Tetraglot
Poland
Joined 4008 days ago

10 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: Polish*, Esperanto, English, Russian
Studies: French

Message 17 of 22
24 June 2013 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
The adviced given by all of you are intresting and inspiring. It's quite large set to try out! Something must work :)

So another question:

What do you think the listening comprehension depends on? I observed many times that at English class many people did better listening exercises even though they known fewer words than I did.

Is this the matter of better distinguishing words or better ability to understand a common sense? Or - maybe - the clue is to distinguish particular sounds and then it should be connected with pronunciation? What's your opinion, guys?
1 person has voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4637 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 18 of 22
25 June 2013 at 12:44am | IP Logged 
Can't give you an "answer", but my gut feeling is that the more vocabulary you have at
your disposal, the better your listening comprehension will be.

It helps to know how the words will sound, and even google translate audio can help
there, to some extent.

It's not so good with single words (IME), but quite good with whole expressions.

I've been told one can select American, British or Australian, but I don't know how.
The tests I've done have all been in perfectly good British English.
(I used translate.google.co.uk - maybe that helped).

Jazzy1979
France
Joined 3989 days ago

13 posts - 13 votes
Studies: English

Message 19 of 22
25 June 2013 at 10:50pm | IP Logged 
McKulek wrote:
Hi guys!

I'd like to beg some help from you. It's about listening comprehension, more precisely - about an obstacle I haven't been able to get through for some time.

I've been learning English intentionally for about two years (of course I had English classes at school, but I don't count it into my learning period). Comprehension's been my weak point since I remember. I began to exercise it with watching YouTube clips about the language (ESLJames, Joddle Your English - just to be familiar with various types of the language). I practised it up to the point that now I'm able to write down the whole clip (and obviously understand it). I understand at once approximately 95% of the clip.

Then I decided to switch to TV series. I started with "Ashes to ashes" and quickly gave up as I understood absolutly nothing from the 20 minutes I was watching. OK, I thought, I have to take something easier, more trivial. I picked "Modern Family" (according to the advice of an american guy I know). I understand more, but again it's not enough to enjoy the film.

I know that it's good to progress gradually, so perhaps it's been my mistake to choose TV series at the time? Maybe there's a step between TV clips and TV series I hadn't noticed?

This huge gap between my comprehension of the clips and the series is very frustrating. I can add that I have no problem with understanding Russian (it's similiar to Polish, which is my mother tongue) and Esperanto (pronunciation of which is rather clear).

So... any advice?

Ok .

As i am a newbie here , i didn't know somebody wrote already on this topic .

I have EXACTELY the same problem in comprehension . I can uuderstand effortlessly every motivational speakers at once - although they speak fast - but once i switch to TV series , nothing works anymore . It's very frustrating . Glad that i am not the only one in this position , i am reassured .

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4637 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 20 of 22
25 June 2013 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
To the OP: back on the "stuff to try" theme, and thinking again of classic English authors, there is a series of
dramatisations of Charles Dickens' Great Expectations on BBC Radio 4 Extra this week, every day at 10:00 (of course you
can listen to it when you like once it has been broadcast).

In 6 episodes. This is the first:

Great Expectation Episode 1

Slightly different: Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot:

Three Act Tragedy Episode 1 of 5

Different again: Sherlock Holmes:

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes episode 1 of 12

Schedule

Edited by montmorency on 25 June 2013 at 11:19pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6512 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 21 of 22
26 June 2013 at 10:36am | IP Logged 
When you ask for advice about listening you will mostly get answers about good sources, but I personally think that the main problem is your expectations.

But let's start with the sources. Of course you should first of all try to find easy, clearly spoken sources, but in the beginning it is also important that you can listen several times - so streaming media are out unless you can record them. The next consideration is the amount of speech you can deal with in one session. We all agree that lots of inpout is essential, but if you just start listening to some radiostation or whatever in a language you don't understand then it is like trying to jumping into a train thundering ahead at full velocity through the landscape. It can't be done, you have to wait until it stops somewhere and then you can enter. Later on you can then enjoy the ride from the inside of the train.

I mentioned the expectation problem. Normally you listen for the meaning straight away. And yes, if you are standing in a market place in some exotic place and have to negotatiate a price for your tomatoes then you need to concentrate on the meaning. But now you are sitting at home studying, and you try to get a foothold in an unending stream of speech sounds, and then your first concern should be to check that you can hear syllables and words and phrases at all. I call this 'listening like a bloodhound' becaue it reminds me of a dog following a trail with its snout close to the earth and totally oblivious to everything around it. So forget about the meaning and try to hear the speech as something like a stream of words. Parse it.

If you know some of the words then their meanings will pop up into your mind quite automatically, and this leads naturally to the next stage: listening for isolated words and expressions. If you hear something you don't understand then trying frantically to remember or guess the meaning will derail you for several seconds, and then you can't listen. So accept the situation and listen for those words and expressions you DO know - even if they don't add up to a complete meaningful statement. Maybe they will do so after a few repeats, but in the beginning you can't expect that unless you have found something extremely simple to listen to. Or something you already know well.

And that leads to the third advice: if you can find something with a transcript to listen to, then maybe you can study the transcript and look up unknown words and expressions, and you can also check your understanding of the grammatical structure. And then it is time to listen.

A parallel technique is getting a translation. Subtitles on TV barely suffice because they are shortened translations and mostly quite far from the original, but they are better than nothing - with one caveat: it is better to have read them before you listen. If you are reading the text for the first time while trying to listen to the speech then the two activities will compete, and then you can't listen efficiently. Which is one good reason for using recorded content with subtitles or full transcripts instead of streaming media.

I can't advice you on how to deal with listening to living humans who stand in front of you and who don't have that essential stop and repeat button. We all have our weaknesses, and there are people who are much better than me to learn from free conversations or courses. I just know which techniques I have profited most from when faced with a new language or dialect which I can't understand in its spoken version.

Edited by Iversen on 27 June 2013 at 2:56pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4637 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 22 of 22
27 June 2013 at 2:43pm | IP Logged 
On the point about streaming audio, with luck, one should be able to record this using the free Audacity package.

I have used this successfully for this purpose on Windows XP.

I've seen references to this being more difficult in Windows 7, but I haven't tried it on W7 (or W8).

using Audacity to record streaming output

This may also possibly be helpful:
recording computer audio

mixer toolbar issues

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version