Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5676 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 41 of 58
26 September 2013 at 1:30am | IP Logged 
Does anyone have any ideas for studying the profile words?
1 person has voted this message useful

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6914 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 42 of 58
26 September 2013 at 9:36am | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
Does anyone have any ideas for studying the profile words?

I had some vague idea at the moment that I would tackle them via Anki.

My initial thought was I would probably put the French and Spanish words on one side of
the card and the other L2 languages on the other - I'm currently undecided whether
which will be front and back at the moment - i.e. should I learn them actively or
passively?

The problem with that approach is it's unlike how I generally use Anki - preferring to
input phrases to provide context. I say generally because I'm currently learning
Maltese and the self-study beginner's course I'm using has lists of words which I've
put into Anki - L1->L2. Unfortunately, I'm coming to realise that not only do I not
like word-lists, they don't appear to like me either.

A better approach would possibly be the same simple phrase in French and Spanish to
provide context with their equivalents in the other Romance languages on the other
side. The issue then, of course, is sourcing the phrases in all the languages.

One possible source is the following site....

http://www.goethe-verlag.com/book2/index.htm

I signed up several hundred years ago but haven't made much use of it.

Other than that, I'm open to ideas.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5676 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 43 of 58
26 September 2013 at 10:32am | IP Logged 
I made a card format that essentially has no back. On the front i've got the English definition (it might be better to put the French or Spanish, like you), then all the other words appear with a black box over them. When i mouse over the word appears. I'm not sure if this is really a good method to do so or not (here are some screenshots):
http://www.mirari.fr/YVVr
http://www.mirari.fr/06fc

Afterwards, i display all at once and choose how well i remembered them.
http://www.mirari.fr/aClE

I'm not sure if it'd be better to learn them individually or not.

Edited by Crush on 26 September 2013 at 10:35am

2 persons have voted this message useful

dmaddock1
United States
Joined 5244 days ago

174 posts - 426 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Esperanto, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 44 of 58
26 September 2013 at 2:34pm | IP Logged 
Crush: brilliant idea with the mouse-over. Wish I could do something like that on the iPhone/iPad.

I prefer phrases in theory too, but word lists are so much easier to come by ready-made, especially when chasing down content that's filtered by frequency.

I had the same Anki aspirations to the point that I'd reproduced all the tables as spreadsheets for import into Anki. I've also considered making decks based on the language "mini-portraits"

The Seven Sieves, vocabulary lists:
Completely Pan-Romance Vocabulary
Nucleus of the Pan-Romance Vocabulary
Supplementary Pan-Romance Vocabulary
Pan-Romance from Learned Latin
Pan-Romance from Germanic Languages
Romance Profile Words

I still have a page or two to transcribe for the Profile Words table, but since I've now shared these publicly, I'll try to finish it up today. (EDIT: done)

I haven't actually drilled any of this in Anki yet, but I expect I will eventually.

Edited by dmaddock1 on 26 September 2013 at 6:30pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5676 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 45 of 58
26 September 2013 at 3:55pm | IP Logged 
Awesome, thank you! I'd pulled them from the website (here), but it's not complete either. I'll work on adding the rest, too, so if you don't get around to it don't worry about it.

Also, Andy_E, i'd be interested to hear more about your sentence idea. There's also Glosbe.com, but it doesn't include audio. I wouldn't mind putting for the effort to get a really nice anki deck, i'm just not sure how to go about learning these words. Having so much information on one card is a bit overwhelming. I wonder if it wouldn't be better to put the exceptions as the question and have the regular words as responses...

EDITS: Here're the last two pages:
http://www.mirari.fr/JfqQ

And here's the Anki (2.0) deck:
http://www.mirari.fr/jMIM

It's divided into 7 columns, one for each language and an English translation. Even if you want to restructure the cards (ie. you don't like how i test them) all the information is there to rearrange however you like. Altogether i've got 316 cards. I thought i read somewhere that there were around 400, so i don't know if this is all of them, but i'm pretty sure every word listed in the book is in here.

And lastly, i'm a little unsure about some of the translations in the list, for example i'm pretty sure "flat" in Spanish/Portuguese should both be "plano" instead of "plato" and "prato" respectively (and "pla" in Catalan rather than "plat").

Edited by Crush on 26 September 2013 at 5:22pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

dmaddock1
United States
Joined 5244 days ago

174 posts - 426 votes 

Message 46 of 58
26 September 2013 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
I wonder if it wouldn't be better to put the exceptions as the question and have the regular words as responses...

Yeah, I think the missing bit is going through the table and marking the exceptions, then structuring the cards to drill those, rather than the ones that are regular.

Another related resource is the book The Loom of Language which has been mentioned in the forum before. It covers similar comparative ground and has extensive tables for the big Romance and Germanic languages. My digitization for the Romance one is here. (Still working on the Germanic one.)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5676 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 47 of 58
27 September 2013 at 1:22am | IP Logged 
Do you have an idea how to go about that? In Anki the only thing i can think of would be having an extra column for each language and putting values in the exception language(s). It's definitely doable, but not very pretty.

I think being prompted with the exception and having to respond with one of the regular pan-romance words (or the English) would be fine. Alternatively you could have all the regular words and be prompted for the irregular word.

dmaddock1
United States
Joined 5244 days ago

174 posts - 426 votes 

Message 48 of 58
27 September 2013 at 3:50pm | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
Do you have an idea how to go about that? In Anki the only thing i can think of would be having an extra column for each language and putting values in the exception language(s). It's definitely doable, but not very pretty.

Unfortunately, no. I've been pondering this since yesterday and haven't come up with a more elegant way. In Anki 1, you could selectively generate cards manually which is what I would've done in the past, but that's gone in Anki 2.

This discussion contains 58 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version