Joined 5345 days ago

235 posts - 453 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Dutch, Norwegian, Japanese

Message 33 of 76
08 October 2013 at 6:24pm | IP Logged 
Gemuse wrote:
Since this is an intensive course, the effect of just one class can be
judged. At the end of each class, the men are all struggling with the new knowledge.
These women seem to assimilate it, and apply it at the end of class itself. Since we are
talking about new knowledge just given in that class, both genders have worked the same
amount.

I understand what you're trying to say as far as the class being able to be judged but I
disagree. This is one course and one group of people. You can't make a very good basis of
anything based off of one instance (in this class one course). Are people coming into the
class with similar backgrounds in German? Probably. But again, this one course out of the
tens or hundreds that would make a useful study on the topic.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Fuenf_Katzen
Diglot
United States
notjustajd.wordpress
Joined 4173 days ago

337 posts - 476 votes 
Studies: Polish, Ukrainian, Afrikaans

Message 34 of 76
08 October 2013 at 7:50pm | IP Logged 
I wonder what the standard is that's being used to judge progress. Tests? Looking at my own language class this summer, there were 9 of us, fairly evenly split, and generally either complete beginners or having minimal prior knowledge. Out of that group, those of us who had the best "numbers" had all learned languages to a fairly decent level--lets just say it was "basic fluency" using HTLAL's standards. However, in other areas, we definitely were nowhere near the top. I'm not a very social person for example, and it's very hard for me to make small talk, so having to do that automatically was very difficult. We also had someone who was raised by two native speakers of the language, and it was reflected in his pronunciation. Then there were others who seemed to be really good at learning and reviewing vocabulary that was far beyond the level we were expected to reach.

Interestingly, I've noticed that some languages people study tend to fall disproportionately among one gender or another. I know many more men who studied German than women, and I know more women who studied Spanish than men. That's not a scientific observation by any means, but I still thought it was interesting!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3886 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 35 of 76
08 October 2013 at 9:01pm | IP Logged 
Fuenf_Katzen wrote:
I wonder what the standard is that's being used to judge
progress. Tests?

I used the following criterie:
Who do we go to when we need help with something?
Who makes, by far, the fewest mistakes at the end of class, on the material just
taught?
Who can speak with the most complex sentences?
Who can speak with the most ease?

Note that we have a small class, and that we are spending 4 hrs each day together.

Edited by Gemuse on 08 October 2013 at 9:02pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6401 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 36 of 76
08 October 2013 at 11:45pm | IP Logged 
How many in the group overall are non-natives? It's another very important factor because most non-English native speakers learning German speak their native language AND English when they start.

When it comes to learning new stuff, they are more likely to know what the grammar terms mean and in general understand better how languages work. But that's a very superficial indicator because the short-term memory and concentration are involved. It matters far more how much progress all of you make in a week or in a month.

Edited by Serpent on 08 October 2013 at 11:48pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3886 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 37 of 76
09 October 2013 at 12:38am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
How many in the group overall are non-natives?

What does non-native mean? Non-native to what?
1 person has voted this message useful

Lakeseayesno
Tetraglot
Mexico
thepolyglotist.com
Joined 4138 days ago

280 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Japanese, Italian
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 38 of 76
09 October 2013 at 5:06am | IP Logged 
Gemuse wrote:
Come to think of it, the class is being taught by a woman - that might mean the teaching method is geared towards women.

I don't think there's such a thing as a teaching method geared towards women. A teaching method geared towards a certain learning skill that your female classmates excel at? Maybe. Knowledge imparted in a certain manner by a female teacher doesn't get assimilated by females quicker just because we both happen to have the same set of chromosomes, you know?

Case in point: I taught Japanese for several years, and in my top ten of best students, eight are male. All of them were very hardworking students, and my gender or manner of teaching had little to do with the effort and hours they put in.

However, I did find a gender based trend--in general, men were usually better at grasping the theory (as I found they overwhelmingly did better at tests), but women had a tendency to be more participative and therefore were usually better at applying what they'd learned practically. However, even these trends varied widely between classes.

Whatever the case may be, there'll always be people of both genders who excel at learning in a certain manner. In your next class, the top three may be men who respond better to the teacher's method. Who knows?
3 persons have voted this message useful

akkadboy
Triglot
France
Joined 5212 days ago

264 posts - 497 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Yiddish
Studies: Latin, Ancient Egyptian, Welsh

Message 39 of 76
09 October 2013 at 8:35am | IP Logged 
Just read that yesterday :

Blair, Navaho Basic Course, p.x wrote:
Your succeess in learning Navajo will not depend on the quality of the training program. It will depend on you, on your attitude, your motivation, and your application. Maximum success will be achieved by one who sets his goals high and who is willing to apply himself to attain them. Attitude counts more than aptitude.

7 persons have voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4426 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 40 of 76
09 October 2013 at 8:35am | IP Logged 
A single language class of around 10 people is a ridiculously small sample size from which you can't prove
anything. We already have places in the world where everyone is expected to master a second language.
Surely someone would have noticed by now if one sex was significantly outperforming the other.

You might as well have asked if brown-skinned people learn faster than black. Now that would be a can
of worms.

7 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 76 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version