Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4707 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 1 of 11
12 September 2013 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 
I've had LoveFilm for about 9 months, and have found it a bit useful for watching French films. There are far too few, but I have discovered some good films such as Tell No One, and seen fair few clunkers such as The Assault. They don't seem to have any French TV series, and the selection of French films is just too small.

Now I've signed up for the free month trial of NetFlix, partly because I heard that they might have some French TV series. Unfortunately, they also have a fairly small collection of French films, and I can't find any French TV series. It is also annoying that most features of films and TV are clickable, but you can't search on the language.

I thought it might be helpful to start a thread where people could discuss which streaming service they like, and mention good films on offer in whatever language they are studying. The only problem is that it will vary from country to country, so please mention what country you live in.

Here are some French films on LoveFilm in the UK that I think are worth watching:
  • Tell No One
  • The Prey (not the other French film just called "Prey")
  • Potiche
  • Le Havre
  • T4XI (so bad it's good)
  • Bob le Flambeur
  • Breathless

I also watched two classic "greats", Le mepris and Belle de jour, but I found them both irritating.
2 persons have voted this message useful

wanderingbird
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3933 days ago

16 posts - 21 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin, French, Japanese, Portuguese, German

Message 2 of 11
13 September 2013 at 6:21pm | IP Logged 
On Netflix, Monsieur Lazhar is quite good. The Intouchables is absolutely wonderful as well. As for TV series, I haven't watched it yet but one was recommended elsewhere on this forum, called Spiral. There are also quite a few movies I haven't seen that are on Netflix in French. The main problem (which is incredibly annoying) is you can search for movies based on what country they were made in, but it doesn't necessarily mean Netflix has the original version. Many times, they only have the dubbed version. So you have to look at each individual film to figure out if it's in French or not.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4707 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 

Message 3 of 11
13 September 2013 at 6:48pm | IP Logged 
wanderingbird wrote:
On Netflix, Monsieur Lazhar is quite good. The Intouchables is absolutely wonderful as well. As for TV series, I haven't watched it yet but one was recommended elsewhere on this forum, called Spiral.

Thank you for the recommendations, I've added Spiral to my watchlist. Monsieur Lazhar and The Intouchables are not available to me, so I assume you're not in the UK.

Please state what country you are in when you make recommendations.

(And I know people's profiles say where they are... but people here change locations a lot!)

Edited by Jeffers on 13 September 2013 at 6:49pm

1 person has voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4687 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 4 of 11
13 September 2013 at 9:45pm | IP Logged 
US

- I haven't tracked which movies I watched on which channels, so this is an incomplete
list.

Netflix Streaming - pretty weak, though it seems that they are slowly adding
more French and Spanish language movies. As noted above, the search function for
streaming is horrible.

Y Tu Mama Tambien - Spanish. Mexican road trip
Seraphine - French
Carlos - multi-language miniseries
Agora - Spanish
Polisse - French
His Secret Life - Italian
Les demoiselles de Rochefort - French musical

Hulu Plus - Has an excellent collection of classic Italian, Japanese, French,
and Scandinavian movies. I think they have the exclusive contract with the Criterion
Collection. However ... I think I've had my fill of classics, and am letting this
subscription expire next month.

They also have a lot of Mexican telenovelas and variety shows, but mostly without
subtitles.

Orphee
Le Bonheur
Z
Le Beau Serge
Les Cousins
Elevator to the Gallows
Braquo - French cop series (I haven't watched it)

***Drama Fever*** - Excellent collection of Asian, South American, and Spanish
tv series. They do their own subtitles. I'm hoping they add French soon. Some of the
top shows are also on Hulu Plus.

All good:

Isabel - Isabel I of Castile finds herself in the royal court of 15th-century Spain,
ruled by greed, lust, lies, and, above all, an insatiable hunger for power.
Season
2 coming soon!

Aquila Roja - By day, Gonzalo de Montalvo is a teacher and a father. By night, he is
Aguila Roja, or 'The Red Eagle', who fights against injustice in 17th century Spain.
Five seasons.

Mujeres Asesinas - This award-winning Argentinean crime procedural, tells the
stories of different women who were taken past their limits and pushed over the edge.
Three seasons.

On my list:

Montecristo - On a trip to Morocco, Santiago Díaz Herrera and his best friend Marcos
Lombardo attend a fencing tournament, while a treacherous plot unfolds back home in
Argentina

La Fuga - Anna infiltrates a maximum security prison as an official, with the hidden
agenda of helping her husband, Daniel, escape.

Desaparecida - A young woman celebrates her 18th birthday and stays out late, only
to never return home. While reeling from the shock, her family and the Civil Guard must
unravel the mysterious details surrounding her disappearance.

***Hola Unblocker*** is a legal (so far) app that lets you watch on-line
content from other countries. It should work for Hulu and Netflix.   I've been able to
watch bbc.co.uk and francetv.fr with it. Sadly, the shows I want to watch aren't
available online on either channel.

Note: when you watch a tv show through Hola, don't link a channel to your Facebook /
Google account, hit "like," or do anything like that. You'll go back to being blocked.
It's legal, but that doesn't mean the powers that be like it.

Edited by kanewai on 13 September 2013 at 10:05pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4707 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 

Message 5 of 11
14 September 2013 at 6:41pm | IP Logged 
I've just come up with a problem with Netflix: taking wanderingbird's suggestion, I tried to watch Sprial (which is available in the UK) using my daughter's Kindle fire HD connected to my TV by hdmi. Unfortunately, the subtitles appear on the Kindle, but not on the TV! I checked another French film, and it seems this is the case only in films with optional subtitles (obviously since in the ones with built-in subs they subs are part of the video file).

Does anyone know a solution to this? Or will I be forced to watch on a 7-inch screen?

BonneVivante
Pro Member
Canada
Joined 4656 days ago

33 posts - 59 votes 
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 11
23 September 2013 at 4:18am | IP Logged 
Jeffers, is it possible for you to use a laptop, instead of the Kindle, to feed the HDMI into your tv? This is what I do, and the subtitles do appear on television for me. Sorry I don't have a better suggestion.

I am currently in the US and use Netflix to watch French media whenever possible. I am especially enjoying Spiral (Engrenages) because I enjoy crime shows and mysteries, and also I find it fascinating to learn more about the French judicial and legal system while
learning French. I also find the stories very engrossing, if perhaps a bit gruesome sometimes. Some French films I have enjoyed (on US Netflix) are: Queen to Play (a cleaning woman discovers her talent for chess); Mozart's Sister (which is about...you guessed it); Le
Professional (classic about an assassin); and Kings of Pastry (fascinating documentary about pastry chefs competing for a prestigious and hard-to-win M.O.F. designation). There are many more gems.

Also, I think Netflix has improved their categorization somewhat, because "French movies" is now a subgenre in the US version of Netflix. This link may work for US residents: French
films on Netflix

Also, if you edit the "taste profile" for your account, there is a section to select which languages you like to watch - if you select "often" for French, and if you watch a lot of French films, Netflix will begin to suggest more French films for you. Keep in mind that even
when the film is in French, the title is often in English and there is no way of knowing by looking at the cover picture that it's French. So the category is useful, and another good way to find French films is by searching for the names of the French actors you know to
see what films they have appeared in.

3 persons have voted this message useful

anime
Triglot
Sweden
Joined 6158 days ago

161 posts - 207 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Portuguese, French, Russian

Message 7 of 11
12 October 2013 at 3:19pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
I've just come up with a problem with Netflix: taking wanderingbird's suggestion, I tried to
watch Sprial (which is available in the UK) using my daughter's Kindle fire HD connected to my TV by hdmi.
Unfortunately, the subtitles appear on the Kindle, but not on the TV! I checked another French film, and it
seems this is the case only in films with optional subtitles (obviously since in the ones with built-in subs they
subs are part of the video file).

Does anyone know a solution to this? Or will I be forced to watch on a 7-inch screen?

lol what's wrong with watching on a 7 inch screen? It doesnt seem like huge suffering to me. I watch eg
Netflix on my iphone and find it quite comfortable

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4707 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 

Message 8 of 11
13 October 2013 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
anime wrote:
Jeffers wrote:
I've just come up with a problem with Netflix: taking wanderingbird's suggestion, I tried to
watch Sprial (which is available in the UK) using my daughter's Kindle fire HD connected to my TV by hdmi.
Unfortunately, the subtitles appear on the Kindle, but not on the TV! I checked another French film, and it
seems this is the case only in films with optional subtitles (obviously since in the ones with built-in subs they
subs are part of the video file).

Size matters to me.

lol what's wrong with watching on a 7 inch screen? It doesnt seem like huge suffering to me. I watch eg
Netflix on my iphone and find it quite comfortable

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version