Heptaglot
France
Joined 4442 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 9 of 28
30 August 2013 at 3:37pm | IP Logged 
Thanks to everyone for pointing to the foreign language section on the UK site. Clearly it is not as visible as on e.g. the French site, where you have a button at the very top of the "Kindle" page.

Cavesa, the problem isn't whether you are in the country or not, the problem is that Amazon only lets you have one Kindle account, either linked to their global .com site or to one of the national European sites. When I registered my Kindle account with them, I had to choose between amazon.com or amazon.fr (as I live in France). So I cannot buy from amazon.co.uk, amazon.es or amazon.de, as I do not live in any of those countries. However, I have bought physical stuff, like paperbacks, DVDs etc. from both amazon.de and amazon.co.uk without any problem, it is all rather strange.

I really think it is time digital content was treated in the same way as physical content - but it seems both politicians and industry are way behind the technological development when it comes to adapting laws and practices. If an EU-wide petition is launched I'll certainly sign it. The European Parliament actively encourages EU citizens to send them petitions, as per this link.
1 person has voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4631 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 10 of 28
30 August 2013 at 6:03pm | IP Logged 
Ogrim wrote:
Thanks to everyone for pointing to the foreign language section on the
UK site. Clearly it is not as visible as on e.g. the French site, where you have a
button at the very top of the "Kindle" page.

Cavesa, the problem isn't whether you are in the country or not, the problem is that
Amazon only lets you have one Kindle account, either linked to their global .com site
or to one of the national European sites. When I registered my Kindle account with
them, I had to choose between amazon.com or amazon.fr (as I live in France). So I
cannot buy from amazon.co.uk, amazon.es or amazon.de, as I do not live in any of those
countries. However, I have bought physical stuff, like paperbacks, DVDs etc. from both
amazon.de and amazon.co.uk without any problem, it is all rather strange.

I really think it is time digital content was treated in the same way as physical
content - but it seems both politicians and industry are way behind the technological
development when it comes to adapting laws and practices. If an EU-wide petition is
launched I'll certainly sign it. The European Parliament actively encourages EU
citizens to send them petitions, as per this
[URL=http://www.europarl.europa.eu/aboutparliament/en/00533cec74/Petitions.html]link[/U
RL].

Perhaps you (and anyone else who feels strongly) should write to your MEP.

They are well paid, and I've never been sure what they do, but perhaps this is
something they might actually be useful for.

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4442 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 11 of 28
30 August 2013 at 6:43pm | IP Logged 
Montmorency, I live a short walk from the European Parliament building so I could tell you a lot about what
MEPs do, but this forum is not the place for it.

Being from Norway which is not in the EU I don't have a MEP, but I guess I could make some noises with the
help of French and British friends I have here.

Anyway, my point with this thread was not to start a debate on e-policy, but rather to raise the point about
finding e-books in foreign languages. I took amazon as an example because it is one of the major players,
but would be interested in knowing what others have to offer as well.

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4471 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 12 of 28
30 August 2013 at 9:35pm | IP Logged 
Most Norwegian bookstores sell e-books in Norwegian (you can choose between Bokmaal and Nynorsk),
but with a hefty price tag.

Digitalization more often than not means a digital book (be it in an pdf form or as an Android/Kindle/Apple format) is sold at the very same price as the print/paper book. There is no printing/ink/paper cost, yet they still sell it at the original price?!

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4425 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 13 of 28
30 August 2013 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
I sometimes wonder how people actually learned languages in the past, unless they were in the country
where the language was spoken. We have so many resources at our fingertips nowadays: online dictionaries,
TV & radio available worldwide, instantly downloadable e-books, Skype chats, podcasts, language
exchanges, cheap flights, endless video footage.

Sure, the learner still has to put in the work but there is just so much material out there and so many ways to
interact with native speakers.
2 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4692 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 14 of 28
30 August 2013 at 11:14pm | IP Logged 
Just a thought: If I buy a kindle from Amazon.fr, and register it under a new name and
account, could I then buy French eBooks on it even though I'm in the States?

(I'm going to cross-post this on MetaFilter; I'll let you all know if I learn anything
there).

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4631 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 15 of 28
31 August 2013 at 1:27am | IP Logged 
beano wrote:
I sometimes wonder how people actually learned languages in the past,
unless they were in the country
where the language was spoken. We have so many resources at our fingertips nowadays:
online dictionaries,
TV & radio available worldwide, instantly downloadable e-books, Skype chats, podcasts,
language

I wonder, for example, about people like Queen Elizabeth I, who supposedly spoke 6
foreign languages by the age of 11, and also knew some Portuguese and Welsh (the latter
of particular interest to me, as I've recently started learning it - the fact that she
was a Tudor may explain the Welsh).

I imagine that she may have had native-speaking tutors.
hmm....according to Wikipedia, her teachers seem to have been mostly English native
speakers, although she appears to have learned Cornish from a Cornishman.

However, less privileged people would not have had these advantages, and yet there have
been other examples of prolific language ability in earlier times, when technology was
not a factor (other than book-printing technology).

It seems that Queen Elizabeth I was a very well-educated woman, although it is also
possible that some of the accounts of her proficiency may also be due to a certain
amount of sycophancy, or that it might not always have been possible to accurately
assess her actual, as opposed to her apparent proficiency.

EDIT: I was thinking more about this. Perhaps the secret (in E. I's case) was having
personal tutoring, even if they weren't necessarily native speakers.

When I thought about it, I realised that a lot of the linguists well-known to HTLAL-ers
and similar places have used tutors at least for certain periods, or have actually been
or still are tutors, or both. If I remember correctly, Splog, Benny, and Luca, for
example, have all made use of tutors at certain times, and I think Luca tutors in
several languages of which he is not a native speaker. I think several regular
contributors to HTLAL are themselves tutors.

What may possibly be drawn from this is that, although they may happen to use internet
and Skype (or similar) technology to make this happen easily, the "magic" ingredient is
the personal and individual contact. This has always been possible, long before
technology made it easy, if one was prepared to work hard enough to find the right
person (or lucky enough to have one "given" to you). So maybe that's the main secret of
successful linguists / polyglots of the past.

Edited by montmorency on 31 August 2013 at 2:56pm

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6712 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 16 of 28
31 August 2013 at 1:45am | IP Logged 
beano wrote:
I sometimes wonder how people actually learned languages in the past, unless they were in the country where the language was spoken. We have so many resources at our fingertips nowadays: online dictionaries, TV & radio available worldwide, instantly downloadable e-books, Skype chats, podcasts, language

Sure, the learner still has to put in the work but there is just so much material out there and so many ways to
interact with native speakers.

A thread from 12 May 2009:
Language Studies in the past

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version