Diglot
Joined 6944 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 9 of 20
01 November 2013 at 4:15pm | IP Logged 
I'm trying to get my focus down to fewer languages and am wrestling with which language(s) to drop from the rotation since I'm starting to feel spread too thinly.
2 persons have voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5320 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 10 of 20
01 November 2013 at 5:15pm | IP Logged 
My biggest decision: How hard should I push for full professional speaking skills in French, and how much time should I invest?

I'll be wrapping up my Super Challenge reading very shortly, and starting my online probability class in French, which should be a nice challenge. But beyond that, I need to decide whether I should get my listening comprehension up to a solid C1, or whether I should do intensive speaking work. And even though my reading is good, I don't want to stop reading, because it gives all my other skills such a boost.

Choices, choices. :-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

I'm With Stupid
Vietnam
Joined 3961 days ago

165 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Vietnamese

Message 11 of 20
01 November 2013 at 5:57pm | IP Logged 
KSAKSA wrote:
I'm dreaming/thinking of going to study here: http://www.omancenter.org/

You know what's putting me off? A lot of the students look like university students. I feel there is a big age gap between me and them and I'd feel out of place and would make them feel like they are getting stuck in a class with an oldie :)

As a teacher, I prefer the students that are actually old enough to have a job and some life experience. They always have more interesting things to talk about.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6691 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 12 of 20
01 November 2013 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
My biggest dilemma now is what to do with Swedish - drop it, study it, change my approach (to what?), drop out from the class (a really disappointing one) and study it on my own only, go on with the class and hope for the better, improve my motivation (how?) etc.

Plus: how to combine learning languages with a rapidly increasing amount of work, how to improve my active German, what to work on to improve my French, how to prioritize all my language plans and fit them into my schedule, what to do to avoid Swedish-Dutch interferences.

It seems that there are many choices to be made... but like Tarvos, I often just go with the flow.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3833 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Irish, French

Message 13 of 20
02 November 2013 at 12:37am | IP Logged 
My biggest challenge right now is narrowing my language list to the ones I really want to learn and am willing to maintain. The problem is just there are so many hours in a day for study, and I really don't want to sit back and watch my skills decay. For example, I'm most interested in Spanish, Irish, German, Portuguese, and Japanese. So those are the five I would work hardest on attaining fluency in, and maintaining said fluency for life. Other languages, like French and Italian, are important to me, but only in the sense that I'd like to get to a decent intermediate level in them and am willing to sacrifice them if I have to. But there's so many fascinating languages out there...I gues it's really all just a question of discipline. Of which I have very little...
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6385 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 14 of 20
02 November 2013 at 3:01pm | IP Logged 
As for past decisions, my biggest and best one was to start Finnish at the age of 15 and not wait until I "finish" German. I still haven't.

Another surprisingly important decision is adding Esperanto and Belarusian to my list shortly before starting uni. Sometimes I wonder if everything would be different if I hadn't been so frustrated about not having time for my own language learning. I think it's possible, given that I would've found enough time for just Finnish.

Edited by Serpent on 02 November 2013 at 3:01pm

lichtrausch
Triglot
United States
Joined 5748 days ago

525 posts - 1072 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Japanese
Studies: Korean, Mandarin

Message 15 of 20
02 November 2013 at 5:49pm | IP Logged 
The decision that stands before me is when to return to studying Korean.

Tetsu
Triglot
Japan
Joined 3829 days ago

9 posts - 22 votes
Speaks: Thai, English*, Japanese
Studies: Mandarin, Korean

Message 16 of 20
07 November 2013 at 5:55pm | IP Logged 
The biggest decision I have made in regards to language learning is putting the cap to a maximum of 5 languages for the foreseeable future.

1) Since business level fluency is my minimal goal, I thought it would be best to focus on fewer languages, particularly ones that I have strong connections to or have easy access.

2) Focusing on fewer will also allow me to effectively cover any gaps I have in any of the languages I speak/study.

3) It will also give me time to study and attain certification in all the languages (except English and Thai).

4) Allowing myself more time for other non-language hobbies.

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version