Mexico
thepolyglotist.com
Joined 4132 days ago

280 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Japanese, Italian
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 9 of 29
10 September 2013 at 8:30pm | IP Logged 
I may get pelted with rotten tomatoes for adding this, but group video chats in Skype are a Premium feature, so while one-on-one video calls would be feasible, for all the members of one language group to get together (if we happened to be online at the same time) would be impossible for those without Premium.
I also don't love group text chats in Skype because the last time I ever was to one, people kept writing at the same time and it was chaotic to say the least.

However...
As of late I've been exploring Google Plus a lot. I know everyone from The Pope to the Bronx Zoo's escapee cobra is in Facebook while not everyone has Google Plus, but if there's one thing I really like about it, it would be its Hangout feature, which allows for free group chats of up to 10 people (I think). The video/audio quality is exactly the same as Skype, with the added benefit of being able to show what's on your desktop as well, so if you have material you'd like to show to other language students, you can (and like in Skype, if you're shy but want to talk, you can disable your camera but leave your mic on).

If those who don't have G+ are willing to sign up, and those who do have it express interest in joining, I'd love to create a HTLAL community. As for the why, communities in G+ can be split into sub-categories (these would be aimed to specific language groups) where moderators and participants alike can get together and agree on an specific date, then pre-schedule that Hangout so everyone involved will get a reminder. People can also create unscheduled Hangouts, so if two or three people happened to be online at the same time, that's also feasible.

Slightly unrelated, but Communities also have a group calendar feature, so if any members were in geographic vicinity and wanted to schedule a meet-up in real life, that could also be set up so people find out when and where it's happening.

I know signing up to yet ANOTHER social network might come as a pain in the butt to a lot of people, but I really like prz_'s idea and would like to help see it through, if only in a slightly more orderly fashion. Please let me know if you're interested in participating, and I'll get right down to creating the group and sending invites!
5 persons have voted this message useful

Abayomi
Canada
Joined 3927 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 10 of 29
11 September 2013 at 1:45am | IP Logged 
I would be really thrilled to do something like that for German or Mandarin. And I
wouldn't mind signing up for Google+ to do so, like Lakeseayesno suggested.
1 person has voted this message useful

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4226 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 11 of 29
11 September 2013 at 4:34am | IP Logged 
I actually think I already have a google plus account, I just never really got into using it before... So that works well
for me!

BaronBill
Triglot
United States
HowToLanguages.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4487 days ago

335 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, German
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Persian

Message 12 of 29
11 September 2013 at 4:46am | IP Logged 
I have a G+ account and use Hangouts quite a bit. I think it's fantastic. I'd love to participate.

Tsopivo
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4269 days ago

258 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Esperanto

Message 13 of 29
11 September 2013 at 5:52am | IP Logged 
That's a great idea. I would definitively participate.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4626 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 14 of 29
11 September 2013 at 8:02am | IP Logged 
The SSiW folk have a google+ hangout thing going, and by the sound of it, it works well.

I've avoided google+ so far, because I simply didn't want to join in yet another "social
network" (I also have some issues with google generally, but leave that aside), but if it
works and it's free, I might be tempted.

Edited by montmorency on 11 September 2013 at 8:03am

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4964 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 15 of 29
11 September 2013 at 3:48pm | IP Logged 
I don't mind the platform, though I'm already used to Skype.

I'd like to join groups for Georgian, Mandarin, French, Norwegian, German, Spanish,
Esperanto and I wouldn't mind setting up groups for Portuguese and Papiamento.

BaronBill
Triglot
United States
HowToLanguages.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4487 days ago

335 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, German
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Persian

Message 16 of 29
11 September 2013 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
Maybe we should start a thread with people's Google+ information as well as what language(s) they are interested in. That way people could connect with each other on G+ and work out the details on their own. Thoughts?

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 13 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version