Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Clugston challenges polyglots to debate

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
Poll Question: Would you like to see a debate between these polyglots?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
33 [26.83%]
90 [73.17%]
You can not vote in this poll

132 messages over 17 pages: 1 2 3 4 57 ... 6 ... 16 17 Next >>
Irish_Goon
United States
Joined 6228 days ago

117 posts - 170 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 41 of 132
28 September 2013 at 4:27pm | IP Logged 
beano wrote:
What languages does Clugston actually speak? He seems to spend his time criticising other people's
methods. Who cares if Steve Kaufmann and Benny Lewis are selling books? Nobody is forced to buy
them...it's a free market.

Clugston also seems to think that's it's a waste of time to learn languages that are not spoken in your
particular area of the world. Isn't that the whole point of the Internet, that you can access almost any
language from any part of the globe?

Which seems to directly conflict with "field linguistics."
3 persons have voted this message useful

Maralol
Nonaglot
France
Joined 4831 days ago

35 posts - 75 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, French*, English, German, Italian, Dutch, Swedish, Portuguese, Catalan
Studies: Polish, Danish, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 42 of 132
28 September 2013 at 5:33pm | IP Logged 
He seems to know a bit of Spanish and French.
1 person has voted this message useful

KidRoberts
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3948 days ago

19 posts - 27 votes
Studies: Afrikaans

Message 43 of 132
28 September 2013 at 6:09pm | IP Logged 
He looks like he knows Thai too? He was correcting Moses on something.
1 person has voted this message useful

wber
Groupie
United States
Joined 4114 days ago

45 posts - 77 votes 
Studies: Vietnamese, French

Message 44 of 132
28 September 2013 at 6:18pm | IP Logged 
First, this guy is a total douche. Second, he keeps propping up his credentials about "studying a language" to try to dismiss other people's opinions since he thinks because he has "studied a language in an academic way" it makes him smarter than everyone else. No it does not. You cannot study a language. You have to experience it. Yes, that does encompass studying but up to a point but it doesn't matter when you're out there and can't to relate to the people. Also,a lot of native speakers haven't truly "studied their language" but has that made them incompetent or unsuccessful in any way in communicating in that language, do they struggle wading through the different registers of that language, all its complications,cultural inferences, and subtexts? Probably not.      

Also, there are language, where ethnicity and nationality are strongly tied to each other ( Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Vietnamese etc..) In these languages, I'm going to be blunt but unless you look the part, no matter how fluently you speak the language, you will always be considered an outsider and thus a huge part of the language and its social intricacies will always be excluded from you. Thus a whole linguistic field is blocked of from you while a poor illiterate farmer who is considered an insider will have more access, knowledge and experience with it even if he couldn't care less about it.

5 persons have voted this message useful

Fuenf_Katzen
Diglot
United States
notjustajd.wordpress
Joined 4182 days ago

337 posts - 476 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Polish, Ukrainian, Afrikaans

Message 45 of 132
28 September 2013 at 6:36pm | IP Logged 
As entertaining as it was to waste some time watching his videos, I think I probably wouldn't want to see the fallout of a debate!
4 persons have voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4435 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 46 of 132
28 September 2013 at 7:03pm | IP Logged 
Kaufmann and Lewis might not be everyone's cup of tea but they have achieved considerable success in a
large number of languages....no mean feat whatever way you look at it. These are guys you can learn from.
9 persons have voted this message useful

KidRoberts
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3948 days ago

19 posts - 27 votes
Studies: Afrikaans

Message 47 of 132
28 September 2013 at 7:25pm | IP Logged 
beano wrote:
Kaufmann and Lewis might not be everyone's cup of tea but they have
achieved considerable success in a
large number of languages....no mean feat whatever way you look at it. These are guys you
can learn from.

I don't agree with everything they say, but they're both insanely encouraging. I watched
this guy's video about language learning (or something) yesterday, and I wanted to hide
in a dimly lit room.
6 persons have voted this message useful

Retinend
Triglot
SpainRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4121 days ago

283 posts - 557 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Arabic (Written), French

Message 48 of 132
28 September 2013 at 8:32pm | IP Logged 
Clugston seems to be implying that he's used his skills as a field linguist to learn at
least one undocumented language. So proving his superiority. But he never gives any
details about this rightfully impressive feat.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 132 messages over 17 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version