Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5677 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 41 of 51
22 June 2013 at 3:25pm | IP Logged 
I'm pretty sure that DevonAero didn't use Google Translate. For these types of sentences Google Translate generally does a decent job. "How long did it take you to reach your level in Spanish?" gets translated into "¿Cuánto tiempo le tomó para llegar a su nivel de español?", which is certainly much less literal than DevonAero's post. It just looks like a direct dictionary translation.

Here's a literal translation and then how i'd say it in Spanish:
"Gala, si usted no molesta me pregunte;" = Gala, if you don't bother, I asked myself (assuming pregunté)
-Gala, si no te molesta que pregunte,

"Como largo hizo es tomar por tu a conseguir a tu nivel en espanol?" = As long (largo = distance, not time) did, it's taking for your to to achieve to your level in Spanish (i understand "en español" as you used Spanish to reach your level).
-¿cuánto tiempo te tomó/llevó (o "tardaste en") conseguir tu nivel (actual) de español?

"Que cursa hizo usted usar?" = That studies, you had used?
-¿Qué curso utilizaste?

"Jaja, Yo probado. Lo siento si no es prefecto." Haha, I tried ("tried" as in a tried method, here it's not a verb. It's like saying "I happy"). Sorry if it's not prefect (should be "perfecto" ;))
-Jaja, lo intenté. Lo siento si no es perfecto.

In English a lot of tenses and especially questions are formed by using multiple words. In Spanish a lot of times the same idea is expressed in one word with an ending. You need to learn how to conjugate verbs and then Spanish speakers will also be able to understand what you say/write. As it is, only people who can speak both Spanish and English can understand it, as they've got to translate everything literally back into English to understand the Spanish ;) Another thing to keep in mind is that online especially you'll generally use the informal "tú" forms.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 42 of 51
22 June 2013 at 3:36pm | IP Logged 
Also, there's a rule that non-English posts should be limited to the multilingual lounge and personal logs.
I've heard a joke that's mostly popular photographers tired of newbies asking them which camera you need to take the best pictures:
-Hey, you cook so well, what kitchenware do you use and where did you buy it?

I'd say language courses' importance is somewhere in between a good camera for photographing and good kitchenware for cooking :)
But certainly less important than a good pair of boots for a footballer.

Edited by Serpent on 22 June 2013 at 3:41pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 43 of 51
22 June 2013 at 4:08pm | IP Logged 
Also unlike, say, naming your child or choosing a dog, this is not a lifetime decision. Don't dwell too much on it. Try something available for free (like http://www.languagetransfer.org or whatever you can get in your library), and you'll have a better idea of what you need. There's an abundance of Spanish and Portuguese materials so you can find anything... as long as you accept that no course will do the learning on your behalf.

simonov
Portugal
Joined 5401 days ago

222 posts - 438 votes 
Speaks: English

Message 44 of 51
22 June 2013 at 8:41pm | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
I'm pretty sure that DevonAero didn't use Google Translate. For these types of sentences Google Translate generally does a decent job.

You're right, I fed his Spanish into Google Translate and Google gave me a good English version (complete with the misspelled 'perfect'). I have now fed the English version into Google, and the result is a much more satisfactory, easily understandable Spanish one.
So, yes, I got it wrong, DevonAero did not use Google.
And this taught me that one should always check both ways, in this case "foreign - English - foreign" before deciding that Google Translate is total rubbish. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.
But it should also teach the OP that there is much more to language learning than just grabbing hold of a dictionary, an online one I suppose, because you'd never find "hizo" and "probado" in a traditional one. Well, yes, you would, but you would have to know where to look for it, and be familiar with at least some basic grammar.

2 persons have voted this message useful

simonov
Portugal
Joined 5401 days ago

222 posts - 438 votes 
Speaks: English

Message 45 of 51
22 June 2013 at 9:55pm | IP Logged 
I forgot to tell the OP that, as this is his first foray into foreign territory, no course is too slow, rather the opposite. A first foreign language is always difficult.
MT would be perfect to allow him to get acquainted with some aspects of the Spanish language that are quite alien to him. And in 2 week and a half he could have gone through MT (foundation and advanced) and would have had no problem writing a little post in simple, but reasonable Spanish.

Edited by simonov on 22 June 2013 at 9:57pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6409 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 46 of 51
22 June 2013 at 10:39pm | IP Logged 
Given the World Cup plans, I would say Pimsleur or Rosetta stone would be too slow. Unless the OP does pick Portuguese that is.

Gala
Diglot
United States
Joined 4362 days ago

229 posts - 421 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 47 of 51
22 June 2013 at 11:07pm | IP Logged 
DevonAero,(I'll reply to your question in English, because Serpent's right about
posting in languages other than English being reserved for another area of the forum,)
it has taken me almost 5 years to get to my current level, which I would estimate to be
C1 for everything but speaking, and B2 for that. There is a lot that I would do
differently now if I were able to go back in time and start over, which might have
sped-up the process. For the first 2 years especially I relied too much on class
instruction/methods (I just graduated with a BA in Spanish [had a 1 year gap in the
middle],) until I realized that they were insufficient & slowing me down. One thing I
did right was to watch Spanish TV from the very beginning, and a good ear is probably
my strongest skill.

As for courses, of course I was assigned many textbooks (for the last 2 years many of
them literary, cultural, or linguistic), the only one of which I would recommend for
self-study for non-academic learners is Destinos (along with the rest of its
components, of course.) On my own, I've used all kinds of self-study materials and
courses (mainly intermediate or advanced) because I'm obsessive. The only courses that
I did that were intended for beginners that I would recommend are Destinos and FSI
(which is the same as Platiquemos.) But, although they were intended for beginners,
some feel they may not be the ideal starting-place for many absolute beginners that are
1st-time language learners. I have no personal experience with the Michel Thomas
courses (which simonov referred to as MT) or the first 2 levels of Pimsleur, as I was
well beyond them by the time I heard about them. Many seem to consider them ideal for
the very beginning. Madrigal's Magic Key to Spanish (a book) is another possibility
(that I never used) for that purpose, and would give you the text that MT & Pimsleur
lack.

I also began to use some written native materials (in addition to music, TV, and films,
which I used from the beginning) and to have simple, broken conversations with native
speakers within 6 months or so, and to read short stories and occasional novels (with
heavy dictionary use) after a year. You may be able to do some of this quicker if you
follow a more efficient path than mine:)

EDIT: Also, keep in mind that people tend to move more quickly along the path from 0
knowledge to B1, after which the process of getting to the next level seems to slow way
down. This is often said around here, and it has certainly been true for me.

Edited by Gala on 23 June 2013 at 12:47am

6 persons have voted this message useful

DevonAero
United States
Joined 3994 days ago

34 posts - 38 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 48 of 51
23 June 2013 at 12:27am | IP Logged 
simonov wrote:
I forgot to tell the OP that, as this is his first foray into foreign
territory, no course is too slow, rather the opposite. A first foreign language is always
difficult.
MT would be perfect to allow him to get acquainted with some aspects of the Spanish
language that are quite alien to him. And in 2 week and a half he could have gone through
MT (foundation and advanced) and would have had no problem writing a little post in
simple, but reasonable Spanish.

Just realized how right you are. I'll do MT this week and next, along with Assimil and go
from there. As you guys probably can tell I have some decision issues.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 51 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version