Joined 5292 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 43
17 June 2013 at 3:42pm | IP Logged 
prz_ wrote:
I can fill in the "online radio stations" field, just someone who's an English native speaker will have to correct some minor mistakes.

There you go: "Online radio" page

As for the other stuff, feel free to go ahead and edit the page!
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4769 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 10 of 43
17 June 2013 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
Yes, the grammars were something I wanted to start but didn't have time left. I imagined a subcathegory in the courses for additional resources where those grammar books and vocabulary books etc could go (like there are Monolingual textbooks: French, German etc leading to the commented lists, there could be Grammars:French, German and so on leading to similar lists). And there should of course be a separate path through A grammar category and through the language in question. Basically, a wiki should lead you to the goal no matter which path you choose in my opinion. The path must be intuitive for the newbies if we want them to use it.

Of course, if you think of a better way, I'll just join. :-)

The only trouble I have got is that the categories (I made "How to practice and improve your language" which should be a crossroads for anyone asking either how to fill a gap or what to do after the basic textbooks or textbooks at all) do not show on the main page, which isn't good, I think. I am probably doing something wrong.

I can imagine these categories as a sort of crossroads web (overlapping with each other and connected):
the courses (are there now)
the languages and language families (are there now)
the techniques (are there now)
how to practice and improve your language (is half there)
where to begin
each language page should be such a crossroads, even though it is a page and not a category.
learning Grammar
learning Vocabulary
learning foreign scripts
learning pronunciation
Listening
Reading
Speaking
Writing
Native ressources
Literature (sorted by approximate level ideally, basically a list of hints where anyone could find their starting point even when they know nothing about the language's literature)
Music (doesn't hurry much since lyricstraining quite takes care of the most popular languages)
TV shows (I love the subtitles list, emk, btw)
Movies
(and there should be a list of shops shipping these things abroad!)
Language exams and preparation for them
and others will surely emerge as well
................(if I'm going crazy with the ideas, just stop me, please)

an FAQ question: What is an accent and what should I do about it? So many beginners I've met were stuck forever in discussions on the proper accent and kept forgetting they don't even known basic pronunciation yet and can't put together a simple sentence.

2 persons have voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4619 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 11 of 43
17 June 2013 at 5:53pm | IP Logged 
Ok, contribution's been made. However, I'm not sure if it's the way it should look like. Well, you can always change it ;)

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4769 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 12 of 43
17 June 2013 at 9:40pm | IP Logged 
Who knows what all will crystalize from this...

Tonight, I'm not contributing. I'll finish reading one of my exam textbooks (one of the hated ones) and go to sleep for a change. My brain needs it.
2 persons have voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4619 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 13 of 43
17 June 2013 at 9:46pm | IP Logged 
Good luck :)
And yes, go to bed early. Don't take a leaf out of my book.

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4188 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 14 of 43
17 June 2013 at 11:56pm | IP Logged 
I just added a tiny bit to the Spanish page. This is exciting! I hope I did it right. I would love to contribute in any way
i can, although there's not much i would consider myself an expert on =P I could maybe summarize posts from this
forum onto the wiki, if you tell me which ones and where you'd like them. I think i will just start by adding little bits
wherever i can.

EDIT: just noticed the brazilian portuguese page is completely empty! now there's a language i have lots of
resources for.

edit 2: I think the 'where to begin" page suggested by cavesa should be top priority!

Edited by Emily96 on 18 June 2013 at 12:34am

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5292 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 15 of 43
18 June 2013 at 4:04am | IP Logged 
Some great new content appeared on the wiki today:

Flash Cards
Spanish
Brazillian Portuguese
Online Radio
Macedonian

Prz and Emily96 have been very busy. :-)

I also added some material to Rosetta Stone, Krashen's Theory of Second Language Acquisition and 10,000 Sentences (a discussion of how this method is normally combined with lots of media), among others.

Please feel free to dive on in and work on anything that strikes your fancy! We can always polish and revise later if we need to.

I think this is turning into a very useful resource!

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4619 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 

Message 16 of 43
18 June 2013 at 8:33am | IP Logged 
Recently I had a course about the Slavic languages, co I can contribute... a bit ;) I just need some time.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version