Canada
Joined 4089 days ago

89 posts - 122 votes 
Speaks: Shanghainese, Mandarin*, English
Studies: Cantonese

Message 81 of 104
06 November 2013 at 4:05am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
I can be serious when I need to be, but most of the time I am the most informal person you can imagine. There are three things I never put on my CV, one is the amount of language learning I have had due to my boyfriends, the second one is my certificate from a 10 hour intensive course in belly dancing and the third one is a certificate which claims that I can steer a small sail boat (which I can't) and know the traffic rules out at sea (which I don't).

I'll recomend the "Sun God" to the guys working for me. At the moment they refer to me as "our Great Leader and Sun". I like your version even better :-)

You could definitely be the Sun Goddess if you want to. :-D
1 person has voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5220 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 82 of 104
06 November 2013 at 5:15am | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
Julie wrote:
Interestingly enough, I have been observing an opposite trend for some time, at
least in the professional context. The attitude of many companies seems to be as follows: "We don't really care
about whatever language skills you claim to have in your CV. We don't care about your university diplomas. We
don't even care about your CEFR certificates. If we really need you to use your language skills at work, we will test
you anyway."

I work in the US technology industry, with lots of non-native speakers. Unless you're applying to work at some
international mega-corporation, nobody cares whether you've ever taken an English proficiency exam. In fact, the
people making the hiring decisions have probably never even heard of the TOEFL, etc., and wouldn't know how to
interpret the scores if you included them.

What they do care about is the job interview. Are you able to keep up, to understand the questions, and to give
intelligent responses? Is your resume reasonably mistake-free? If so, you're good.

Khatzumoto observed a the-joke-in-yo-town-why-i-hate-the-jlpt-and-why-its-a-waste- of-your-time-and-money">similar
situation
in Japan:

Quote:
And somehow the JLPT people have got the whole freaking world convinced that you need a JLPT to get a
job and even be recognized as an adult in Japanese society. None of my Japanese friends, colleagues and
associates have ever even heard of the JLPT.

The same companies which have a standardized procedure for evaluating language skills probably have tons of
other bureaucratic overhead, too. If you don't like paperwork, find a smaller organization that hasn't
standardized every last detail of your life, and which still trusts its employees to have common sense.

Let's recognize that in many places in the world and organizations, you don't need to be tested if you can
demonstrate certain language skills in an interview. But, as we all know, there is an entire industry devoted to
language testing. The biggest component of this industry is probably the testing of English. Why does this
industry exist if there seems to be little need for language tests?

Let's take the example of where I live in Quebec, Canada, If you are a hot-shot programmer with no university
training from Russia but with basic English you could probably get hired with one of our video game companies
without a language test and on a termporary worker visa.. But wait a minute, if you want to immigrate to Quebec
as a permanent resident, you will have to sit a French test, the TEFAQ.

Let's say you want to work in one of the regulated professions such as nursing, law, medicine, etc., you have to
pass an industry-specific exam with the Office québécois de la langue française.

Maybe you want to work with the Quebec government, you'll have to pass a language test if you are not a native
speaker of French.

Ditto with any of the state-owned companies such as Hydro-Québec.

Now, you want to further your education, if you apply to any of the six university schools in Montreal and your
previous education is in neither French or English you will have to pass the TEF or IELTS.

And finally, you want a cushy job with the federal government, and that job is designated bilingual. You will have
to sit an exam that can be quite challenging.

I can't speak for Japan, but I am quite sure that if you want to practice many professions in Europe, you have to
demonstrate language skills. I would think that to be admitted most universities in Europe some specific
language requirements have to be met. And what about working in the various EU institutions?

As for the "We don't care about your university diplomas" attitude of many companies, the situation may be
different in Europe, but in North America a university degree, preferably from a better university, is still better to
have than none.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6699 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 83 of 104
06 November 2013 at 7:49am | IP Logged 
You're talking about Quebec, and about moving there as a permanent resident. Nobody is arguing against that a permanent resident should know the local language (to some extent, basic fluency?), but if you have to sit a test depends a lot on what you're going to do in the country.

I know people who have moved to other countries and worked/studied for long periods. OK, with some rare exceptions it has always been Anglophone countries, but I doubt that anyone of them have ever been "tested". Can they fill in the application form? Can they give intelligent responses during the interview? If so, that's usually enough.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6693 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 84 of 104
06 November 2013 at 10:55am | IP Logged 
Obviously I am writing mostly about the situation in Europe. However, I do think that Quebec with its language policy is not exactly that representative of the North American situation (correct me if I am wrong).

The language testing industry exists for some reasons indeed, the panic of young graduates ("my friends has a C1 certificate in X language, I have to get one too or I won't find a good job") being one of them. I focused on the importance of ceritificates in the professional career - the admission university criteria and the criteria for permanent residency are a different thing. Still, there are actually quite many universities in Europe, including very good ones, which don't require language certificates: they either organize their own tests or use e.g. the results from A-levels.

If I am not mistaken, you do not need language certificates to work for the EU institutions. You do need language skills, obviously, but the institutions organize their own tests for candidates (e.g. logical reasoning, verbal tests etc.) and these often have to be taken in one language out of EN, DE, FR (but not in your native one; obviously, the requirements and the exact testing procedure vary depending on the position).

s_allard wrote:
As for the "We don't care about your university diplomas" attitude of many companies, the situation may be different in Europe, but in North America a university degree, preferably from a better university, is still better to have than none.

I would say that here in Europe it is also better to have a university degree than not to have one, obviously (higher education is the basic requirement for many jobs in Poland, even where it shouldn't be) but the number of diplomas, grades, universities, specializations etc. are often of suprisingly little relevance.

DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5941 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 85 of 104
06 November 2013 at 12:18pm | IP Logged 
If I had to assess my language skills, I think I’d be as follows,

Spanish (B2): Passive C1 \ Active B2. Based on passing the second last module of the B2 Cervantes course at over 90%. The teacher said I would sail through the B2 cert, but I never sat it. Big mistake.

French (B1): Passive C1(B2)\Active B2\Speaking B1. I’ve been using the DELF B2\C1 based material and have no problem with listening, grammar or comprehension tests. My biggest weakness is fluency in the oral section. Since speaking is my lowest skill I’m still a B1.

Irish (B1): Passive C1(B2)\Active B1. 15 years of schooling, and a lot of exposure afterwards due to a number of friends working for TnaG, the Irish language station.

Italian (A2): Passive B2\Active A2. I can read and watch Italian television with little effort. The large number of cognates with French and Spanish mean my passive skills are way ahead of my active ones.

Russian (A2): Passive B1\Active A2. Russian has taken a large amount of time with very little return. A very challenging language. Personally I think it’s harder than Hungarian.

Hungarian (A2): Passive B1(A2)Active A2. My Hungarian maybe slightly stronger than my Russian even though I’ve studied it slightly less.

Malay (A2): Passive A2\Active A1. One of the easier non-European languages to tackle.

I’ve a very large bucket of languages in the A1\A0 category including Polish, Thai, Danish, , Czech and Greek.

Now for a bit of fun, my other skills if rated by the CEFR,

IT (C2): Degree and long career.
Guitar (A2): Can generally convey some sort of song, but listeners may struggle.
Cooking (A1): Struggles with new recipes. Needs further work.
Housework (A0): Clearly lacks motivation in this department.

10 persons have voted this message useful

Ogedi
Triglot
United States
I don't have &#Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4004 days ago

4 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 86 of 104
06 November 2013 at 4:45pm | IP Logged 
English: Native
Polish: Native (ish) (spoke with my grandparents a lot and they taught me how to read in it, its pretty polluted
though with according to other speakers Yiddish and German)
Spanish: C1 I can understand almost anything because I was around it All the time as a child, my speaking skills are
very high up there. I always could speak it a bit being around it a lot but now I feel I have got to the point where all I
can do now is speak more to get better. I have no problem conversing about everyday things and on the phone I can
be mistaken as a native. Working on higher level vocab though. Reading matches listening.
Chinese: B1-B2. I speak it decently, still make mistakes on tones however. My accent is also terrible. On skype calls I
can understand maybe 80% of things being said. Writing is laughable and reading isn't much better
French: A1 just a few phrases honestly
MSA Arabic: A1 I know some Koran sayings from my friend and can say things like how are you

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5124 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 87 of 104
06 November 2013 at 7:21pm | IP Logged 
DaraghM wrote:
If I had to assess my language skills, I think I’d be as follows,

Spanish (B2): Passive C1 \ Active B2. Based on passing the second last module of the B2 Cervantes course
at over 90%. The teacher said I would sail through the B2 cert, but I never sat it. Big mistake.

French (B1): Passive C1(B2)\Active B2\Speaking B1. I’ve been using the DELF B2\C1 based material and
have no problem with listening, grammar or comprehension tests. My biggest weakness is fluency in the oral
section. Since speaking is my lowest skill I’m still a B1.

Irish (B1): Passive C1(B2)\Active B1. 15 years of schooling, and a lot of exposure afterwards due to a
number of friends working for TnaG, the Irish language station.

Italian (A2): Passive B2\Active A2. I can read and watch Italian television with little effort. The large number of
cognates with French and Spanish mean my passive skills are way ahead of my active ones.

Russian (A2): Passive B1\Active A2. Russian has taken a large amount of time with very little return. A very
challenging language. Personally I think it’s harder than Hungarian.

Hungarian (A2): Passive B1(A2)Active A2. My Hungarian maybe slightly stronger than my Russian even
though I’ve studied it slightly less.

Malay (A2): Passive A2\Active A1. One of the easier non-European languages to tackle.

I’ve a very large bucket of languages in the A1\A0 category including Polish, Thai, Danish, , Czech and
Greek.

Now for a bit of fun, my other skills if rated by the CEFR,

IT (C2): Degree and long career.
Guitar (A2): Can generally convey some sort of song, but listeners may struggle.
Cooking (A1): Struggles with new recipes. Needs further work.
Housework (A0): Clearly lacks motivation in this department.

And my big mistake was to take a sneak peak at this forum and reading the last part of your post in the
middle of a big international meeting. Anyone who needs a mini course in how to camouflage
snorting/laughing as coughing can now come to me.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4497 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 88 of 104
06 November 2013 at 7:26pm | IP Logged 
Must have been one boring meeting.

This discussion contains 104 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version