Triglot
Argentina
Joined 4137 days ago

182 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Portuguese, English
Studies: Italian, German

Message 49 of 58
27 August 2014 at 4:22am | IP Logged 
Hi, James. Have you tried doing a search by country? It will be much better searching for "podcasts de méxico" instead of "podcast de américa latina", for example. Most radio broadcasters are oriented towards their own country, so there's little chance to find them typing the phrase "América Latina".

I've found some Latin American radios online that offer free podcasts:
- http://www.caracol.com.co/podcast/ Caracol Radio, one of the most important radios from Colombia
- http://radio.uchile.cl/programas Radio Universidad de Chile
- http://www.podcasts.com.mx/ Directory of Mexican podcasts
- http://www.continental.com.ar/escucha/podcast/ Radio Continental, from Argentina
- http://www.radiopanama.com.pa/escucha/podcast/ Radio Panamá
- http://www.wradio.com.co/escucha/podcast/ La W Radio, from Ecuador

I hope this is useful. Good luck with your studies to you and Silkew! :)
4 persons have voted this message useful

AmyinBrooklyn
United States
Joined 3862 days ago

87 posts - 122 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 50 of 58
27 August 2014 at 5:26am | IP Logged 
I actually want to second Stelle and suggest that you give Notes in Spanish a try. It's actually quite good. Even if you do live in the south and are more exposed to Latin American Spanish, you still should be able to understand the Spanish accent - I actually didn't find it difficult at all. They speak quite clearly.

If you are adamant about not giving it a go, then I can suggestSpanish Obsessed - which is quite similar to Notes in Spanish except the girl is Colombian and you mentioned La Casa Rojas before - did you like that one? I think I listened to all of them and found them quite good.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Lorren
United States
brookelorren.com/blo
Joined 4062 days ago

286 posts - 324 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish, Danish, Irish
Studies: Russian

Message 51 of 58
27 August 2014 at 7:42am | IP Logged 
I also have to give a +1 for Notes in Spanish. I've gone through the Intermediate series and am starting on Advanced. While I had a hard time making myself understood the one time that I went to Spain (my Spanish was not as good and I had no clue about the differences in accent), I don't have trouble understanding Notes in Spanish, or at least, not much more than I would if they were speaking Latin American Spanish.
2 persons have voted this message useful

slikew
Groupie
United States
Joined 3884 days ago

79 posts - 95 votes 

Message 52 of 58
29 August 2014 at 2:59pm | IP Logged 
I have finished Unit 30 and have listened to Unit 31 one time through. The recording
quality of FSI Basic Spanish Book 3 is much improved. I'm hoping to be back on track with
doing a lesson a week, ending with Unit 45 (the end of Book 3) just before Christmas. I
then want to take a small break (2 weeks to visit family) and work on finishing up Book 4
next year.

Being bogged down in Units 20-30 wasn't fun, but the end result is worth the hard work.
¡Avancemos!
1 person has voted this message useful

slikew
Groupie
United States
Joined 3884 days ago

79 posts - 95 votes 

Message 53 of 58
26 September 2014 at 6:37pm | IP Logged 
I have completed FSI Unit 31 and 32. Working on unit 33. I know it may seem slow...but
I'm in no rush. I've also been listening to the Bible in Spanish (Reina Valera 1960)
as well as the radio in Spanish and some sermons in Spanish by Adrian Rogers. The
speakers are quite clear and I'm familiar with the topics, so they're normally pretty
easy to follow. They're only about 20 minutes long, so I can stay tuned in pretty
easily. I hope everyone is doing well here on the boards!

I finish up the audio portion of the units now a few days before the reading portion.
There are a lot of new words and I want to understand them all so I give them a good
read through about 3-5 times. It helps when I take a day off from reading and then
come back to the material. I find it's "sunk in" a bit and the reading gets easier.

¡Adios!

Edited by slikew on 26 September 2014 at 6:38pm

slikew
Groupie
United States
Joined 3884 days ago

79 posts - 95 votes 

Message 54 of 58
02 October 2014 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
I've completed FSI unit 33. I'm glad to be hitting a stride again with these lessons.
I want to keep going and get as much done before my winter vacation at the end of the
year. It will be hard to remain consistent during that time, as all I'll be doing is
drinking coffee and eating good food, while spending time with friends and
family. Not much time for Spanish then! If I keep on track then I might be able to
finish Unit 45 by the time I'm on the plane to leave, but I also don't want to put
pressure on myself and short change the quality of my reps through FSI.

I'm continuing to listen to Adrian Rogers on the internet (short 20 minute Bible
studies). I'm understanding more and I'm glad that the narrator speaks in a relaxed,
clear manner. I'm also going to my congregation's Spanish Bible study through Romans
which we have every other week. I translate from Spanish into English for my wife.
One year into serious language study makes me appreciate the hard work people have put
in to become truly proficient in a second language.

Not everyone (especially Americans) has the same benefit of being in close proximity
to other countries who speak different languages. I also find that our media resources
are not as rich in other languages, as we are the dominant language in
our region. I hope to teach my children Spanish from a young age, so they at least
have their minds primed for learning other languages. It's a good tool to have.

Edited by slikew on 02 October 2014 at 4:39pm

slikew
Groupie
United States
Joined 3884 days ago

79 posts - 95 votes 

Message 55 of 58
13 October 2014 at 7:14pm | IP Logged 
Finished with Unit 34. I will now start the reading portion of Unit 34 and the listening
portion of Unit 35.

slikew
Groupie
United States
Joined 3884 days ago

79 posts - 95 votes 

Message 56 of 58
21 October 2014 at 7:22pm | IP Logged 
Finished with Unit 35 listening and Unit 34 reading. Moving on.

This discussion contains 58 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version