jingwumaster
United States
Joined 4479 days ago

33 posts - 46 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 32
18 June 2013 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
Hi everyone,

I want to learn German, focusing mainly on reading and listening comprehension. I don't know if I'll ever visit or live in a German speaking country, so for the time being, speaking isn't important to me. I just want to be able to enjoy literature and media in the language, maybe written correspondence as well, because I like old fashioned things like that (I'm 27).

Anyway, I'm thinking of approaching it like this: 1. Find interesting novel, 2. Make word-lists out of unknown words, 3. Use Iversen word-list method to learn words initially, 4. For retention, take words from word-list and insert them into a srs program like Anki along with the sentence they appear in, in the novel, for context, 5. Repeat ad infinitum.

Basically, I would work through a novel series like this to develop reading comprehension and also listen to things to develop listening comprehension. I would also start out with novels I already know well from English, which would allow me to understand more from context, since I'm already familiar with the story. I might would do this with The Hunger Games or Harry Potter series.

Also, I'm especially interested in the results of those who have taken interesting material and combined it with word-list and srs (spaced-repetition-system/software) in this manner.

Any opinions or advice concerning this approach will be appreciated, just keep in mind that I don't need to be able to speak this language.

1 person has voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5341 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 32
19 June 2013 at 1:39am | IP Logged 
jingwumaster wrote:
Anyway, I'm thinking of approaching it like this: 1. Find interesting novel, 2. Make word-lists out of unknown words, 3. Use Iversen word-list method to learn words initially, 4. For retention, take words from word-list and insert them into a srs program like Anki along with the sentence they appear in, in the novel, for context, 5. Repeat ad infinitum.

A few thoughts, which you should take with a grain of salt:

1. If you're making sentence cards in Anki, you're going to have solid passive recognition of that vocabulary, even without using word lists. So maybe you should do one or the other, but not both?

2. I'm not sure how this would work if you don't know any German at all. Translating an unknown language with nothing more than a grammar book and a glossary can be pretty rough going.

3. It might be nice to get the matching audiobook and do some Listening/Reading. In any event, you'll want to listen to something. (For Harry Potter audiobooks in German, check out Pottermore.)

I've certainly learned a huge amount of French by enjoying native media and occasionally looking stuff up and adding it to Anki. But I started that after I finished Assimil.

Anyway, maybe somebody will be along with better advice soon. :-) Have fun with German!
5 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4818 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 3 of 32
19 June 2013 at 2:07am | IP Logged 
Listening Reading may be one way as emk pointed out.

Or I think just getting the same book in English and in German might make your life much easier and your learning more efficient than searching in the dictionary all the time.

I think you might succeed with "only" this but I think you could make your life easier again by reading a grammar overview or grammar book of German. As you're not that interested in active skills, you don't need to dwell on exercises but knowing what to expect, which words are functional parts of the sentence, recognizing which words are probably just another form of the same noun or verb, that could be useful.

For listening, I think a few tv shows will move you way up once you are ready for them. Hard to advice something beginner but not textbookish. Audiobooks for you novels might be the easiest choice.

Your project sounds very interesting, have you considered writing a log about your progress?
3 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4656 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 4 of 32
19 June 2013 at 3:14am | IP Logged 
I have no experience whatsoever learning German, but I would say this: do a few grammar lessons before tackling the novel. Get some of the basics down first, like basic conjugations, some common irregular verbs, gender, etc.

As for Anki, unless you have an e-book and/or you have lots of time, inputting sentences from your novel will be tedious. At least, it is for me. What I do is, while reading, if I need to look up a word in the dictionary, I jot it down, or highlight it in the book, whichever is easier. Then later on, I look for an example sentence with that word in it on the Internet, and just copy-and-paste into Anki. That saves me the hassle of typing it in manually. I also think that it helps your memory somewhat. You see and understand the word in both the example sentence and in the novel, so you have two contexts.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4637 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 5 of 32
19 June 2013 at 3:23am | IP Logged 
Just to add the icing on the cake, or gild the lily or whatever, I'd add the audiobook
to having a German and an English version of whatever book or books are involved.

Although I don't use Anki or any automated SRS, I'm basically doing the same as you:
read books (and listen to the audiobook version if I can get it), write down words
quickly for later looking up: once looked up, add them to a word list (or a Huliganov-
style Gold List (or I sometimes compromise between the two).

At the moment, I rarely look up every unknown word. I take a fairly relaxed view, and
only look up things that strike me of interest, or nice phrases, or occasionally a
grammar point I notice.

(I also listen to podcasts).

I should say I've been learning German a long time, so this process is a lot easier for
me, but I don't see why it shouldn't work for a less experienced learner, provided they
are patient. I'm also doing it for Danish, in which I'm still really a beginner, but
I'm making it a bit easier for myself by reading (fairly slowly) books that I have
already read in English and German.

EDIT: sorry, I hadn't noticed what you were doing with sentences. I don't do that, but
I don't say it's not a good idea, but it's potentially a lot of work, as has been
suggested. I think it should definitely help though, if you can keep it up.

EDIT: apologies to non-native English speakers: it's "gild" the lily; now corrected.
Wiktionary article

Edited by montmorency on 19 June 2013 at 1:55pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

jingwumaster
United States
Joined 4479 days ago

33 posts - 46 votes

Message 6 of 32
19 June 2013 at 6:33am | IP Logged 
I wanted to let you guys know that I have read your posts and will give a more complete reply to them later, but right now I have to study for a Trig test tomorrow. I'm already thinking on some ways to improve my approach based on advice/opinions in these posts, after only skimming, definitely good info. Thanks again and I would love to see even more suggestions.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6406 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 7 of 32
19 June 2013 at 8:40am | IP Logged 
I do similar stuff but without the word lists. Though as a linguist I have an overview of most languages before I even start them. And of course I love grammar, though I hate boring exercises, especially translating.

I highly recommend the podcast "Deutsch? Warum nicht!" by Deutsche Welle. It's fun and it should be a good beginning for you.
and yes, LR. see the posts by the member doviende too. he found it easier to learn new vocab by both reading and listening to L2, perhaps because some cognates are more obvious in speech but others in writing. that's also how it works for me in Danish.

SteveRidout
Diglot
Groupie
Spain
readlang.com
Joined 4091 days ago

65 posts - 121 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 8 of 32
19 June 2013 at 10:09am | IP Logged 
I create the web site Readlang which provides a nice workflow for this kind of
method. It works like this:

1. You import plain text documents to read. If you have novels in ePub or pdf format, you can use Calibre to
convert them to plain text first.

2. You read the book with the built-in reader, which includes one-click translation using both Google Translate
and WordReference.

3. Every word you translated is remembered, along with the sentence for context. You can practice cloze
detection within Readlang's SRS flashcards, or you can export the words to Anki, Quizlet, and other SRS
programs.

Would love to hear how you get on if you do decide to give Readlang a shot.

There's another program called Learning With Texts (LWT) which is popular on this forum and does a similar
thing, you may like to try that too.

Edited by SteveRidout on 19 June 2013 at 10:12am

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 32 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version