Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4342 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 25 of 28
03 September 2013 at 10:25am | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
Unfortunately that leaves me with a number of languages which I only can speak on conferences (Esperanto) or not at all (Platt).

There is Platt on Twitter: Plattsnack

Edited by patrickwilken on 03 September 2013 at 2:58pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6512 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 26 of 28
03 September 2013 at 12:26pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
I thought (perhaps elsewhere), Iversen implied it was not as healthy as it once was, even a small number of decades ago. However, I've just re-read his last post, and he was talking about preferring to immerse himself in the dominant language, and perhaps that wouldn't be Platt, even in areas where it is still spoken.

The one time I have been to East Frisia (? 10 years ago?) a young man I spoke to said
proudly "wir sprechen hier Platt", but he only spoke to me in Hochdeutsch (wisely since I would probably not have understood full-blown Platt).

I see a few token messages in Platt here and there in the cities in Northern German, and there may still be the odd TV program in Platt on on a Sunday morning once a month - but to find real living speakers in the cities is like finding a needle in a haystack. Maybe there are a few elderly ladies in the country side, but you can't just step out of the local bus and wait at the roadside for a native speaker. As I wrote, you more or less need to settle in a minority language area to find those people who still proudly speak their old language to foreigners.

If I had met that young man from East Friesland then I wouldn't have let him escape that easily - my Low German may not be perfect and I certainly don't know all the dialect words, but I wouldn't blow a chance to use it. Apart from my video I have only spoken it once: at the polyglot conference I was speaking Dutch when I accidentally included a couple of Low German words - and then I thought that precisely Dutch speakers at a polyglot conference might be able to understand Platt so I decide to switch to that language, and it seemed to function. The quality of my speech was probably dismal with so little notice, but I did use the opportunity when it arose.

BTW it's the same thing with our old dialects here in Denmark. I know persons who speak more or less hardcore dialect here, but mostly in the countryside, and mostly quiet people without much contact with foreigners - else they would have switched to Standard Danish long ago.

patrickwilken wrote:
Iversen wrote:
Unfortunately that leaves me with a number of languages which I only can speak on conferences (Esperanto) or not at all (Platt).

There is Platt on Twitter: @Plattsnack !

Unfortunately there is not 'me' on Twitter. If I somehow miraculously did enter the 21. century I might timidly try Skype, but then stop at the doorstep of Facebook and never ever reach the blessed realm of Twitter. But thanks for the tip.

Edited by Iversen on 04 September 2013 at 1:14pm

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4668 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 27 of 28
03 September 2013 at 11:16pm | IP Logged 
Luxembourg, Malta, Oslo, Stockholm, Amsterdam too :-] Paris seems to be nice too, but it has some other disadvantages, so I would prefer something like Oslo Amsterdam :P
Oh, and Sarajevo - you'll be able to learn three languages: Serbian, Bosnian and Croatian :D

Edited by prz_ on 03 September 2013 at 11:17pm

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4653 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 28 of 28
03 September 2013 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
My wife says they used to have Platt reading competitions in her school to keep the language alive. She also thinks there is a theater group in Hamburg that puts on Platt plays.

That would be the Ohnsorg-Theater. You can also read about it on Wikipedia.

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version