Polydoc
Ireland
Joined 3994 days ago

11 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 17 of 18
16 August 2013 at 8:20pm | IP Logged 
I should be receiving the new LL complete Russian in the post next week, and would be
interested in participating in a challenge/experiment, if we were to start in the next
few weeks.

@Embici, I have Dutch from the spoken world series sitting on my shelf, when my Russian
set arrives if there's interest in this, I'll happily make a post comparing the
differences between these 'new' LL courses and the Spoken World series.

Btw just in case there's any confusion as to what the new LL courses are, I believe the
OP is referring to the ones that have the bottom halves of two faces on the front.

Edited by Polydoc on 16 August 2013 at 8:24pm

1 person has voted this message useful

liddytime
Pentaglot
United States
mainlymagyar.wordpre
Joined 6029 days ago

693 posts - 1328 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Galician
Studies: Hungarian, Vietnamese, Modern Hebrew, Norwegian, Persian, Arabic (Written)

Message 18 of 18
20 August 2013 at 10:47pm | IP Logged 
After reading through the posts here, I was reminded that I did my own "TY Challenge" two Septembers ago
when I was studying Arabic.

I completed both TY Arabic ( for MSA) and TY Gulf Arabic as my instructor was
from Oman. It took me about four months, spending an hour a day, to get through both of them. I felt like I
picked up a reasonable amount of Arabic after completing them and was quite pleased. I will say that I
wasn't anywhere near a B1 level though! I'm not sure if I would even call my level A2 ( or the TY scale
equivalent ). Perhaps upper A1? Arabic is such a rich, diverse and complex language, I'm sure that my TY
results would have been more encouraging with a European tongue. This seems similar to what most people
discovered with the Assimil challenge.

I was hoping that LLs Ultimate Hebrew would be out by the time this challenge started. No such
luck...Amazon says it comes out November 2013. Reviews say that the TY Hebrew course is dreadful.    I
might try out one of the spoken world courses instead, maybe Dutch?! @polydoc, how did you like the
Spoken World Dutch?

Edited by liddytime on 21 August 2013 at 4:45pm

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version