17 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4649 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 9 of 17
20 June 2013 at 1:27am | IP Logged 
Well, let's see: Les noms et leur nombre, Interjections, L'emploi d'"autant", L'emploi de "tant", les sons et les genres, verbes + prepositions, comment exprimer ses idees, les pronoms possessifs... these are the grammatical problems from the last five lessons. Mostly quite easy stuff.

1 person has voted this message useful

stelingo
Hexaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5622 days ago

722 posts - 1076 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Czech, Polish, Greek, Mandarin

Message 10 of 17
20 June 2013 at 9:10pm | IP Logged 
The book revises the basic grammar but also tackles more complex concepts such as the subjunctive, present and past, the conditional, present and past, how to say would have, should have etc. But what places it most definitely in the B1+ category is the length and subject matter of dialogues. Just taking Lesson 5 as an example, a meeting with an interior designer, we have words such as une chambre mansardée, un lit en laiton, une housse de couette, une étanche, un semainier en érable, une armoire en merisier, poncer et verifier le parquet. This is not vocabulary you will typically find in an A2 coursebook.

Edited by stelingo on 20 June 2013 at 9:33pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Gala
Diglot
United States
Joined 4340 days ago

229 posts - 421 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 11 of 17
20 June 2013 at 9:40pm | IP Logged 
prz_ wrote:
Well, let's see: Les noms et leur nombre, Interjections, L'emploi
d'"autant", L'emploi de "tant", les sons et les genres, verbes + prepositions, comment
exprimer ses idees, les pronoms possessifs... these are the grammatical problems from the
last five lessons. Mostly quite easy stuff.

I just checked the table of contents of my for-future-use copy and those aren't all the
grammatical topics from the last 5 lessons, just a cherry-picked selection.

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4649 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 12 of 17
21 June 2013 at 12:14am | IP Logged 
It's true that these are not the only ones. And I agree, the texts are more complex and... in my opinion, quite interesting.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4679 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 13 of 17
21 June 2013 at 2:07am | IP Logged 
I just checked their listings ... with 9 cds and 3 books for $35 total, it seems like a
pretty good deal regardless of what they mean by "advanced."   I'm looking forward to
hearing what people's experiences are with it.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4799 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 14 of 17
21 June 2013 at 2:33am | IP Logged 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zr96kwg1gww

That is an external review of a learner polyglot reviewing a few courses. He loved the LL Ultimate and Spoken World courses. And he got one of the new products, I think Arabic. What he comes to: It is quite a good beginner course and he would be happy to use it had he not known the LL had produced much better. His estimate is that the new course (all 3 levels) contain about half the former first level.

Truth be told, I surely believe him that the course might be totally ok had they labeled it A1 (or perhaps A2?) instead of Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced (!), I found more trouble with the apps and computer exercises which seem to be quite heavily marketed part of the product (and not that cheap one) as those are obviously meant to be primarily pretty and fun at the expense of their learning merit.

Second main trouble I can see lies in the tutored lessons (again not that cheap). Following the LL terms and conditions, you can lose your paid access to the lessons for any kind of trying to make them leave their pattern. Theoretically, you could lose it even for asking "are these words I found in the dictionary correct and suitable for the situation?". I would be very curious to hear someone who had used them speaking both about their usefulness and about how strictly are the rules being applied.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4799 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 15 of 17
21 June 2013 at 3:23am | IP Logged 
My apologies, the video I linked to is the one Kronos linked to earlier (and how I found it out)! I just got confused, sorry :-D

Kronos
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5051 days ago

186 posts - 452 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 16 of 17
21 June 2013 at 3:42am | IP Logged 
Oh no it's OK, thanks for reposting the link! I think it was quite a good review, the comparison between the old and current generation LL comes in the second half, especially near the end of the video. Not everyone may have watched to that point.

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version