Triglot
Canada
Joined 5229 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 41 of 67
19 July 2013 at 12:16pm | IP Logged 
I don''t use Anki myself but I'm a great fan of paper flashcards and my home-made SRS system. It seems to me
that the much of the debate is about the ability to memorize and recall either spontaneously through extensive
reading and exposure or with the help of a specific technique. Regardless of the approach adopted, what seems
to be the key is repeated exposure to the target elements.

I have my disagreements with much of the literature on the measurement of vocabulary size, but that is
another debate. But what is relevant here, in my opinion, is the distinction between the ability to recognize i.e. to
have seen it before and to surmise some "meaning" and the ability to use in an accurate and idiomatic manner.
These are two very different skills.

This distinction is particularly relevant when dealing with idioms where the actual meaning is not evident from
the component words. For example, just the other day I saw for the first time in my life the expression "to get
his clocked clean" in the sense of to be beaten up. The words themselves are quite common elements but the
ultimate meaning was unknown to me. After looking it up in the dictionary I see now what it means but it is
certainly not part of my active vocabulary.

Edited by s_allard on 19 July 2013 at 12:18pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6396 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 42 of 67
19 July 2013 at 1:52pm | IP Logged 
kujichagulia wrote:
I mean, where to find fun sentences for a word like 了解 (ryoukai - comprehension; understanding)? That is a word I put into Anki a few weeks ago, and I find that I see it and hear it often nowadays. But the sentence I had put into my Anki card was extremely boring, and I couldn't find anything more interesting.

Also, when I do put sentences into Anki that I consider to be fun and interesting, they do quickly become "un-fun". There is an expiration date on a card's "fun-ness." And that is probably because of the sheer repetition that I have to do.
I have a peculiar category of awesome sentences - various wise or touching quotes. you can find them on twitter or wikiquote, for Portuguese I recommend following Paulo Coelho (unless you dislike him). Later on you'll be able to just add quotes from the books you read.
I generally avoid sad/painful ones and choose those that at least bring the feeling of hope, or make me smile.

Quotes also last longer because they don't rely on puns etc. Like Khatzumoto said, when a joke gets old, delete the card.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5229 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 43 of 67
20 July 2013 at 12:06am | IP Logged 
While I have a moment, I'd like briefly to revisit the question of the measurement of vocabulary size. This is nearly
always receptive vocabulary and not productive vocabulary. More importantly, if you look at the methodology, none
of the tests actually count words. They all look at the words you know on a frequency scale. So, for example, if you
know the word ranked 1000th, it is assumed that you know the 999 preceding words. It's a bit more sophisticated
than that but that is how a test can use 140 questions to arrive at an estimate of the thousands of words you can
recognize.

That methodology is valid as long as one recognizes the limitations. It says nothing about the number of words you
actually use. If you were to actually count the number of words you actually use in a time period, the figures would
be totally different.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4627 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 44 of 67
20 July 2013 at 4:36pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
While I have a moment, I'd like briefly to revisit the question of
the measurement of vocabulary size. This is nearly
always receptive vocabulary and not productive vocabulary. More importantly, if you
look at the methodology, none
of the tests actually count words. They all look at the words you know on a frequency
scale. So, for example, if you
know the word ranked 1000th, it is assumed that you know the 999 preceding words. It's
a bit more sophisticated
than that but that is how a test can use 140 questions to arrive at an estimate of the
thousands of words you can
recognize.

That methodology is valid as long as one recognizes the limitations. It says nothing
about the number of words you
actually use. If you were to actually count the number of words you actually use in a
time period, the figures would
be totally different.

I seem to remember that our own Iversen reported once here that he'd analysed all
English words he'd used on HTLAL over a long period, in order to estimate his
vocabulary, and this would be active vocabulary. I'm sure he'd be the first to admit
its limitations, but I'll bet that that's the most realistic test of active vocabulary
we are likely to see in practice, in quite a long time.

(It does not cover spoken vocabulary, of course).

I'm With Stupid
Vietnam
Joined 3972 days ago

165 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Vietnamese

Message 45 of 67
20 July 2013 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
I think most modern research would suggest that the key to memorizing vocab is doing something with it. For that reason, I don't think that flashcard-based memorisation is the most effective method (which isn't to say it doesn't work at all, and everyone's results may vary). Doing something might be as simple as writing a sentence with it (which in turn helps you memorize the sentence structure you put it with), or perhaps even a sentence describing it. I find that when I use mnemonics to remember a word, it isn't so much the image I come up with that helps me remember it, but the actual process of coming up with an idea. I find that once I've thought of an idea (usually a funny image), I can usually remember the word without really having to refer back to that idea again. I suspect that once you get to a higher level, you're more likely to be able to recall vocab purely from reading, but I think initially at least, using the language is the most effective method.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4808 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 46 of 67
21 July 2013 at 12:09am | IP Logged 
You need a research to know that? :-D

(a general "you" of course)

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5229 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 47 of 67
21 July 2013 at 5:55am | IP Logged 
I'm With Stupid wrote:
I think most modern research would suggest that the key to memorizing vocab is
doing something with it. For that reason, I don't think that flashcard-based memorisation is the most effective
method (which isn't to say it doesn't work at all, and everyone's results may vary). Doing something might be as
simple as writing a sentence with it (which in turn helps you memorize the sentence structure you put it with), or
perhaps even a sentence describing it. I find that when I use mnemonics to remember a word, it isn't so much
the image I come up with that helps me remember it, but the actual process of coming up with an idea. I find that
once I've thought of an idea (usually a funny image), I can usually remember the word without really having to
refer back to that idea again. I suspect that once you get to a higher level, you're more likely to be able to recall
vocab purely from reading, but I think initially at least, using the language is the most effective method.

I totally agree except that I would phrase the idea differently. First of all, there is the fundamental distinction
between receptive and productive vocabulary. Most of what is being discussed here is the former, i.e. the ability
to recognize a lexical unit and perceive some kind of meaning, hopefully close to what was intended by the
author or emitter of the lexical unit.

The wording may sound vague or cryptic but this is to convey the idea that this passive knowledge is often quite
vague and is rarely verifiable. At best we look up the lexical unit is a bilingual or monolingual dictionary and we
assume we understand.

This is expecially true if we don't formally study the vocabulary. We just look at it in context, maybe look it up in
a dictionary, make a mental note and then move on, hoping to find it again and learn by osmosis.

Learning to use a lexical unit accurately and appropriately is a completely different skill. This requires learning to
use not learning to recognize. We have to master the elements of form, the surrounding linguistic context and
meaning. Of course, there is also the pronunciation which can be challenging by itself. This is where I agree with
the quote. To attain any serious level of proficicieny, you have to actually use the language, for memorization
and for everything else.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4332 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 48 of 67
21 July 2013 at 9:09am | IP Logged 
I'm With Stupid wrote:
I think most modern research would suggest that the key to memorizing vocab is doing something with it.

Can you point to the research?

My understanding of memory is that the act of recall is what actually strengthens the memory, which is why flash cards work. The limitation is that you tend to only learn what is on the cards. So for simple word lists you are basically just learning L1-L2 word pairings.

So my reading of the research is that flash cards are great for learning vocabulary.

I think the problem is that people sometimes fall into the trap that they think that language learning is only really about learning lots of vocabulary plus various explicit grammar rules.

I agree entirely that to learn a language you need to actively engage with it by reading/listening/speaking, but it certainly helps that when you first pick up a book you have a lot of these L1-L2 pairings in your head, not for ever, but long enough that you slowly go to L2 only.

Edited by patrickwilken on 21 July 2013 at 9:10am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 67 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version