Diglot
United States
theacademicjawa.com
Joined 3946 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: English*, French

Message 1 of 4
26 July 2013 at 1:58am | IP Logged 
Hi all! I'm looking to start studying Haitian Creole but, as one might expect, it's not the easiest language to find resources for. Does anyone have any recommendations? Podcasts or videos where I can gain listening skills? Experience with any of the few books that seem to be written on the topic? I have acquired the text "Ann pale kreyol" by Albert Vladerman but I have not found it super useful. Any information is much appreciated!

Edited by JacquelineQ on 26 July 2013 at 3:39am

1 person has voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5063 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 2 of 4
26 July 2013 at 2:48am | IP Logged 
First, welcome to the forum JacquelineQ! Second, check out my Haitian Creole Log for a lot more detail on the resources I used. I quite liked the free Kansas University Haitian Creole Resources. I used "Chita Pa Bay" which is an audio "book" with text, comprehension and grammar exercises, plus; "Ti Koze Kreyòl" which is a Haitian conversation course. Along with that I also finished the 30 lesson Pimsleur Haitian Creole course. Since you speak French already HC should present you with few problems. I also used a pamphlet about the Everglades restoration intended for elementary students: Wayne Drop which is all about a rain drop's journey through the Everglades (yon ti gout dlo ak sa vwayaj nan Everglades la). The pamphlet is a translation from English. There's also a Spanish translation available on the site too. You could make a bilingual or even a trilingual text.

There's actually quite a lot of resources available to learn HC. You can find a bunch of resources available in the Educavision catalog. Sometimes, you have to spend some money. They have "The Little Prince" (Ti prens lan) in HC and a good beginner to intermediate textbook with audio developed by a native speaker called "Pawòl lakay" which I'm working through right now along with the DLI HC Basic Course, which has horrible audio but at this stage, I don't really need it because I listen to HC podcasts 4 days a week.

The problem with the language is a dearth of native materials for reading in the language. Both indigenous and translated literature are rare. So is native language cinema. I will stop at B-1 equivalent level because once I achieve that, I don't really see any reason to continue to improve beyond intermediate, for my purposes.

If I can help further, please feel free to PM me.

Edited by iguanamon on 26 July 2013 at 5:07pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Baracuda
Groupie
United States
Joined 5606 days ago

53 posts - 81 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, French, Russian, German

Message 3 of 4
05 August 2013 at 12:23am | IP Logged 
Here are two that I know of.

DLI Haitian Basic Course:
http://jlu.wbtrain.com/sumtotal/language/dli%20basic%20cours es/Haitian%20Creole/

And here is a link to info about Indiana Universities Ann Pale Kreyol which I know you
don't need, but on that page there is a link where you can download 10 hours of recorded
interviews in Haitian Kreyol with transcripts included:
http://www.indiana.edu/~creole/home.html

2 persons have voted this message useful

Darklight1216
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4901 days ago

411 posts - 639 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German

Message 4 of 4
05 August 2013 at 3:42am | IP Logged 
You might want to check your librarys catalog for a pimsleur, ty, and/or mango language
course.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version