Language Learning Forum : Advice Center Post Reply
32 messages over 4 pages: 1 2 3

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6513 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 25 of 32
25 June 2013 at 11:01am | IP Logged 
Maybe I should add that my first experiments with retranslation weren't particularly succesful, and I ascribe this to the the timelapse between doing the translation and the retranslation/recall test (it's a combination of those two) AND to the fact that doing the translation into a given language always was easier than producing a correct retranslation more or less from scratch because I had forgotten the details of the original.

I ascribe my current (and fairly recent) interest in the method to the short timelapse between the phases - the retranslation becomes manageable because I haven't forgotten the original completely, and viewing the translation makes it pop up again. I'm not sure Luca would see things in the same way, but maybe his memory is better than mine. Besides the argument about the role of the close temporal proximity also explains why I like wordlists, but not Anki or flashcards.

I have written more about my experiments in my log thread, and when I have found a suitable form I'll also add a description of the technique to my language learning guide.

Edited by Iversen on 25 June 2013 at 11:07am

1 person has voted this message useful

jingwumaster
United States
Joined 4480 days ago

33 posts - 46 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 26 of 32
25 June 2013 at 9:09pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, I'm looking at your log now. I was also curious as to whether or not you would recommend using your copying and wordlist method with an Assimil book straight from the start or would you rather follow Assimil's instructions. I have Assimil: German with Ease, but am trying to determine how I am going to use it before I start. Thanks.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6513 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 27 of 32
26 June 2013 at 10:03am | IP Logged 
I don't know what Assimil's instructions are, but I would never feel that I had to comply with the instructions in any learning material. For me the advantage of learning materials like Teach Yourself, Colloquial something etc. is that you get some very easy texts and recordings to work with during your first hard time with a new language, and going through the materials to see 'what there is to learn' is also a good idea. But if you don't like the texts or drills then you will learn less from them.

Personally I try to have a series of well-tested general methods ready for use so that I don't have to invent the wheel again and again. On the other you should sometimes try variations in the methods to hone them until they fit you like a glove. But any method can be used on different kinds of materials, and for me courseware is more like a storehouse for easy study materials than a reservoir for methods.

Edited by Iversen on 26 June 2013 at 10:49am

2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4517 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 28 of 32
26 June 2013 at 10:29am | IP Logged 
The advantage of Assimil is that it has in-house translations which are sometimes even
hyperliteral (especially if the language diverges strongly from the TL). In Chinese and
Hebrew this is consistently done because of their divergent structures from French.

Furthermore the translating back stage to TL is the active wave stage - the translating
to base language is the passive wave.

I personally used wordlists to study Le Breton but found it inefficient - I have used
Anki to greater success.
2 persons have voted this message useful

jingwumaster
United States
Joined 4480 days ago

33 posts - 46 votes

Message 29 of 32
26 June 2013 at 2:37pm | IP Logged 
Cool, I think I'll try to use the methods that's been talked about in this thread with Assimil and see if it works well for me. Thanks.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6407 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 30 of 32
26 June 2013 at 3:14pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
The advantage of Assimil is that it has in-house translations which are sometimes even hyperliteral (especially if the language diverges strongly from the TL).
Or also if the languages are very close, like Spanish and Portuguese.

jingwumaster
United States
Joined 4480 days ago

33 posts - 46 votes

Message 31 of 32
27 June 2013 at 4:04am | IP Logged 
I know this is off topic but I have been thinking about upgrading my membership on this site. To others that have, have you found it worth it? Has your experience on this site improved in some way for doing so?

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4517 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 32 of 32
27 June 2013 at 10:52pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
tarvos wrote:
The advantage of Assimil is that it has in-house
translations which are sometimes even hyperliteral (especially if the language diverges
strongly from the TL).
Or also if the languages are very close, like Spanish and
Portuguese.

Indeed, the Romanian booklet uses very little hyperliteral correcting. Mostly because
it's not necessary, and also because in those instances where it is, the booklet explains
that construction well.

This discussion contains 32 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version