76 messages over 10 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 10 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6401 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 65 of 76
11 October 2013 at 1:07am | IP Logged 
And let's not forget what is always said when we discuss if a talent for languages even exists. There can't be a general talent for langs. Many successful learners have some sort of talent, but it can be many things! Some of the obvious ones are the pronunciation, the intonation, a great visual memory, the talents related to logic/finding patterns. etc. etc. etc.

Not to mention that some language+talent combinations give you a bigger advantage, like if you are learning e.g. Japanese and you have a "photographic" memory.

Edited by Serpent on 11 October 2013 at 1:10am

4 persons have voted this message useful

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5570 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 66 of 76
11 October 2013 at 1:27am | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
(btw it is true that women in later 30ies are less fertile, not a myth. but it is not that bad until the 40 or so. worse are the genetic abnormalities. but at least we know quite a lot about those related to old mothers and they are often those that can be quite easily detected with the prenatal screening. what is totally underestimated is the trouble of old fathers which leads to significantly larger risk of small mutations de novo. some theories even claim that the rising % of some metabolic illnesses and similar things is due to rising % of old fathers (45-50 and more). sorry, couldn't help myself, bao :-) )

BBC report + publication
Actually, in Germany there are less babies with trisomy 21 born to mothers over 40 than to ones in their early 20s, because older women more routinely ask for prenatal screening and opt for abortion when a chromosomal anomaly is detected.
And, here women get to hear if they want a family, they should have a baby when they're around 30, because later their chances will be very bad. And in that version, it's not science anymore, it's a myth.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3886 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 67 of 76
11 October 2013 at 2:58am | IP Logged 
Quote:
The chance of any chromosomal abnormality at the age of 20 is one in 500, he
says.

That increases to one in 400 at the age of 30, and one in 60-70 at age 40.

"Turning that on its head, it does mean that 59 out of 60 women aged 40 will have no
chromosomal problems in their baby at all."

So while it's harder for older women to get pregnant, and the chance of a
chromosomally abnormal child increases, these problems do not increase as sharply as we
fear
- except perhaps for those trying IVF or artificial insemination.

A one on 60 chromosal abnormality chance is a huge risk IMHO.

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3886 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 68 of 76
11 October 2013 at 3:01am | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:

Girls often don't do science not because of not being just as gifted. They are often not
that motivated.

I was arguing the same point, but I got bashed for it :-\
3 persons have voted this message useful

cathrynm
United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5929 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 69 of 76
11 October 2013 at 3:29am | IP Logged 
I was an engineering major in college. Not quite science, but the lifestyle in college is similar. It's like being in the army, really. Just no free time. And, you have to consistently want it, at least from high school on. If you're entering college and you don't know, for example, how to solve indefinite integrals, well, it's going to be pretty rough, maybe an entire extra year to catch up? I chatted with some woman online, she was in college, wanting to take Electrical Engineering, but she was studying Algebra in Jr. College. I try to be encouraging, really, I'm thinking, this is a massively rough road from that point.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6401 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 70 of 76
11 October 2013 at 4:16am | IP Logged 
Gemuse wrote:
Cavesa wrote:

Girls often don't do science not because of not being just as gifted. They are often not
that motivated.

I was arguing the same point, but I got bashed for it :-\
You expressed it in a way that confirms the stereotypes instead of defying them. Maybe for you there's no difference between what you and other posters say, but for them there is, especially for women.
4 persons have voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6183 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 71 of 76
11 October 2013 at 4:28am | IP Logged 
We're way off topic now, and tempers are starting to flare. So let's rein it in a bit, eh?
5 persons have voted this message useful

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4576 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 72 of 76
11 October 2013 at 6:25am | IP Logged 
beano wrote:
...Is it from the game dialogue (which surely must be limited?)...
That would depend on the genre. RPGs (role-playing games) tend do be very dialogue heavy and have dialogue choices that actually affect the gameplay, while things like visual novels and dating sims consist of pretty much nothing but dialogue, although those are a bit of a niche market. Here's an interesting thread that goes into more detail about which games are better for language learning.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 76 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version