Mexico
thepolyglotist.com
Joined 4138 days ago

280 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Japanese, Italian
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 1 of 17
13 September 2013 at 8:41pm | IP Logged 
Hi, guys. Based upon a conversation about creating language practice groups for Skype that you can find in this thread, a group of HTLAL members (yours truly included) have started out a Google+ Community for the following reasons:

- The "Hangouts" feature enables video chats between up to 10 people (something that can't be done in Skype), which makes for easier, less formal practice sessions between students of varied levels.
- The social network structure of the group enables every member to find out about other members also interested in their target language, as well as sharing information/links/videos and other relevant contents.
- Both online "Hangouts" chats and real life meet-ups can be scheduled for the community to find out and participate.
- Language-specific sections may be created in order to accomodate members studying this and that language and allow them to practice writing in the language (in Twitter-like fashion) or asking questions to other students.

At some point somebody suggested that if this community thrives it would be an independant spin-off of HTLAL, but the format and information exchange systems are different, so no, the intention behind this project is NOT to dethrone HTLAL as a language learning mecca, but rather to provide its members with a quick and easy way to network and participate in language practice sessions.

Currently, we have about enough members to create language practice sessions for:
- Italian
- French
- Spanish
- Portuguese
- Russian (widely varying levels)
- Japanese (also varying levels)
- English

The following languages have at least one person studying them, but not enough people to create hangouts yet:
- Korean
- Chinese
- Welsh
- German
- Esperanto

Bear in mind language categories can be created upon request, so if a member wants a language section created in order to be able to add content to it or practice on his/her own until a second/third/fourth learner arrives, that can also be done.

This community was created searchable but private (meaning that outsiders cannot see its posts and you need to request admission before posting--sounds familiar?), in order to protect our members's information from trolls in general. However, we've decided that if you have a friend or acquaintance in G+ that's a serious language learner but not an HTLAL member, that person is also free to join (so in essence, you can vouch for a friend).

Anyway, we'd like to invite anybody interested in periodical language practice hangouts to join. If you don't have a G+ account you'll have to sign up, but if you have one, you can go to Communities and look us up by typing "HTLAL - Language Learning Den", or go directly to the community by clicking on this link.
10 persons have voted this message useful

jhaberstro
United States
Joined 4197 days ago

112 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, Portuguese

Message 2 of 17
14 September 2013 at 12:42am | IP Logged 
How will you know if people asking to join are HTLAL members? Anyways, I encourage the project, and have asked
to join :).

Edited by jhaberstro on 14 September 2013 at 12:43am

1 person has voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4663 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 3 of 17
14 September 2013 at 2:36am | IP Logged 
If they'll be devoted to the ideas of HTLAL, I guess there's no problem :)

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4632 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 4 of 17
14 September 2013 at 3:45am | IP Logged 
Opening it up (by invitation) to non-HTLAL members is also a way of recruiting potential
new members to HTLAL. There is (of course) a link to HTLAL in the G+ HTLAL Community.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4713 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 5 of 17
14 September 2013 at 6:16pm | IP Logged 
I don't really know if this will turn out to be a good idea or a bad idea, but it has potential, so I've requested to join. I just hope people don't see it as a replacement.

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4469 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 6 of 17
14 September 2013 at 7:40pm | IP Logged 
Awesome! I just requested to join the community. I'd love to speak French with fellow HTLALers.

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4663 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 7 of 17
15 September 2013 at 10:03am | IP Logged 
I find it a good idea to write [here, there?] with which languages can we help as native and with which in a beginning/lower intermediate level.
2 persons have voted this message useful

40pancakes
Australia
Joined 5609 days ago

38 posts - 41 votes
Studies: Spanish, Japanese, French

Message 8 of 17
16 September 2013 at 9:21am | IP Logged 
Hello, I just requested to join the group - my real/google name is Angus. Thanks!

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version