United States
Joined 4448 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 9 of 18
11 October 2013 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
Ebooks are great but somehow even more restricted. With a paper book, noone can tell you "we just don't ship to another region".

Actually, there are plenty of places I've found online that say that, I'm afraid (especially in Northern Europe). The laws might not prevent them from being allowed to sell you the paper book, but they nevertheless can and do decide it's not worth it to them to serve customers in a broader geographic region.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4769 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 10 of 18
12 October 2013 at 12:31pm | IP Logged 
Well, at least it shouldn't be a trouble inside the EU. The EU laws don't prevent them from discriminating some countries inside EU (basically, the shops just changed their tags in the delivery fee tables from "worthless non eu countries" to "worthless, second rate eu countries" without any change of prices) but they are no longer allowed to not ship to other EU countries unless they choose not to ship to any foreign country at all.

This is actually good for people outside the EU as well. There are many intermediary services that live of smoothing out the way between the seller and the customer. You can for example have something shipped on an American adress and have the company there send it to your home adress here for a better price than the original vendor asks. And there are surely companies that go the opposite way, even though they are likely to be less widely known.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4588 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 11 of 18
31 October 2013 at 9:12pm | IP Logged 
Deastore: I have today received the book I ordered from Deastore.

I checked back, and I ordered it on 4th October, so it has taken 3 weeks and 6 days.
I got a shipping notice about 2 weeks after ordering, and hoped it might arrive about a
week after that, or sooner hopefully. It's taken a bit longer. I wasn't waiting
urgently for the book; only a bit worried in case it might have gone astray.

Anyway, on a positive note, it was very well packed and in very good condition. A brand
new book in fact.
(It was Assimil "Dänisch Ohne Mühe").

Edited by montmorency on 01 November 2013 at 12:01am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Juаn
Colombia
Joined 5105 days ago

727 posts - 1830 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 12 of 18
05 October 2014 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
Does Deastore no longer sell books in French, German and Spanish? What a shame. They used to be a great resource.

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4448 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 13 of 18
05 October 2014 at 11:00pm | IP Logged 
Juаn wrote:
Does Deastore no longer sell books in French, German and Spanish? What a shame. They used to be
a great resource.

Wow, that must have happened in the past few weeks. Yes, a shame. There's still a good selection available from
www.bookdepository.com, though.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 14 of 18
05 October 2014 at 11:52pm | IP Logged 
Great!!! today I noticed that ibs.it requires an Italian credit card for buying e-books from now on... but maybe this site can replace it for me now.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4769 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 15 of 18
06 October 2014 at 3:26pm | IP Logged 
Noooooooooooo!!!! where am I going to buy French and Spanish books from now on? Bookdepository really doesn't have everything I want, these languages aren't obviously a top priority, and amazon delivery fees are expensive :-( thanks for the info though.

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4967 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 16 of 18
06 October 2014 at 3:45pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
Noooooooooooo!!!!

I was about to respond in the same way, regarding IBS! Amazon UK has a decent Italian selection at least, but I'm not sure how it is for other countries.

This discussion contains 18 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version