Joined 6461 days ago

1001 posts - 1169 votes 
Speaks: German*, French, English, Spanish, Portuguese, Turkish, Italian
Studies: Persian, Tamil

Message 33 of 47
25 November 2006 at 6:03am | IP Logged 
salvius wrote:

Marin wrote:
Especially when it comes to books and literature in general. We have Serbian soap operas and movies on TV, they're of course NOT with subtitles, but books are 'translated' to fit Croatian grammar and vocabulary, and I don't see why shouldn't it be so?

Because it is absurd. A good example is to take drastically varying standards of English--should Huckleberry Finn have a special translation for the British, for example?

You might not be aware of it, but English books ARE frequently translated into American, i.e. they adapt spelling and some words to American usage. Look for the first Harry Potter book on amazon.com and you'll find 'Harry Potter and the sorcerer's stone'. On amazon.co.uk it's 'Harry Potter and the philosopher's stone'.
1 person has voted this message useful

Captain Haddock
Diglot
Japan
kanjicabinet.tumblr.
Joined 6564 days ago

2282 posts - 2814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, Korean, Ancient Greek

Message 34 of 47
25 November 2006 at 6:52am | IP Logged 
Marc Frisch wrote:
salvius wrote:

Marin wrote:
Especially when it comes to books and literature in general. We have Serbian soap operas and movies on TV, they're of course NOT with subtitles, but books are 'translated' to fit Croatian grammar and vocabulary, and I don't see why shouldn't it be so?

Because it is absurd. A good example is to take drastically varying standards of English--should Huckleberry Finn have a special translation for the British, for example?

You might not be aware of it, but English books ARE frequently translated into American, i.e. they adapt spelling and some words to American usage. Look for the first Harry Potter book on amazon.com and you'll find 'Harry Potter and the sorcerer's stone'. On amazon.co.uk it's 'Harry Potter and the philosopher's stone'.

It seems to me Harry Potter is quite an unusual case. Also, its being "translated" for Americans is highly criticized and seen somewhat as a dumbing-down.

Harry Potter notwithstanding, I agree that it's absurd. As a young child, I even read British books in early modern English (full of thees and thous) with no problem. It's all one language.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6952 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 35 of 47
25 November 2006 at 1:34pm | IP Logged 
I'm not sure if you can count the case of Harry Potter as "translation"

Those adjustments anyway do sound absurd and can indeed be seen as patronizing to readers who do not use the Queen's English, and not just Americans.

I don't know about others, but when I check a bookstore for copies of works in British literature after 1700 such as Dickens, Tolkien, Pope, Swift, Wordsworth, Austen, Kipling etc., as far as I can tell they are unabridged and in the original. There's no mention about them being "North American", "Australian" or "Indian" etc. editions.

vesna
Triglot
Yugoslavia
Joined 6394 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: Serbian*, Greek, English

Message 36 of 47
25 November 2006 at 7:50pm | IP Logged 
I study languages to understand people. More languages I know - more people I can understand. Then comes other knowledges around particular language - I start to be interested in particular country, about people's mentality, about their history, geografy, etc. etc.

Especially important is history. History explains a lot - not only people and their behaviour but, also, influences of other cultures and, therefore, other languages.
So, my advice for today ;) is: learn ALWAYS history when you study the language!

And, to the point: if you knew (no offense!) history of Serbian and Croatian people, you would call these two languages AS THEY ARE - SERBIAN language and CROATIAN language.

First and BASIC difference of these two languages is that official (also by heritage, tradition and custom) alphabet in Serbia is Cyrillic alphabet (azbuka) and in Croatia is Roman (Latin) alphabet (abeceda).

If you are, really, interested in any of these languages - the rest you'll have to learn by yourself (no pain - no gain!) :)
But, if anybody needs some small help (especially about Serbian language - as I am Serbian) - I'll be here. :)

salvius
Bilingual Diglot
Canada
Joined 6380 days ago

22 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: English*, Serbo-Croatian*
Studies: French, German

Message 37 of 47
28 November 2006 at 8:48am | IP Logged 
Here's the example of the thoroughly absurd translation into Bosnian, Croatian, and Serbian from central bank in Bosnia (note, few diacritics are missing).

CILJEVI I ZADACI

Osnovni ciljevi i zadaci Centralne banke su utvrđeni Zakonom saglasno Općem okvirnom sporazumu za mir u BiH. Centralna banka Bosne i Hercegovine održava monetarnu stabilnost u skladu s currency board aranžmanom (1KM : 0,51129 EURO), što znači da izdaje domaću valutu uz puno pokriće u slobodnim konvertibilnim deviznim sredstvima po fiksnom kursu 1 KM: 0,51129 EURO. Centralna banka definira i kontrolira provođenje monetarne politike Bosne i Hercegovine. Centralna banka upravlja službenim deviznim rezervama ostvarenim izdavanjem domaće valute.
Centralna banka pomaže i održava odgovarajuće platne i obračunske sisteme. Također koordinira djelatnosti agencija za bankarstvo bh. entiteta, koje su nadležne za izdavanje dozvola za rad i superviziju banaka.

----------------

CILJEVI I ZADACI

Osnovni ciljevi i zadaci Centralne banke su utvrdeni zakonom sukladno Opcem okvirnom sporazumu za mir u BiH. Centralna banka Bosne i Hercegovine održava monetarnu stabilnost u skladu s currency board aranžmanom (1KM : 0,51129 EURO), što znaci da izdaje domacu valutu uz puno pokrice u slobodnim konvertibilnim deviznim sredstvima po fiksnom kursu 1KM : 0,51129 EURO. Centralna banka definira i kontrolira provodenje monetarne politike Bosne i Hercegovine. Centralna banka upravlja službenim deviznim rezervama ostvarenim izdavanjem domace valute.
Centralna banka pomaže i održava odgovarajuce platne i obracunske sisteme. Također koordinira djelatnosti agencija za bankarstvo be-ha entiteta, koje su nadležne za izdavanje dozvola za rad i superviziju banaka.

------------------------------------------------

ЦИЉЕВИ И ЗАДАЦИ

Основни циљеви и задаци Централне банке су утврђени законом сагласно Општем оквирном споразуму за мир у БиХ. Централна банка Босне и Херцеговине одржава монетарну стабилност у складу са "currency board" аранжманом (1КМ : 0,51129 ЕURO), што значи да издаје домаћу валуту уз пуно покриће у слободним конвертибилним девизним средствима по фиксном курсу 1КМ : 0.51129 ЕURO. Централна банка дефинише и контролише провођење монетарне политике Босне и Херцеговине. Централна банка управља службеним девизним резервама оствареним издавањем домаће валуте.
Централна банка помаже и одржава одговарајуће платне и обрачунске системе. Такође координирање дјелатности агенција за банкарство бх. ентитета, кoје су надлежне за издавање дозвола за рад и супервизију банака.

Edited by salvius on 28 November 2006 at 8:50am

gidler
Finland
Joined 6419 days ago

109 posts - 118 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: Finnish*

Message 38 of 47
28 November 2006 at 9:51am | IP Logged 
salvius wrote:
Here's the example of the thoroughly absurd translation into Bosnian, Croatian, and Serbian from central bank in Bosnia (note, few diacritics are missing).

At least it's a chance for machine translation to actually produce high-quality results! :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Marin
Triglot
Groupie
Croatia
Joined 6855 days ago

50 posts - 51 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Italian
Studies: German, Russian, Persian

Message 39 of 47
30 November 2006 at 9:12am | IP Logged 
In Croatian "središnja" is used rather then "centralna", "kurs" is not used (in this sentence it should be "tečaj"), instead of "sistem" we use "sustav". :) But these are only details, I think we all agreed that Serbian and Croatian are at least 90% identical. That was never the issue here.

Martien
Heptaglot
Netherlands
martienvanwanrooij.n
Joined 6901 days ago

134 posts - 148 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, German, Spanish, Turkish, Italian, French
Studies: Portuguese, Serbo-Croatian, Latin, Swedish, Arabic (Written)

Message 40 of 47
02 December 2006 at 1:45pm | IP Logged 
First of all I am not up to making any political statement at all and really do not want to offend any Serb, Croat, Bosnian but what I learned about 35 years ago was "Yugoslavian" . I told also in other topics how I learned languages from immigrant workers in the Netherlands, especially Spanish and Turkish and also a reasonable amount of Moroccan Arabic. My "Yugoslavian" was good enough to make myself understood with immigrants who didn't speak enough Dutch or German (even with the community from Kosovo that came to the Netherlands in the sixties). Later I got able to distinguish certain futures of the differences, 1985 I was in Pula and they said that my Croatian was okay, and when I was working for immigrants in the Netherlands as a social worker (I did this job from 1977 to 1999) immigrants said that my Serbian was okay. After 1990 the situation became a little bit more difficult.Refugees came especially from Bosnia and since some of them didn't speak any foreign languages at all, I had to speak with them in the language I learned and often would apologise for using the wrong word and emphasising that I would never use such a word for political reasons. In most countries I will feel a bit disappointed when people switch to English when answering my questions in their local language but to be honest, in the beforementioned Balkan countries I will start in English myself!

This discussion contains 47 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version