won't be able to do much in the books
without it. Here's a useful link (this goes w/ the 1st ed. only):

http://wlcmedia.csumb.edu/Spanish/Destinos/audio/

EDIT: removed & replaced non-working link

2nd EDIT, for the OP: You can't complete Destinos in 3 months. If you did 2
lessons/episodes a week (which would be quite a lot of work, but substantially less
than FSI would require for that time-frame) you could finish it in 6 months. I
sincerely doubt that you (or virtually anyone) can get to B1 in 3 months, whatever you
do.

Dang, I wanna try this, but I can't learn with just audio only. I like to see the words
so I can spell and understand them better.

Anyway, I'm cool with not being B1 in 3 months, I'm still gonna try it, but if it
doesn't happen then it's no big deal. I've been at it 2 & a half weeks, and for the
first time since then I watched a Spanish video and got about 30% of it. I think that's
pretty good.

Edited by DevonAero on 21 June 2013 at 10:10pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Gala
Diglot
United States
Joined 4372 days ago

229 posts - 421 votes 

Message 35 of 51
21 June 2013 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 
There's plenty of Spanish text in the books, and you can turn on the closed captioning
in Spanish (although some of the text is messed up in it, as is typical w/ CC) for the
videos if you watch them here:

http://www.learner.org/series/destinos/watch/

The first episode has a lot of English, but they decrease the proportion of it over the
next couple episodes, after which it's entirely in Spanish.

Here are Amazon links for the 1st ed. text and workbooks:

http://www.amazon.com/Destinos-Introduction-Spanish-Student-
Edition/dp/0070020698/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1371848895&sr=8 -3&keywords=destinos

http://www.amazon.com/Workbook-Study-Lessons-accompany-
Destinos/dp/0070020728/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1371848895&sr= 8-5&keywords=destinos

http://www.amazon.com/Destinos-Introduction-Spanish-Workbook -
Lecciones/dp/0070020736/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1371848895&sr =8-9&keywords=destinos

Sounds like you're doing great so far! 30% is amazing for 2 1/2 weeks.

DevonAero
United States
Joined 4004 days ago

34 posts - 38 votes

Message 36 of 51
21 June 2013 at 11:47pm | IP Logged 
Gala wrote:
There's plenty of Spanish text in the books, and you can turn on the
closed captioning
in Spanish (although some of the text is messed up in it, as is typical w/ CC) for the
videos if you watch them here:

http://www.learner.org/series/destinos/watch/

The first episode has a lot of English, but they decrease the proportion of it over the
next couple episodes, after which it's entirely in Spanish.

Here are Amazon links for the 1st ed. text and workbooks:

http://www.amazon.com/Destinos-Introduction-Spanish-Student-
Edition/dp/0070020698/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1371848895&sr=8 -3&keywords=destinos

http://www.amazon.com/Workbook-Study-Lessons-accompany-
Destinos/dp/0070020728/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1371848895&sr= 8-5&keywords=destinos

http://www.amazon.com/Destinos-Introduction-Spanish-Workbook -
Lecciones/dp/0070020736/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1371848895&sr =8-9&keywords=destinos

Sounds like you're doing great so far! 30% is amazing for 2 1/2 weeks.

Alright thanks, have you tried BBC's Spanish course? I just found it, it's interesting   
and the format's good. I think I'm gonna stick with it. In addition to Assimil and
(maybe) Platiquemos.

Edited by DevonAero on 21 June 2013 at 11:48pm

Gala
Diglot
United States
Joined 4372 days ago

229 posts - 421 votes 

Message 37 of 51
22 June 2013 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
If you mean Mi vida loca (or something like that,) I've looked at it, but I was beyond
the level to use it by then. I thought it seemed quite good. It definitely doesn't go as
far as Destinos, though, and I'd say it's a supplementary course rather than a
comprehensive one. But if you use Platiquemos (highly recommended) in addition to
Assimil, you'll have your hands full and certainly won't need Destinos. If you don't use
Platiquemos/FSI, or Destinos, I personally wouldn't recommend Assimil as your only
comprehensive beginner-intermediate course, but there are many that would disagree with
me on that.

DevonAero
United States
Joined 4004 days ago

34 posts - 38 votes

Message 38 of 51
22 June 2013 at 5:33am | IP Logged 
Gala wrote:
If you mean Mi vida loca (or something like that,) I've looked at it, but
I was beyond
the level to use it by then. I thought it seemed quite good. It definitely doesn't go
as
far as Destinos, though, and I'd say it's a supplementary course rather than a
comprehensive one. But if you use Platiquemos (highly recommended) in addition to
Assimil, you'll have your hands full and certainly won't need Destinos. If you don't
use
Platiquemos/FSI, or Destinos, I personally wouldn't recommend Assimil as your only
comprehensive beginner-intermediate course, but there are many that would disagree with
me on that.

Gala, si usted no molesta me pregunte; Como largo hizo es tomar por tu a conseguir a tu
nivel en espanol? Que cursa hizo usted usar?

Jaja, Yo probado. Lo siento si no es prefecto.
2 persons have voted this message useful

simonov
Portugal
Joined 5411 days ago

222 posts - 438 votes 
Speaks: English

Message 39 of 51
22 June 2013 at 11:46am | IP Logged 
DevonAero wrote:

Gala, si usted no molesta me pregunte; Como largo hizo es tomar por tu a conseguir a tu
nivel en espanol? Que cursa hizo usted usar?
Jaja, Yo probado. Lo siento si no es prefecto.

I would stay away from Google translate if I were you. It has a tendency to turn English into foreign gibberish.
4 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5084 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 40 of 51
22 June 2013 at 2:31pm | IP Logged 
DevonAero, pick a method or two or three, settle down with it and start learning. It's going to take you as long a time as necessary to learn the language. When people here take the time to respond and recommend something to you, it is probably a good idea to pay attention because they've been there before. Not every course or method is for everyone, but if you don't give it a shot, how will you know? The good thing about free methods is that all it costs you is time.

No method is a magic pill that will have you producing glorious Spanish in 12 weeks. What will work is choosing a course(s)/method and sticking with it every day. Be consistent and be persistent. It's really no more complicated than that. Assimil, Platiquemos/FSI, Destinos- all will work but you have to actually use it and put in the effort. Elsewise, why bother. Good luck with your studies.

Edited by iguanamon on 23 June 2013 at 6:25am

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version