Triglot
United States
Joined 4089 days ago

23 posts - 38 votes
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Estonian

Message 9 of 33
08 October 2013 at 2:24pm | IP Logged 
Well I'm in Germany at the moment and usually I just go about my day without people commenting on my
German because they just assume that I speak it and I don't struggle with day to day stuff. I actually kinda
like that. And I find in Germany no one will switch to English outside of an airport or tourist destination unless
you ask. (Obviously I never do).

The best reactions are when I am with friends here and they introduce me to new people as their Ami friend.
As we start chatting they consistently seem blown away by my German even though I feel I'm just at basic
fluency. That being said, I find that projecting overall confidence is very important and effective for keeping
the conversation in TL.

For Spanish, most of my time has been spent in Argentina where not too many people speak English well. I
assume it's obvious I'm either a "Norte Americano o Europeo", but strangers generally don't comment on my
spanish. Although the most positive reactions I get are from taxi drivers. I usually chat them up and they are
always curious about where I'm from and why I'm there. The reactions of new friends I meet usually are
positive, but not over the top. The best reactions I get in Argentina are when I use their slang and speak with
their accent, which actually I can't help anyway since I've spent so much time there. Haha

1 person has voted this message useful

bela_lugosi
Hexaglot
Finland
Joined 6243 days ago

272 posts - 376 votes 
Speaks: English, Finnish*, Italian, Spanish, German, Swedish
Studies: Russian, Estonian, Smi, Latin

Message 10 of 33
08 October 2013 at 5:06pm | IP Logged 
Undoubtedly the most hilarious reaction I got was in Nepal when my local friend taught me a couple of handy phrases in Nepali. A beggar approached me with his hand streched out in hope of a coin or two miraculously falling onto it. His jaw dropped and he just stared at me with his mouth open when I told him in Nepali: "Ma sa nga paiza tsaina" (I haven't got any money.) :D

I've got nearly blond hair, so people usually don't expect me to speak Romance languages. Their reactions vary from disbelief to excitement when they realise that I'm fluent in Italian and Spanish. Italian speakers tend to be the most friendly and encouraging.

Fuenf_Katzen
Diglot
United States
notjustajd.wordpress
Joined 4158 days ago

337 posts - 476 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Polish, Ukrainian, Afrikaans

Message 11 of 33
08 October 2013 at 6:36pm | IP Logged 
It's a bit fun to recall some of these experiences!

French- Spent a few weeks in Paris with my high school class. They had minimal patience for my attempt at French--due to maybe my lack of the language, the annoyance of being around teenagers or maybe both? I don't know! I did find that those out in the countryside were a little more patient.

German- So I have to admit, the "switch to English" hasn't happened in the country because unfortunately I've never been there. The infamous switch in the US normally would happen because I would insist on doing it. That's stopped and now when I speak German with German speakers, there's really minimal comment on my level. I think my teacher is the only one who has commented on it. That's just how I like it!

Polish- This one is a little funny. I ordered in Polish at a local Polish deli and again, there really wasn't much of a reaction. Recently though, I started attending a Ukrainian Orthodox church, where about half of the people there are from Ukraine. Somebody assumed I was Ukrainian (the dark hair maybe? I have no idea, because I really have no Ukrainian in me at all!) So he started speaking to me in Ukrainian and without thinking about it I answered in Polish. After an initial shock and my explaining why I answered in Polish, the conversation actually was able to continue. At least at this place, the Ukrainian population seemed very willing to listen to my bad Polish if it meant they would be able to continue in Ukrainian. I really didn't think I should have been able to communicate as well as I did (and this certainly has made me interested in actually learning proper Ukrainian!)

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4042 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 12 of 33
08 October 2013 at 9:07pm | IP Logged 
bela_lugosi wrote:

I've got nearly blond hair, so people usually don't expect me to speak Romance languages. Their reactions vary from disbelief to excitement when they realise that I'm fluent in Italian and Spanish. Italian speakers tend to be the most friendly and encouraging.

As someone who has been compared to "Silas from Da Vinci Code" I think that might be a Spanish motivation booster, but not currently.
3 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4496 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 13 of 33
08 October 2013 at 9:31pm | IP Logged 
A hostel owner in Novosibirsk:

Это фантастика.

With eyes as big as saucepans, upon hearing my Russian (and then my Hebrew afterwards.)
2 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6698 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 14 of 33
08 October 2013 at 10:56pm | IP Logged 
A visitor at the library:
-Wow, he speaks better Chinese than you! (said the Chinese wife to her Swedish husband)
5 persons have voted this message useful

PeteP
United States
Joined 4826 days ago

27 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Romanian

Message 15 of 33
08 October 2013 at 10:57pm | IP Logged 
Cape Breton: Exchanged greetings with a shopkeeper in Gaelic. Immediately the family
was called in from the back room to see the outsider speaking their language. Lots of
invitations to activities around town.

Moldova: Told shopkeeper (in Romanian)I wish to purchase some envelopes. Shopkeeper
calls to backroom (in Romanian)"Viorica, there are Germans here". I'm American but when
I spoke Romanian they must have assumed I couldn't be. I felt it was a complement to be
mistaken for a European. :-)
5 persons have voted this message useful

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3888 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 16 of 33
09 October 2013 at 9:40am | IP Logged 
I haven't spoken Breton to any locals yet, since I only started studying a month ago and I haven't run into any of my Breton-speaking acquaintances since, but even just saying that "one day, some day, I'd like to learn Breton" has gotten a fair bit of positive response and words of encouragement: Someone knows someone who knows an Englishwoman who reportedly speaks Breton almost like a native, so of course I could learn Breton too, and there are classes these days... We'll see how they feel when I butcher the language and mess up my lenition, or when I first run into one of these people who think Breton shouldn't be learned at all except a very dated Breton learned from your parents.

I've also only gotten positive response from French people, really, but they don't fall over themselves gushing about how wonderful it is that you speak French (actually, some of them do when they originally thought that they would have to try to speak English with you).

I wouldn't say that I speak Arabic, but I knew a little and have forgotten most of it, but when I was working in Jordan I always got an incredibly positive response to what little Arabic I spoke. I even got a free ring and a free taxi ride, just for speaking a little Arabic. But, they were gushing with compliments all around, for the way I tied my veil, my choice of earrings, or my strength (doing physical labour on a daily basis with locals leads to funny very local stereotypes about foreigners).

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 33 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version