Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4819 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 9 of 12
20 June 2013 at 11:44am | IP Logged 
I doubt those courses would lead to B2. FSI and Assimil would give you a great base and they are surely worth doing it. Pimsler or MT: that depends on your learning style. Be careful, FSI does use old ortograph and that might be a trouble at the exam.

I am around A1 in German now but did some exams in French and English. There is a notable difference between B1 (which is the level where most courses and course series lead) and B2 which you aim for. You are expected to have broader knowledge already and not to make beginner mistakes, that is one of the main differences.

For the B2, you usually need more grammar than the beginner courses introduce. I'm using Übungsgrammatik für Angänger, which is for up to B1 and there is another volume for the higher levels. But there are more books like this, they might be helful

There are higher level textbooks that should guide you in all the areas (even though one textbook is most often not enough to master the skills), I heard a lot of good about Aspekte, even though it is intended for classroom use. Or even better, there are preparatory textbooks for the exam.

When you are done with Assimil and FSI or something like that, I recommend you to get such a preparatory coursebook with audio and structure your studies accordingly to your skills and gaps. The practice of the exam format comes handy as well.

These courses often come with a key to exercises except for the writing/speaking parts. You can post your writen exercises on italki.com and get corrected by natives. For speaking, geting a language partner or a tutor is usually recommendable.

Your goal is doable, given a lot of time and efforts. You finshed medschool (you're my hero) so you are able to learn anything!

And the ressources mentioned can be of great help. But they will not lead right to the end, you are not likely to pass a B2 exam a day after finishing active weave of Assimil no matter how great it is and what it does and how much you will have learnt.
2 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4638 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 10 of 12
20 June 2013 at 12:56pm | IP Logged 
What Michel Thomas is great for is learning that you can walk out on the tightrope of
building quite long sentences, while still knowing very little of the language, without
falling off, or even if you do, you don't hurt yourself.

It's a great confidence-booster.

OF course, more than that is needed in addition.
3 persons have voted this message useful

HudaMd
United Arab Emirates
Joined 3988 days ago

14 posts - 14 votes
Studies: Arabic (classical)*

Message 11 of 12
22 June 2013 at 2:27pm | IP Logged 
Thank you all for the help :) ..
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6407 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 12 of 12
22 June 2013 at 4:45pm | IP Logged 
Don't do Pimsleur, it's too slow for your schedule. It's mostly known for teaching the pronunciation quite well, but you don't need your pronunciation to sound native-like or pleasant. It just needs to be fully comprehensible and devoid of any consistent errors. (find out more about the requirements). I'm not saying you shouldn't work on it, but imo it should be a part of practising speaking.

also, google "how to improve your foreign language immediately" and use the techniques from the beginning (that's a book and it's available online as a pdf).

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version