17 messages over 3 pages: 1 2 3  Next >>
ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5024 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 1 of 17
27 September 2013 at 4:10pm | IP Logged 
I've noticed that with words that ablaut in the plural, the resulting word usually has a acute accent (from Forvo). So you´ve got land - länder (acute), rot - rötter (acute), fot - fötter (acute).

But some words I've entered into Forvo seem to have a grave accent in the plural. bok - böcker (grave), rand - ränder (grave).

Is this correct? And if that's the way it is, how can one predict or even discover what the plural ending's tone is (beyond Forvo)?

Also, is there a consistent pattern to the preteritum? Dödade, pratade, talade, spelade, are these all grave accents?
1 person has voted this message useful

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5395 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 2 of 17
27 September 2013 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
There is a rule that nouns which form their plural with umlaut, have an acute accent. The exception is "son" --> "söner" (grave accent). Maybe there are more?
"Böcker" has according to the grammatical index of my ASSIMIL course the acute accent and is even stated as the example for the above mentioned rule.
I suppose your source has some flaws?!
2 persons have voted this message useful

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5024 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 3 of 17
27 September 2013 at 5:36pm | IP Logged 
Certainly possible. I'm just going from Forvo's pronunciation, which seems to be a grave accent. http://www.forvo.com/word/b%C3%B6cker/

Hampie
Diglot
Sweden
Joined 6455 days ago

625 posts - 1009 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 4 of 17
27 September 2013 at 5:50pm | IP Logged 
The man saying 'böcker' sounds odd to me, very forced and unnatural. I'd say he's pronouncing it weirdly and that
the rules in Assimil is right. Keep in mind that it's hard for us Swedes to distinguish acute and grave accent, we can
certainly hear them but we are never taught about their existence and would not be able to say what word contains
what accent :P
3 persons have voted this message useful

sans-serif
Tetraglot
Finland
Joined 4355 days ago

298 posts - 470 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, German, Swedish
Studies: Danish

Message 5 of 17
27 September 2013 at 5:51pm | IP Logged 
You're absolutely right: most words ending in -er, whether verbs, nouns or adjectives, have an acute accent. This includes, in particular, all plural forms and present tense forms ending in -er. I'm almost certain that böcker and ränder, too, have an acute accent (tone 1) on the first syllable.

The plural endings -ar and -or always a grave accent (tone 2). Likewise, the preteritum forms of group 1 verbs ending in -ade are all tone 2.

EDIT:
@Cabaire, very interesting. I wasn't aware of any exceptions. Lexin corroborates your information.

Edited by sans-serif on 27 September 2013 at 6:03pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5024 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 

Message 6 of 17
27 September 2013 at 6:02pm | IP Logged 
God I love you people.

Thanks so much.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6705 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 17
27 September 2013 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
Both bok - böcker and rand - ränder are acute as well. The sound file you linked to sounded very odd; maybe the speaker has another regional accent than the speakers in other files you've listened to;maybe he just happens to pronounce it a little bit different. Anything can happen on a sentence level. High-rising terminal and Valley Girl speak can be very confusing for speakers of tonal languages. While the grave accent seems to be hard to grasp, it's at least just as bad to use it in the wrong places as to use acute accent in the wrong places (in my opinion). Sometimes you hear foreigners using grave accents for every second word. A hypercorrected pronunciation, you might call it.

Yes, the three-syllable preterite forms are all grave.
4 persons have voted this message useful

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5024 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 

Message 8 of 17
27 September 2013 at 10:08pm | IP Logged 
sans-serif wrote:
You're absolutely right: most words ending in -er, whether verbs, nouns or adjectives, have an acute accent. This includes, in particular, all plural forms and present tense forms ending in -er.

What about, say, saker? bilder? These and other monosyllables that pluralize in -er usually sound grave to me.

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version