United Kingdom
Joined 3902 days ago

28 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French

Message 65 of 70
31 December 2013 at 6:29pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
The post by Chung reminds me of the fact that both English and French possess a certain number of examples where morphological inflection of the noun for number does not match the number of the verb form. Some classic examples in English are:

Ten dollars is a lot of money
The police are coming
The news is bad

In French we have:

La plupart des gens sont d'accord
La majorité ont voté en faveur
Le monde sont fous

The last example is often criticized as bad French because of the agreement.

Something in English which interests me is subject-verb agreement with international sports teams. I treat international sports teams as collective nouns (i.e. in my head the team isn't the country, but a unit representing one) which require verbs to be conjugated in the singular form to agree. But for some reason journalists tend to stick to the plural.

From an article I read this morning for example: "Australia name uncapped batsman Alex Doolan as cover for Shane Watson..." (BBC)

I don't really follow sport in German (I don't like soccer!) so I wasn't quite sure if the same was done as in English, but it seems not: "Argentinien mit Weltfußballer Lionel Messi bekam als zweiter Favorit aus Südamerika..." (Fussball.de)

Edited by Gunshy on 31 December 2013 at 6:31pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6382 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 66 of 70
31 December 2013 at 8:08pm | IP Logged 
But collective nouns are often used with the plural, like family or police.

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4075 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 67 of 70
31 December 2013 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
Gunshy wrote:
s_allard wrote:
The post by Chung reminds me of the fact that
both English and French possess a certain number of examples where morphological
inflection of the noun for number does not match the number of the verb form. Some
classic examples in English are:

Ten dollars is a lot of money
The police are coming
The news is bad

In French we have:

La plupart des gens sont d'accord
La majorité ont voté en faveur
Le monde sont fous

The last example is often criticized as bad French because of the agreement.

Something in English which interests me is subject-verb agreement with international
sports teams. I treat international sports teams as collective nouns (i.e. in my head
the team isn't the country, but a unit representing one) which require verbs to
be conjugated in the singular form to agree. But for some reason journalists tend to
stick to the plural.

From an article I read this morning for example: "Australia name uncapped batsman Alex
Doolan as cover for Shane Watson..." (BBC)

I don't really follow sport in German (I don't like soccer!) so I wasn't quite sure if
the same was done as in English, but it seems not: "Argentinien mit Weltfußballer
Lionel Messi bekam als zweiter Favorit aus Südamerika..." (Fussball.de)

Are you a cricket fan? In cricket commentary, broadcasting, etc. it seems that the
format "[team] are" is the rule, i.e. the collective noun is the team and the plural is
used. I have generally not seen it any other way, even in personal articles. For
example, look at Ian Bell's article:

http://www.espncric
info.com/magazine/content/story/705511.html

Australia seem to have reacted better than us during the back-to-back series.
They have learned where to bowl to each of us and they have executed their plans
brilliantly. They have been better than us in that regard.

N.B.: bold added by me

Note that he mentions, "Australia are..." and then follows then therewith "They are..."
referring to Australia. So clearly, the team is "they". I am not sure if the Germanic
languages use this phenomenon though.

Also, a quick note, England lost again, lost the last four, and the last one had a
clear advantage to win, but instead just collapsed for no reason to 179 all out in the
third innings after being something like 81/1 and leading by 155 on the best days for
batting. They had advantages in each of the four tests, but this last one was a
seriously clear advantage. It reminds me of the lyrics to the famous Bryan Adams song
"Cuts Like a Knife,"

This wouldn't be the first time, that things have gone astray. Now you've thrown it
all away...

Edited by 1e4e6 on 31 December 2013 at 10:43pm

Stolan
United States
Joined 3817 days ago

274 posts - 368 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Thai, Lowland Scots
Studies: Arabic (classical), Cantonese

Message 68 of 70
31 December 2013 at 11:38pm | IP Logged 
Edit: No need.

Edited by Stolan on 01 January 2014 at 12:05am

Papashaw1
Australia
Joined 3816 days ago

30 posts - 35 votes

Message 69 of 70
01 January 2014 at 11:11am | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
I don't think German word order is that hard actually. It's pretty much always the same.
So that to me is simple.
Russian word order is harder because it is flexible and therefore unexpected.

http://books.google.co.th/books?
id=njmNQLz63_EC&pg=PA161&lpg=PA161&dq=german+vs+english+word
+order+svo&source=bl&ots=nGTVA_a
Y57&sig=Ts5Kn97r5Q5F8ijQjdjxHjonMCA&hl=en&sa=X&ei=UeHDUr3bKu
yUiQf2v4GADg&redir_esc=y#v=onepage
&q&f=false

The German word order is influenced by outside choices to some degree. I don't have a library near me which has
the whole book though. But I am intrigued by this one and someone else may have read it already here.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaiian_grammar
This language has plural articles and gets along fine without random plural endings. I am not saying now that
German is entirely decreed but the idea that one thing gets easier if something is harder such as word order is not
true.

German has irregular plurals, different conjugation in strong nouns, 3 genders, etc.
Russian has its infamous stress and conjugation classes.

Although the above languages have the difficulties of analytic languages without the lack of inflection.

They have prepositions but they take cases, they have periphrasic passives and tenses, but they conjugate. Russian
has aspect verbs and such. German has the same analytical tenses as English except for the progressive, except
they conjugate and use either sein or haben for perfect tenses.

What irregularities do the less inflected ones like English or Chinese have? Ask any random person and he is more
likely to say that German word order is more complex than either Thai, Chinese, or English. I already listed all the
irregularities that cause changes.

I am not saying this is unnatural, but there are languages that are just plain more complex than others in nearly
every area. Both inflection and uninflecting grammar. I hate to say it, but all the speakers out there of certain Asian
languages and English just have to admit they haven't created something that can compete with other European
languages. This isn't Latin or Polish or Sanskrit or even Hungarian here where inflection is their method,
I am talking about German which is just plain irregular and the analytical features are multiplied by synthetic
features and gender.

Edited by Papashaw1 on 02 January 2014 at 11:59am

Gunshy
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3902 days ago

28 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French

Message 70 of 70
04 January 2014 at 3:43pm | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:

With regards to they and their, I would still substitute the plural pronouns for international sports teams even when I treat them as singular subjects e.g. The Springboks (plural) will need to beat the All Blacks this year to build some momentum for their (plural) World Cup campaign in 2015. vs. South Africa (singular) will need to beat the All Blacks this year to build some momentum for their (plural) World Cup campaign in 2015. I guess journalists try to avoid doing this, so they treat teams as plural subjects regardless of the name.

This is commonly done if someone can't decide the person's gender ( http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/words/he-or-she-versus-the y).

I must admit I'm more of a fan of rugby than cricket, but I can't not watch the Ashes. And I support Australia. ;-) England was (I nearly said were!) dreadful last night, I couldn't believe my eyes when they were five wickets down with only 23 runs. What an innings! I fell asleep when Stokes and Ballance were batting, but all was lost by then. I do feel for Carberry, and wonder how he'd do opening in the final innings. I don't see him opening for England again. But Cook hasn't been any better.

Edited by Gunshy on 04 January 2014 at 3:45pm

This discussion contains 70 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version