10 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
daristani
United States
Joined 6941 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 
Studies: Uzbek

Message 1 of 10
09 October 2013 at 3:28pm | IP Logged 
People looking to deepen their knowledge of French pronunciation might take a look at the book D'Accord - La Prononciation du Francais Internationale: Acquisition et Perfectionnement , by Silvie Carduner and M. Peter Hagiwara. First published in 1982, it's intended to teach the finer points of pronunciation to people who already have a fair knowledge of French, but who are trying to get as good a pronunciation as possible, and is probably mostly utilized by college students specializing in French and/or intending to teach French. Unlike the FSI Basic Pronunciation course, which is an introduction to the sound system for people just starting out in the language, this book really goes into the finer points. It's not a book of phonological theory, though; the emphasis is on enabling the reader to get a pronunciation that's as close to native as possible.

I bought a copy at a charity book sale for a couple of dollars several months ago, but hadn't been able to find audio for it until recently. But it turns out that the publisher, Wiley, has put the audio to the book online for free download at: http://bcs.wiley.com/he-bcs/Books?action=index&itemId=047109 7292&bcsId=3078

The book itself is expensive if bought new, but it's been in use in colleges and universities for quite a number of years, and so used copies are available for reasonable prices. With the audio drills available for free, it's a useful tool for people seeking to perfect their French pronunciation skills.

Edited by daristani on 09 October 2013 at 3:39pm

10 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4504 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 2 of 10
09 October 2013 at 7:54pm | IP Logged 
Oi, very useful for me! Does it also distinguish between regional variants?
1 person has voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4462 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 3 of 10
09 October 2013 at 8:17pm | IP Logged 
Listening to the first lesson now and seems like a really nice find. Thanks!

daristani
United States
Joined 6941 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 

Message 4 of 10
09 October 2013 at 8:28pm | IP Logged 
[Tarvos:] I've just thumbed quickly through my copy; it doesn't have any chapters devoted to regional variants, and there's no mention of such in the index. I did spot a paragraph about differences in the "R" in the south of France and in French Canada, as well as in the northeast of France, and I suspect there may well be some more such notes elsewhere in the book, but the main focus is to teach a standard "international" French, described as "a variety of French that is understood and accepted in all the countries of the world where French is spoken. It is devoid of regional, social, or national marks, or 'accents'. It is close in many ways to educated Parisian French."

The descriptions, and some of the taped exercises, focus on contrasting the French sounds with corresponding sounds in (American) English.

Another source I've seen for this purpose is Barron's Pronounce it Perfectly in French, which also comes with audio, but doesn't go into as much detail as this book.

[Tastyonions:] I'm glad you like it; the chapters provide some pretty detailed descriptions and explanations of how to form the various sounds, and how they "fit together", but I've also wondered if maybe, for someone who already has a fair basis in French, the audio alone might also be useful for practice.    

Edited by daristani on 09 October 2013 at 8:32pm

kam1892
United States
Joined 4724 days ago

10 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Greek

Message 5 of 10
18 November 2013 at 5:25am | IP Logged 
daristani, on the page you linked for the audio, the sound files don't appear to be "download-able." Is there
something I'm missing? A link will open in a new window, but no option to download. I tried several browsers, and
some indicated the option to download (via right-clicking), but ultimately it didn't work.

FelixKatze
United Kingdom
Joined 3961 days ago

20 posts - 23 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 6 of 10
18 November 2013 at 11:07am | IP Logged 
kam1892-- perhaps your browsers are blocking a new window from opening?

Left-clicking on the links, should open a new window, which asks to save the file. It's working for me, in Firefox.

daristani
United States
Joined 6941 days ago

752 posts - 1661 votes 

Message 7 of 10
18 November 2013 at 1:18pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, FelixKatze, for responding. I confess that it took me a few minutes to figure out how to download the files when I first found them, but this is indeed what I did, and it worked fine.

kam1892: I'm hoping that the above advice from FelixKatze enables you to download the audio files, but if for whatever reason you continue to have trouble, send me a PM with your e-mail address and I can send them to you.

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5004 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 8 of 10
18 November 2013 at 3:02pm | IP Logged 
Awesome, I'm always on the lookout for French pronunciation resources! I'll try to check it out soon and I'll report back.

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version