United States
Joined 4534 days ago

190 posts - 344 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Portuguese, Japanese
Studies: Spanish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 17 of 29
11 September 2013 at 10:43pm | IP Logged 
I have G+ although I haven't used it much.

Would it be more efficient to create a thread for each group, either in the Specific
Languages forum or the forum for that language? Or would it be just as efficient, as
BaronBill suggests, to just list our own information and seek each other out?

The question also remains, what exactly would we do in these groups? Would they be geared
more towards beginners or advanced learners? I'm really not sure myself which would be
more useful.
1 person has voted this message useful

Lakeseayesno
Tetraglot
Mexico
thepolyglotist.com
Joined 4132 days ago

280 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Japanese, Italian
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 18 of 29
12 September 2013 at 12:16am | IP Logged 
I suggested creating a group because it is a more orderly way to get in touch with several people with similar language interests, all at the same time, instead of getting in touch with them one by one.

The point would be to make this community into a rendezvous point for HTLALers, with a few added benefits (scheduled and unscheduled Hangouts, interest groups organized by target language, the possibility of adding related information, videos and links to each sub-page as well as requests for help, community calendar, etc). Why create a "directory" thread in the Specific Languages forum when the community would be a directory in itself?

Edited by Lakeseayesno on 12 September 2013 at 12:16am

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4626 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 19 of 29
12 September 2013 at 1:06pm | IP Logged 
Lakeseayesno wrote:
I suggested creating a group because it is a more orderly way to
get in touch with several people with similar language interests, all at the same time,
instead of getting in touch with them one by one.

The point would be to make this community into a rendezvous point for HTLALers, with a
few added benefits (scheduled and unscheduled Hangouts, interest groups organized by
target language, the possibility of adding related information, videos and links to
each sub-page as well as requests for help, community calendar, etc). Why create a
"directory" thread in the Specific Languages forum when the community would be a
directory in itself?

If that's how G+ Hangouts work, then fine.
If it works, it would probably become a self-sufficient spinoff of HTLAL, not really
needing HTLAL at all, although of course, new HTLAL members who are interested will be
pointed there.

And at least the boss of G+ won't go AWOL for 4 years+, although he might be passing
your personal secrets to the NSA. :-}

3 persons have voted this message useful

Lakeseayesno
Tetraglot
Mexico
thepolyglotist.com
Joined 4132 days ago

280 posts - 488 votes 

Message 20 of 29
12 September 2013 at 5:47pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
And at least the boss of G+ won't go AWOL for 4 years+, although he might be passing your personal secrets to the NSA. :-}

Maybe so. However, I don't know about your personal secrets, guys, but mine also happen to be a powerful sedative, so unless the guys at NSA are interested in some light reading before bed... :p

Lakeseayesno
Tetraglot
Mexico
thepolyglotist.com
Joined 4132 days ago

280 posts - 488 votes 

Message 21 of 29
13 September 2013 at 1:35am | IP Logged 
Thanks to everyone who showed enthusiasm about this idea. I've gone ahead and created the Community, so everyone who's got a G+ account can go ahead and look up for "HTLAL - Language Learning Den" in the Communities section. I've already set up a bunch of categories based upon checking the languages being currently learnt by everyone who responded they'd like to do this, but if I missed one, let me know and I'll add it ASAP.

In an effort to weed out both people unrelated to these forums and trolls, and to keep things a bit more private, I made it so the community shows up in the search but isn't public, so you'll have to request admission before posting. However, thanks to my job I spend two thirds of the day glued to the computer, so don't worry, you probably won't have to wait long.

By the way, I thought a lot about this, and I think that if anyone here has a friend or acquaintance in G+ who's a serious language learner but not a HTLAL member, we should be able to go ahead and let them know about the community. The point is to make this community a fun place to practice a language, not an hyper-exclusive club, and from where I stand, referral by a HTLAL member should be enough to be allowed in (and besides, if there are no members to practice a language with, the existence of this community would be moot to start with).

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4626 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 22 of 29
13 September 2013 at 2:11am | IP Logged 
@Lakeseayesno,

Good man Lakeseayesno.

Sometimes it just takes someone to take the initiative.

Hoping to meet some German, Danish or Welsh(?) speakers on G+ before too long.

EDIT: I've applied to join the group, but as I don't know a thing about G+, it will
take me a while to learn my way around the mechanics of the system.

....the usual boring system stuff.

Edited by montmorency on 13 September 2013 at 2:23am

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4657 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 23 of 29
13 September 2013 at 9:56am | IP Logged 
In recent days I've been rather quiet in this thread, but it's all because of my exams and uni difficulties... I haven't forgotten abut the idea and my "Polish promise" ;)

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5005 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 24 of 29
13 September 2013 at 10:52am | IP Logged 
Cool, finally a reason to use that Google+ account that I signed up for years ago but never found a use for!

This discussion contains 29 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version