Groupie
United States
Joined 4330 days ago

89 posts - 113 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 1 of 13
11 November 2013 at 3:59am | IP Logged 
Is German & Amish Dutch aka Pennsylvania Dutch mutually intelligible? Any German speakers ever spoke German
with the Amish?
1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6514 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 13
11 November 2013 at 1:10pm | IP Logged 
According to Wikipedia the Amish don't speak Dutch - they speak an old version of a German dialect described as "West Central German" (and this dialect belongs to the realm of High German, not even Low German aka Platt, which is much closer to the language spoken in the Netherlands, which we normally call Dutch.

However Mennonite Plautdietsch (mostly spoken in the Chaco part of Paraguay, but also by a few persons in North America) is allegedly an old form of "a low Prussian variant of East Low German, with Dutch influences".

I actually didn't know how Amish German sounds, but I found a video on youtube that switches between German and PA (Pennsylvania) German, and the lady in the video says it isn't a problem for her to understand PA German. And a Swiss German speaker says the same thing in the comments to the video. There are also some videos with English sentences followed by their translations into PS German (as spoken by the Amish), but I find that structure far more confusing - I understand it much better when I ignore the English voice, but even then I have to repeat the phrases in my mind before their meaning occurs to me. However after a day or so of listening I think any German with an ear for dialects should be able to understand the thing without too much ado, except maybe some strictly local vocabulary.

I have also read and heard Mennonite Plaut, and with a background in 'normal' Platt it is reasonably simple to understand Plaut. However without that background I imagine that it could be a problem, and I have a suspicion that some Germans (and Danes!) aren't really used to deal with dialects - and certainly not dialects of Low German.

Edited by Iversen on 11 November 2013 at 1:29pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

orion
United States
Joined 6832 days ago

622 posts - 678 votes 
Studies: German, Russian

Message 3 of 13
11 November 2013 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
In the area I am from there are a number of Amish and sometimes you can overhear them speaking their language. I am by no means fluent in German, but I can usually get the gist of what they are talking about. Once, over 20 years ago, I tried speaking High German with a group of Amish and it was not well received. They are not keen on outsiders (whom they call "English") invading their privacy.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4655 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 4 of 13
11 November 2013 at 2:12pm | IP Logged 
Well, I can understand some parts of those videos very well, but some of it is pure gibberish to me. It's like a very strong dialect.
3 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4499 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 5 of 13
11 November 2013 at 5:39pm | IP Logged 
I would call them basically mutually intelligible.

There are certain groups, e.g. in Indiana, who make money from having outsiders come into
the commuinity to visit to some limited extent. All I remember is that they had a dining
hall and served our large group a bunch of food for some family celebration we had years
back. I didn't participate in the conversation myself, but I believe that I observed my
mother schwetzing with one or two of the locals in German, and her German's never even
been all that strong. My guess is that it's not going to be much further from Hochdeutsch
than Texas German or other German groups that split from Europe within the last couple
hundred years, and likely will have similarly taken on some characteristics of vocabulary
and accent from the surrounding English speakers.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Astrophel
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 5543 days ago

157 posts - 345 votes 
Speaks: English*, Latin, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Cantonese, Polish, Sanskrit, Cherokee

Message 6 of 13
12 November 2013 at 1:47am | IP Logged 
Knowing German and Spanish, the best comparison is that Deitsch (PA German) is as mutually
intelligible with Hochdeutsch as Portuguese is with Spanish. That is, I can understand most of the
individual words and usually get the gist, but not always, depending for example on the speaker's accent
or just what is said.

Edit: For the record I've been exposed to it quite a bit and have time to get accustomed to the
differences, so this is what it's like after the initial perod of acclimation, for a non-native speaker.

Edited by Astrophel on 12 November 2013 at 1:50am

BrianDeAlabama
Groupie
United States
Joined 4330 days ago

89 posts - 113 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 7 of 13
17 November 2013 at 5:18am | IP Logged 
Thank you guys for the input.

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4433 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 8 of 13
17 November 2013 at 10:43am | IP Logged 
I've never studied Dutch or Amish but I've heard both languages in TV / films. I can certainly understand more
Amish than Dutch, so I'm inclined to say the Amish language is a form of German.

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version