Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4162 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 41 of 60
05 October 2013 at 7:55am | IP Logged 
Science and philosophy used to be one and the same, a few thousand years ago, and that says something. Somewhere along the way they separated, but so what? I always loved the humanist and "renaissance man" ideal, and I insist that people can be both philosophers and scientists if they want to. It's just that knowledge today is so vast, that it is difficult to be everything. Think of Pythagoras(math, philosophy,music), Aristotle (everything really) and the rest of those ancient guys. How can one put barriers in one's thought and feelings? Yes, I said feelings :) Having said that, and strictly in my opinion, the love of knowledge is what makes the human brain create all sorts of things, and what is the love of knowledge, or wisdom, other than philosophy?

Isn't there a standard definition of the word "intellectual"?

Edited by renaissancemedi on 05 October 2013 at 7:57am

5 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4511 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 42 of 60
05 October 2013 at 9:51am | IP Logged 
simonov wrote:
tarvos wrote:

Oderint dum metuant....

I know what it means, and who said it, but what the heck do you mean by that?
None of your reasoning warrants an "oderint dum metuant".
So you don't like Shakespeare, Cervantes, Gil Vicente, François Villon, ...., it's you
who's losing out, not those 'old and dusty books'. You prefer babbling in tongues,
fine, why not, but don't keep on disparaging the ideas of others who happen to have
different expectations.

Because it is ridiculous that reading a more or less arbitrary set of old books gets
you called intellectual when intellect has nothing to do with whether you read
Shakespeare (whom I have read and liked), or Cervantes (whom I haven't). I think it is
much more disparaging from your side that you disqualify the intellect of people who do
not, in and of themselves, have a reason to want to read "intellectual" books when that
doesn't really make one intellectual, just a lover of classic literature. Which is
fine, but we're not stupid because we didn't do this.

You may hate that or love that about me, but I don't really care. I will move forward
and if I haven't read Proust then that doesn't take my intellectual capacity down a
notch. Thank you.

Edited by tarvos on 05 October 2013 at 9:52am

7 persons have voted this message useful

lichtrausch
Triglot
United States
Joined 5764 days ago

525 posts - 1072 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Mandarin

Message 43 of 60
05 October 2013 at 5:10pm | IP Logged 
Juаn wrote:
"La ciencia no resuelve los problemas que el hombre le plantea, sino los que se plantea a sí misma."

That's a nice-sounding aphorism which upon closer inspection is a half-truth. What's the point you're trying to make?

Josquin wrote:

This is a common misconception. Science can tell us nothing about our place within the universe, but only about the universe itself. Only the human mind can tell us anything about our place within this world.

In other words, we always have to interpret what science tells us. Moreover, science doesn't tell us anything about the real questions what it means to be human.

The human mind had thousands of years to tell us what it means to human, and what did it come up with? It came up with some useful insights via philosophy, but also countless superstitions and falsities, especially on the biggest and most important questions. Is there an afterlife? What are we made of? Are there any universal laws of the universe? How did the universe begin? Without the help of science, humans could do nothing but make up stuff to answer these questions. I consider these questions to be incredibly important "real questions" on what it means to be human.

Quote:

Yes, I have studied philosophy and I'm proud of it.

Good for you.
3 persons have voted this message useful

simonov
Portugal
Joined 5393 days ago

222 posts - 438 votes 
Speaks: English

Message 44 of 60
05 October 2013 at 6:16pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
simonov wrote:
tarvos wrote:

Oderint dum metuant....

I know what it means, and who said it, but what the heck do you mean by that?
None of your reasoning warrants an "oderint dum metuant".

Because it is ridiculous that reading a more or less arbitrary set of old books gets you called intellectual when intellect has nothing to do with whether you read Shakespeare (whom I have read and liked), or Cervantes (whom I haven't). I think it is much more disparaging from your side that you disqualify the intellect of people who do not, in and of themselves, have a reason to want to read "intellectual" books when that doesn't really make one intellectual, just a lover of classic literature. Which is fine, but we're not stupid because we didn't do this.

Before attacking people, read what they've written. Where have I said anything about intellectual? Or disqualified your intellect? Nowhere. I haven't read Proust either, not my cup of tea, but I have read a whole lot of those "old and dusty books". Old, yes, but not dusty, and I've found most of them a really good read. If I don't like a book I chuck it, classic or contemporary makes no difference. I just happen to like reading what to me are interesting, well written books. No need for you to disparagingly call people "lovers of classic literature" just because they happen to like books you don't.
And I like speaking foreign languages. Therefore your "babbling" irritated me, because in my book only babies babble. You want to be taken seriously, then refrain from belittling yourself that way. And don't cite Latin that has nothing to do with the content of your posting.

8 persons have voted this message useful

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5149 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 45 of 60
05 October 2013 at 8:02pm | IP Logged 
When one speaks of an intellectual in this context it is generally meant someone who is drawn to the great works of thought and literature, not one who makes use of his or her intellectual faculties for just any given purpose. It is in this sense in which the word is used in Spanish and French for instance, where no confusion arises when someone is declared one; it is generally assumed that this person is engaged with good books and ideas, and it would hardly occur to name one so who avers no interest and recognizes no value in them. It references a disposition rather than a capacity.

As a limiting case, one can imagine a very intellectual (used adjectivally) troglodyte. He would be able to perform any task with exceeding intelligence and aptness, yet perceive no distinction between a literary masterpiece and the weekly gossip.
2 persons have voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4426 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 46 of 60
05 October 2013 at 10:27pm | IP Logged 
Why is intellectualism (?) associated with reading old books? Can a contemporary writer not be more
insightful?
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4511 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 47 of 60
05 October 2013 at 11:50pm | IP Logged 
simonov wrote:
tarvos wrote:

simonov wrote:
tarvos wrote:

Oderint dum metuant....

I know what it means, and who said it, but
what the heck do you mean by that?
None of your reasoning warrants an "oderint
dum metuant".

Because it is ridiculous that reading a more
or less arbitrary set of old books gets you
called intellectual when intellect has nothing
to do with whether you read Shakespeare (whom
I have read and liked), or Cervantes (whom I
haven't). I think it is much more disparaging
from your side that you disqualify the
intellect of people who do not, in and of
themselves, have a reason to want to read
"intellectual" books when that doesn't really
make one intellectual, just a lover of classic
literature. Which is fine, but we're not
stupid because we didn't do this.

Before attacking people, read what they've
written. Where have I said anything about
intellectual? Or disqualified your intellect?
Nowhere. I haven't read Proust either, not my
cup of tea, but I have read a whole lot of
those "old and dusty books". Old, yes, but not
dusty, and I've found most of them a really
good read. If I don't like a book I chuck it,
classic or contemporary makes no difference. I
just happen to like reading what to me are
interesting, well written books. No need for
you to disparagingly call people "lovers of
classic literature" just because they happen
to like books you don't.
And I like speaking foreign languages.
Therefore your "babbling" irritated me,
because in my book only babies babble. You
want to be taken seriously, then refrain from
belittling yourself that way. And don't cite
Latin that has nothing to do with the content
of your posting.

Newsflash to simonov. Don't take yourself so
seriously. The rest of us don't either.

It is a good thing I can think what my
reasoning warrants for myself. I don't need a
pretend upstart to tell me otherwise.
2 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4632 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 48 of 60
06 October 2013 at 2:54am | IP Logged 
HTLAL seems to have become a less kind and gentle place recently.

Is the spirit of Clugston getting about, somehow? That thread should have been closed and
deleted.

9 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 60 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version