Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5143 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 59
01 September 2013 at 10:24pm | IP Logged 
Russian teachers and I seem to be at odds when it comes to learning styles. They try to teach me grammar,
and are very pleased when I have learned the rule, and can answer the exercises correctly. Regardless of
how many times I try to explain to them that learning the rules helps me very little, that I learn by listening and
being corrected, and that even though I may know the rules I still make mistakes when I speak, they persist. I
learned Spanish and French without studying a single hour of grammar - and both my French and my Spansh
are quite good, with very few grammar mistakes.

In German, which I have learned at school, I have learned grammar rules to the point where that will most
probably be the last knowledge I forget when I become senile, but my grammar is appalling.

Am I the only one to be wired that way?I guess to a certain point I "do learn like a child", which is probably
why class room teaching does very little for me. Can the rest of you learn a grammar rule, and then apply it
correctly from that day forward? Am I the only freak here, or are there more grammar haters out there?

I see grammar as useful for giving me a general understanding of the language, but it does not teach me to
speak the language. How does it work for the rest of you guys?
4 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4818 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 2 of 59
01 September 2013 at 10:45pm | IP Logged 
Are you in a class or individual lessons? I thought you were getting individual lessons (my mistake if I remember wrong) in which case I don't understand why the teacher is the one making rules.

We all need different approaches but I'd say doing grammar drills with a teacher is the worst waste of time and money. Who needs the exercises and rules (I prefer them) can do them on our own without any discomfort. If you pay a teacher, it's better to use her/him for things you have more trouble doing yourself in my opinion such as getting directly corrected.

But grammar rules is not the only nonsense of this kind, there are other similarily crazy "teaching methods" (and when the crap doesn't work for you, the teacher just blames you for not doing their idea right). When you are a kid at school, you have to suffer them. When you are an adult in a paid class, or even paying one on one lessons, it is way different.

I personally need the grammar rules and exercises for my active skills. I can get the passive knowledge purely by input (my passive Spanish grammar is totally ok, I nearly always know exactly what the person in the tv show wanted to say using it) but I cannot speak without having actively learnt the grammar. At first, I need the rules and exercises but as the time goes and I practice, it all becomes automatic.
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4516 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 3 of 59
01 September 2013 at 10:48pm | IP Logged 
I do learn the grammar rules in the middle somewhere, I always have a period in every
language where I look them up and try to get them right, but when I speak, all of that
goes out the window. My grammar in most languages is generally acceptable. It could be
better usually, but then, nobody really complains about a few mistakes if they get the
point, and usually they are pretty happy I speak the language at all.

But I do like conjugation and declension tables just for the overview.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5143 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 4 of 59
01 September 2013 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
@cavesa: I have an individual tutor, ( or actually three different ones) which is why I do not understand why
sometimes it is so difficult to get a system which works for me. If I am in a class with several pupils, I just
adapt to whatever system they have, but one would think that in a private class it would be easier to get your
way.

Lately I have turned to just overruling the teacher though. I have been too shy to speak Russian so far, but
now I start talking from the moment I get in, and I do not shut up until it is time to leave. I must drive them
crazy, since I make a zillion mistakes, but I have noticed significant improvements over the last month.

Do you then feel that the drills translate into you mastering the grammar and being able to eliminate those
mistakes?
2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4516 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 5 of 59
01 September 2013 at 11:07pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
Lately I have turned to just overruling the teacher though. I
have been too shy to speak Russian so far, but
now I start talking from the moment I get in, and I do not shut up until it is time to
leave. I must drive them
crazy, since I make a zillion mistakes, but I have noticed significant improvements over
the last month.

This is their job. And when I tutor Dutch or English, I encourage people to talk and make
mistakes. That's how people learn.
2 persons have voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4668 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 6 of 59
01 September 2013 at 11:43pm | IP Logged 
Because some of us prefer contact with people rather than poring over the books?
So easy answer...

Fuenf_Katzen
Diglot
United States
notjustajd.wordpress
Joined 4178 days ago

337 posts - 476 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Polish, Ukrainian, Afrikaans

Message 7 of 59
02 September 2013 at 12:07am | IP Logged 
For me, what I've found is something in between. I need a lot of listening and reading to be able to use the language "naturally," but I really can't guess grammar from only reading and listening. I also wonder if this might be different for me with different languages though; it's very possible that in a language without a very different grammar, I wouldn't need to do drills and exercises as much.
5 persons have voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4099 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 8 of 59
02 September 2013 at 1:19am | IP Logged 
I think I am the opposite, I need heavy amounts of grammar in my learning. If I do not
have elongated grammar practise, drills, written exercises and rules, I get confused an
lost very easily. When I was a teenager, I tried to learn Dutch without emphasising
much on grammar, and I could understand somewhat the sentences, speaking was borderline
passable, albeit with mistakes, but I had serious problems even writing simple
sentences. Now, several years after, I almost exclusively use a method of practising
grammar for Dutch,
and things like word order (which probably is not as crucial as in other languages)
makes much more sense and I progress at least five times quicker. I also started doing
this with grammar drill/exercise books for basically every language whereon I try to
improve right now. Before I practised Dutch grammar, my writing was so poor that I was
using plural conjugations for singular pronouns, using the present perfect for the
continuous, and committing all sorts of errors that I eventually stopped because I
confused myself so badly, and then relearnt everything with the new method.

For example, at least for me, when I learnt Spanish tenses in secondary school, all the
inflections on each
six endings have to be memorised and drilled for me to remember them for both speech
and writing. I am completely comfortable with the subjunctive now, but it literally
took me months of practising to finally master it, even out of class. I doubt I could
do it without I need months of grammatical practise, and that is partly why I like
those
grammar workbooks like Practise Makes Perfect.

Likewise in my native English, I went to grammar school, so perhaps that
affects my opinion. But what I am not sure is, without grammar, how does one in English
know to say "we are" instead of "we is". I could forgo learning the verb conjugations
and if I see "he is" I might just assume that perhaps "is" could be used with any other
pronoun. But I remember, long ago, in primary school, at some point there was a lesson
with a
chart of "I am, you are, he/she/it is, we are, you are, they are". It seems that just
looking at that could facilitate learning than trying to combine pieces of information
together.

To me, learning language without grammar is like how some people say they learn music
playing "by ear", something I cannot do even after playing guitar for eight years and
bass for six (albeit for fun and I am mediocre at very best). I.e. learning without
grammar is like someone hearing a song on piano and can play the whole thing out
without music sheets, whilst someone like me needs to practise piano scales for months
and learn music theory to play properly. Or perhaps I am just not as talented..

Edited by 1e4e6 on 02 September 2013 at 1:29am

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 59 messages over 8 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version