Groupie
United States
Joined 3884 days ago

79 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 25 of 58
30 January 2014 at 2:40am | IP Logged 
FSI - Unit 21 Complete ( working on Unit 22)

Destinos - watched another episode or two (I''ll have to remember which ones)

Reading- La Santa Biblia - Reina Valera - Genesis 6-10
El Duodecimo Iman- page 287 (41 pages)
1 person has voted this message useful

slikew
Groupie
United States
Joined 3884 days ago

79 posts - 95 votes 

Message 26 of 58
31 January 2014 at 4:59am | IP Logged 
Reading
La Santa Biblia - Genesis 11-13
El Duodécimo Imán - page 317 (30 pages)

slikew
Groupie
United States
Joined 3884 days ago

79 posts - 95 votes 

Message 27 of 58
19 March 2014 at 5:51pm | IP Logged 
I haven't updated his log in quite some time.My first post in quite some time. i've just bought a home and
been working on it quite a bit.

FSI- I've gone through unit 25, but felt I needed to review these again. I'll be starting my second round of
study on Unit 22 this week.

Reading- I finished a 500 page book and understood the main points of the book. I believe the minor details
escaped me many times. I would say I had around 70%- 75%% comprehension.

Other Listening- Bible - Reina Valera 1960- listening from Galatians through 2 Thessalonians, listening to
each book quite a few times. I'm now going back to reading the chapters and my comprehension has
improved greatly. I enjoy doing this and comprehension is around 65% - 75%

I've come a very long way since beginning my Spanish studies in earnest once again 6 months ago. I had set
my goal to be at the B2 level by December, but I believe that a middle B1 level is much more realistic.

slikew
Groupie
United States
Joined 3884 days ago

79 posts - 95 votes 

Message 28 of 58
01 May 2014 at 12:14am | IP Logged 
I have continued on with FSI, finishing up Units 22 and 23. I have moved on to Unit 24
and feel that I am just now becoming very comfortable with the way I study the units. I
listen to the unit 1-2 times and then work to read over the entire lesson, saying the
answers out loud. I mark the parts that I don't understand and come back later
reviewing them again. I find that after I read over and get the written portion down,
the links are drawn together in my mind.

I hope to finish Unit 24 this week and hope to be done with Unit 30 (book two) by the
end of June. With my schedule, this is the most practical thing.

I was able to share during the Spanish church service this past Saturday. I shared on
joy citing (Romans 14:17; Galatians 5:22-23 and John 15) and how joy is not produced
from ourselves and it can't come from our circumstances. True joy is only produced by
the life of Christ within a born again man or woman. This is something supernatural and
not something that we can learn or try to work up within ourselves. This is why some
people have no joy, they don't have Christ. Others are truly born again, but their life
is empty through disobedience to the revealed word of God (John 15). True joy comes
from turning from our own ways and putting our faith in Christ alone. Once we have Holy
Spirit within us (after being born again) God himself is able to keep His commandments
through us. This keeps us in constant fellowship with Christ and gives the believer
joy.

A friend of mine from Panama pulled me aside after the service was over and really
encouraged me that I did well, without pausing and saying "um, em." He gave me a few
grammar points which I really appreciated.

I'm not sure if anyone reads my log, but if you do, be sure to leave a comment.

slikew
Groupie
United States
Joined 3884 days ago

79 posts - 95 votes 

Message 29 of 58
23 May 2014 at 11:36pm | IP Logged 
Finished up Unit 24 and 25. Working through Unit 26. Chugga chugga choo choo. The train
is moving on.

Edited by slikew on 23 May 2014 at 11:36pm

kmoeini
United States
Joined 4705 days ago

10 posts - 10 votes

Message 30 of 58
24 May 2014 at 5:10am | IP Logged 
I just wanted to wish you good luck with your studies. You are halfway through the FSI
Spanish Basic course. Great job!

slikew
Groupie
United States
Joined 3884 days ago

79 posts - 95 votes 

Message 31 of 58
02 June 2014 at 6:44pm | IP Logged 
Lesson 26 complete - I'll be reviewing a few of those reflexive verbs. Onward to lesson

I also went to a Spanish Bible Study covering the 1st chapter of Romans. The study itself
was great and I also understood about 80-85% which was great. My listening is definitely
improving.

Thank you kmoenini. It's been interesting to see you learning by listening/reading.

slikew
Groupie
United States
Joined 3884 days ago

79 posts - 95 votes 

Message 32 of 58
05 June 2014 at 8:01pm | IP Logged 
DELE B1

Although my logbook says that I am shooting for a B2 by December of this month, I will be
instead aiming for the B1 this upcoming November. If anyone knows how to update the
title, please let me know how.

There is a testing station 1 hour from my home, which is fantastic for me. I hope to be
done with FSI lesson 45 at least a month before the exam and then look for pen pals to
write with each week as well as some language exchange partners to speak with.

Looking forward to the challenge and so thankful I don't have to drive and get a hotel to
take the exam.

This discussion contains 58 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version