Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5676 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 49 of 58
27 September 2013 at 5:02pm | IP Logged 
Neither can i. I'm going to try setting it up and seeing how it feels. There will be a separate card for every language, so if there's only one profile word in a group there will be one card. If there are 3 profile words, there will be 3 cards.

EDIT: I'm going through one by one but i'm not always sure which is/are the profile word(s)... Often times French/Italian are similar and Portuguese/Spanish, too. If someone could mark the profile words i could go through and fix them in the Anki set...

EDIT: Actually, maybe the best thing to do would be to pick which words to study when you learn a new group.

EDIT: I've tried a bunch of different methods to get the cards working in Anki, unfortunately Anki doesn't support generating cards when fields are empty (using {{^FieldName}}), and {{#Tags}} doesn't generate cards either.

EDIT: And here's the deck:
http://www.mirari.fr/Tr4U

To use it, you'll need to go through the cards first. It'll ask you to pick the words you want to learn, press "e" (edit) and put any value in the languages you want to study. If you don't know the Romanian word, for example, put a "1" in that field. You can pick as many fields as you want. If you want to look at the words again, you can click the "Continue now" button. Once you've selected them all, delete the value in the delete field. Continue selecting as many as you want. When you're ready to study them, go to "Tools->Empty Cards" and remove the empty cards. To get the cards to show up first, you'll need to go to the explorer, highlight them, and reposition them. So:
1. Press "e".
2. Type any character in the languages you want to study.
3. Delete the character from the "delete" field.
4. Pass the card and repeat with as many cards as you want.
5. When finished, go to "Tools->Empty Cards" to delete the empty cards.
6. Open the explorer and reposition the newly created cards.

It's a bit of work, but i couldn't find a cleaner solution. I've just started going through the list, here are some settings you might want for this deck.
1. Show new cards in the order they were added.
2. Show reviews first, then new cards.

If someone comes up with a better option, i'm all ears :)

Edited by Crush on 27 September 2013 at 8:42pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Andy E
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6914 days ago

1651 posts - 1939 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 50 of 58
29 September 2013 at 4:43pm | IP Logged 
Blimey! some people have been busy.

Thanks to all for the effort put in.

Downloading now...
1 person has voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5676 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 51 of 58
02 October 2013 at 2:30pm | IP Logged 
I've finished the seven sieves and now am going through the language profiles, starting with Romanian. I made a deck of the Romanian profile words, i'll upload it later in case anyone's interested.

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5676 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 52 of 58
06 October 2013 at 5:16pm | IP Logged 
Here's the Romanian profile words/minilex list:
http://www.mediafire.com/?cazu86f0f84al84

EDIT: I also can't seem to edit the first post. I was going to put all the things we've uploaded in the first post just to keep things organized..

Edited by Crush on 06 October 2013 at 5:18pm

dmaddock1
United States
Joined 5244 days ago

174 posts - 426 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Esperanto, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 53 of 58
06 October 2013 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
I also can't seem to edit the first post.

The edit button disappears after awhile. I've still been able to edit old posts though if I reconstruct what the edit link should be. (Find one of your new posts, copy the edit link, then replace the PID field with the number for your old post.) Try this:

http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/edit_post.asp?PID =460601&PN=1&TPN=1
2 persons have voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5676 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 54 of 58
06 October 2013 at 6:45pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, i never would've thought about that. I've added the decks to the first post :)

alang
Diglot
Canada
Joined 7032 days ago

563 posts - 757 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 55 of 58
13 October 2013 at 6:28am | IP Logged 

I just ordered "EuroComRom - Los siete tamices: Un fácil aprendizaje de la lectura en
todas las lenguas románicas". I do prefer the language within the same immediate family
for learning.

@Crush,

I found one review on EuroComGerm. I had to use google translate for the review. I
just cut and paste, so I have no idea if the appropriate fonts will show up.

"Parallel to the work of Intercomprehension in Romance Languages ​​"EuroComRom" with
"EuroComGerm" now also works for the basic Germanic languages ​​appeared and methodically
leans very heavily on "EuroComRom". It is important that you learn to read and
understand through special training without a steep learning curve on the basis of
German and English, the Dutch, Frisian, Danish, Swedish, Norwegian (Bokmål and
Nynorsk), and Icelandic. It remains a leave yourself whether you want to learn all the
languages ​​simultaneously or focus on one language. You learn in Germanic languages ​​
mainly by sound shift rules to recognize foreign words, without having to constantly
look up in the dictionary. Especially the Sprachportäts at the end of the book provide
an important basis to find your way in a language. The book is a CD with recordings of
the beginning of "Pippi Longstocking" and an excerpt from the "Universal Declaration of
Human Rights" can be heard in all the treated languages. I would have wished that the
media would have been geutzt CD more since precisely the Scandinavian languages ​​are
phonetically difficult to handle. The phonetic descriptions (eg the Danish), which
could be difficult even for some experienced linguists are for the layman,
unfortunately, probably completely incomprehensible, because there are words reproduced
in a very accurate phonetic spelling (ie, in close transcription), which, if you are
not familiar with IPA diacritics may seem downright cryptic.
Overall, I think the 350 pages to get a little tough, a little too many tables and too
little exercise texts. Unfortunately, even the extra practice material, which is
promised to the reader in the introduction, not yet published. The accompanying website
[...] has only one non-functioning home. In this regard, the project branch EuroComRom
model.'s
the whole, but I have already got through reading a comprehensive insight into me, not
well-known Germanic languages.
The book is from Shaker Verlag nichtausdruckbare as well for 3.00 euros for download
offered ([...] There you can also view the contents of the book for free."

There is another book on intercomprehension between Slavic languages, but it is not
EuroComSlav. I am not sure, but I think the book is referenced on the website.

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5676 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 56 of 58
13 October 2013 at 7:04am | IP Logged 
Thanks, i've finished reading through the 7 sieves. Now i'm trying to work my way through the Romanian profile words before probably reading through the 7 sieves again.

If you have more info on that other book on Slavic intercomprehension, please share! There used to be a eurocomslav.de website, but it seems it's gone now. The English site just says "The English version will be available by 2008." Is there a German version available to buy/download somewhere?

I really like this intercomprehension idea and it's fun trying to read things in languages i've never studied before. It's wild being able to gleam at least the main points of a Romanian news article, read a Wikipedia article in Occitan (or articles from La Setmana), or read a Portuguese magazine when i've never studied any of these languages outside the EuroComRom book.

This discussion contains 58 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version