Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4676 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 25 of 28
04 September 2013 at 9:15pm | IP Logged 
I searched for "Japanese edition" in the kindle section and found out that there are
also some Japanese ebooks available on Amazon UK.

They don't work on the PC clients though. :/
1 person has voted this message useful

JoeMcC
Pentaglot
United States
joe185.wordpress.com
Joined 5367 days ago

17 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: English*, Irish, Spanish, Mandarin, French
Studies: Scottish Gaelic, German, Catalan, Breton

Message 26 of 28
20 October 2013 at 8:26am | IP Logged 
I'm in the USA. I have been trying to decide whether to get a Barnes & Noble Nook HD or Kindle (Best Buy is getting some new Kindle Fires this week). I want to do more than half of my e-book reading in languages other than English.

I was surprised to find a decent selection of books in Irish at the e-bookshops for both. They were the same books at Amazon Kindle's shop and B&N, so I think publisher initiative may have something to do with it. Three recent books were available of the four that I looked for, plus some older books.

I am leary of the selection for other languages (other than Spanish). It won't be like going into a bookstore and getting bestsellers, older light or serious literature or translated books. I found a lot of univ. textbooks and cookbooks in French at Amazon but only a sampling of recent and modern fiction. When I searched for specific titles, I was very disappointed. Same with Italian. I could find no Marguerite Yourcenar or Umberto Eco. And no Steven King!

I'd like to hear from people in the US about their experiences.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4631 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 27 of 28
20 October 2013 at 5:14pm | IP Logged 
JoeMcC wrote:
I'm in the USA. I have been trying to decide whether to get a Barnes &
Noble Nook HD or Kindle (Best Buy is getting some new Kindle Fires this week). I want
to do more than half of my e-book reading in languages other than English.

I was surprised to find a decent selection of books in Irish at the e-bookshops for
both. They were the same books at Amazon Kindle's shop and B&N, so I think publisher
initiative may have something to do with it. Three recent books were available of the
four that I looked for, plus some older books.

I am leary of the selection for other languages (other than Spanish). It won't be like
going into a bookstore and getting bestsellers, older light or serious literature or
translated books. I found a lot of univ. textbooks and cookbooks in French at Amazon
but only a sampling of recent and modern fiction. When I searched for specific titles,
I was very disappointed. Same with Italian. I could find no Marguerite Yourcenar or
Umberto Eco. And no Steven King!

I'd like to hear from people in the US about their experiences.

I don't know if it's worth looking outside Amazon and B&N and looking around for
vendors who sell EPUB versions of titles you might be interested. You could then use
Calibre to convert it for use on your Kindle or Nook.

I think the German e-book market is relatively well-developed, and I know there are
translations of Jussi Adler Olsen's books into German available as EPUBs. (Those may
not be to your specific taste, but an example of one popular author who is available,
and I'm sure there are others.

JoeMcC
Pentaglot
United States
joe185.wordpress.com
Joined 5367 days ago

17 posts - 18 votes
Speaks: English*, Irish, Spanish, Mandarin, French
Studies: Scottish Gaelic, German, Catalan, Breton

Message 28 of 28
20 October 2013 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, Montmorency. That's helpful. We're not limited to Amazon and the Nook. Diolch yn fawr/Danke sehr.

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version