22 messages over 3 pages: 13  Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6406 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 9 of 22
23 June 2013 at 9:19pm | IP Logged 
And what about other sports? :)
1 person has voted this message useful

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5107 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 10 of 22
23 June 2013 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
And what about other sports? :)

Do exist: http://theothersports.com/

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6406 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 11 of 22
23 June 2013 at 10:12pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the info, I wasn't sure :P

McKulek
Tetraglot
Poland
Joined 4008 days ago

10 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: Polish*, Esperanto, English, Russian
Studies: French

Message 12 of 22
23 June 2013 at 10:29pm | IP Logged 

Emme wrote:
Above all try to have fun! You’ll soon see the results you’re hoping for!

I just try to have fun like I did (and still do) while learning Russian or Esperanto :) And as to the results I take you at your word! :)

Emme wrote:
As these are your first posts, welcome to the forum, McKulek!

Thank you for the kind welcome I recieved here!

And... as to sports, unfortunately my favourite one is lying. I'm afraid there's not TV broadcasts about a lying competition :)

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4818 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 13 of 22
23 June 2013 at 11:11pm | IP Logged 
McKulek wrote:

@Cavesa
Yes, I chose the series I like (I know that to avow oneself to like such series as "Modern Family" isn't something to be proud of, but on the other hand should I struggle with my preferences? ;p). But I don't agree with that you should keep watching the series which you doesn't understand. When I don't understand something it's not fun for me (Since I started study languages I've found this fun, and I'd love it to remain so. And I believe that it's possible :))

That's nothing to be ashamed of :-) If you only knew what all I watch. (lying to myself it's for the languages, hehe)

I don't say watch something you don't understand at all. If you don't understand at all or nearly at all, get the subtitles. At first even the Polish ones can help, later the English ones. Or if your reading comprehension is good, than start with the English ones right away.

But when the time comes for you to throw away the subtitles, you may again be shocked "help, I can't understand!". It happened to me and many others, it's a natural reaction to getting out of your comfort zone. If you can get at least the base of what is going on, it is a normal starting point. If you manage to get through several episodes, there should come the first jump in comprehension.

The point about various dialects was a very good one! Some people find the British English easier, some the American, some just like some actors' way of speaking in particular. It depends on what have you been exposed to so far and on your personal taste. I'd recommend you to get a taste of more series, both British and American ones, and start with what you find less difficult :-)
3 persons have voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4330 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 14 of 22
23 June 2013 at 11:19pm | IP Logged 
Here is what works for me:
- mass input of audiobooks (if you know enough vocabulary - they should feel easy in terms of listening comprehension)
- long TV series with subtitles (Stargate SG-1+Atlantis, Doctor Who, etc), get rid of the subtitles once you think you don't need them anymore for one particular series
- TV series and animated movies without subtitles, but with headphones (this way you get rid of the background noises)

do all three of them in parallel, although depending on your current comprehension capabilities, you might need to wait a bit until you start the latter (you should understand enough to enjoy it)

3 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4637 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 15 of 22
23 June 2013 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
+1 for Jane Austen adaptations, and the like, and that reminds me that on BBC Radio 3,
there is an interesting series currently about Charles Dickens, under the title "The
Essay".

R3 is mostly classical music, but does have occasional speech programmes (sometimes
drama, usually more obscure than R4).

A slightly quirky but interesting programme is "The Verb" with Ian Macmillan (Yorkshire
accent but very clear), and I just noticed a debate from the "York Festival of Ideas"
about the Wars of the Roses.

Can't see any actual drama at the moment, but worth keeping an eye out for. See also
the podcasts for Radio 3.

Radio 3 schedule

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4975 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 16 of 22
24 June 2013 at 5:55pm | IP Logged 
I was so afraid of trying and failing to understand spoken English, even if I could write it with not difficult, that I only started watching native English media this year, alongside with French. At that time my French level was still B1 and my English C1. So, I started both with subtitles, and I dropped the English ones earlier because I had a better vocabulary background. But then I kept working on my French elsewhere, through novels, for example, and now I still think I can understand spoken French better than spoken English - even though my written French is still rather poor.

I watch one episode in French and one in English each workday, for different series, on subjects I like.

One thing I should say is that I only watch those series with earphones. I don't know if it's how my stereo system is equalized, but I have much more trouble understanding direct sound from the speakers, both French and English. I know that I need more practice with that as well, and it might get better, as it already is with the English series. As for the French one, I don't feel like dropping the earphones yet because I don't really want to miss a thing from it.

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version