SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6713 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 14
29 October 2013 at 6:20pm | IP Logged 
On a good day, I do something in most of my languages. That includes reading something in Swedish and/or listening to an audiobook. Apart from surfing the internet (mostly in English), I might read something in English, write forum posts like this and so on. I read in German (and less often Spanish). I've recently gone back to Russian and Mandarin and that means using textbooks/readers. The language that takes most of my time right now is Irish (bloodhound listening, shadowing, scriptorium, grammar/translation).

Here is Professor Arguelles:
A polyglot's daily workout
2 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4632 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 10 of 14
29 October 2013 at 6:47pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
I'm learning 4 languages (Mandarin, Georgian, Norwegian and Russian) and maintaining
other two (French and Papiamento).

My daily schedule can be found at the first post of this page

I have attempted to fix the link, above.
1 person has voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7009 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 11 of 14
30 October 2013 at 3:11am | IP Logged 
Currently:
A chapter of Don Quixote in Spanish - usually 15-20 minutes - bilingual text and recording.
A chapter of The Stranger in French - bilingual text and recording.
A chapter of Brothers Karamazov - a chapter in English - listen/reading.
A chapter of the Descent of Man (3-7 days a week) - Listen/read in English.
A section of Introduction to Metaphysics by Henri Bergson - listen/read in French.
Listen to about 1.5 of French and Spanish in the car. Usually the same as above. Also did a Listen/Listen En/Fr of Rene Descartes Meditations on first philosophy.
Listen to 10 minute Esperanto radio podcast in the car.
In the bathroom, 2-5 minutes of Business French about 3 times per day.

Przemek
Hexaglot
Poland
multigato.blogspot.c
Joined 6279 days ago

107 posts - 174 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, SpanishC2, Italian, Portuguese, French
Studies: Turkish, Hindi, Arabic (Written)

Message 12 of 14
31 October 2013 at 11:30am | IP Logged 
I guess when you learn/study several languages you have to do it full-time. Of course,
you might take some short breaks, or to set priorities for some periods, but to
maintain what you've already learned you need to do something in your language all the
time.

Although I register my studies I don't make detailed plans. One day I feel like
studying more Arabic, the other - French. Registering my studies and progress helps me
to focus on them.

Everyday I try to do something in some of the languages I learn, there are too many of
them, and too little time to do much in each of them.
Example - yesterday
in the morning when I went to work, I reveiw a unit from textbook for Arabic
in the afternon while in the gym, I listened to the same unit in Arabic
in the evening after returning home I read for a while a book in Spanish ("La ciudad y
los perros" de M.V. Llosa)
then I listened to Rai 24 News while ironing
then I participated in the French Practice Hangout on Google+
I wish I had done more, but I think I still did much!

Apart from that I browsed many websites in English, French, Italian and Spanish. I read
some news bits in those languages as well.

Alike others, I too have some TV staions saved as favorites, among them France 24,
AlJazeera in Arabic, BBC Arabic, CNN, Rai 24 News, Rai Uno, Rai Due, Rai Tre, 24 Horas,
TVE International, RTP Internacional, TRT Türk and others...

Saying all that, yes, to speak several languages you need to plan your daily workout,
if not in details, you have to get used to do your workout every day...

5 persons have voted this message useful

Einarr
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
einarrslanguagelog.w
Joined 4417 days ago

118 posts - 269 votes 
Speaks: English, Bulgarian*, French, Russian
Studies: Swedish

Message 13 of 14
31 October 2013 at 7:04pm | IP Logged 
I figure that my biggest problem with structuring my day when it comes down to the languages I study is that, just like @Przemek one day I might not feel like French at all, though that's the one language I need to keep up the most, yet there're the days when I don't feel like Norwegian at all and it all becomes very uneven sometimes, which, quite frankly, bugs me.

For instance, I've spent this entire month reading and listening to Russian online, and mostly watching NRK and reading Norwegian news online. That of course is due to the fact that I'm still waiting for the manuals I use to arrive. However, that doesn't excuse me being lazy with my French.

So thank you all guys for sharing your daily routines, it's greatly appreciated. :)

Scorpicus
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5139 days ago

27 posts - 46 votes
Speaks: English*, ItalianB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Russian

Message 14 of 14
31 October 2013 at 10:29pm | IP Logged 
I feel like a bit of a lightweight here with my two language study routine!

So, when I wake up I read an hour of a French novel (at the moment "Jean de Florette" by Marcel Pagnol), underlining the words I don't know, looking them up in a dictionary and writing the definition on the page.

Then, the next hour I dedicate to Russian. I'm revising Assimil le Russe: I do the active wave of two lessons, including writing out the dialogue in full. I then add any forgotten vocab or awkward/interesting sentence structures to Anki. I'll probably do 10-15 minutes of Russian Anki reps over the course of the day, whenever I find myself in a queue.

At the end of the day, if time allows, I will watch a French film. I try and watch at least one French film per week, once without subtitles and once with.

As for as my Italian, it is no doubt quietly rotting. I've promised myself that as soon as I move onto Russian native materials, I'll crack on with some much needed spring cleaning of my Italian!

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version