Groupie
Germany
Joined 3806 days ago

88 posts - 116 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: Mandarin

Message 57 of 69
07 April 2014 at 1:40pm | IP Logged 
I'm finally back home and quite out of the loop, it will take some time to read up on what i've missed..
Anyway, London was amazing and i cannot wait to go back. I didn't do any Chinese, unfortunately, but i spoke a lot of English, which is always a welcome practice, since i usually only write.

I have been thinking though, if i want to do the Super Challenge after all. The reason is, that i really have problems to watch Chinese. I don't know why, but i don't have the patience to sit down and watch Chinese TV for an hour, i'd rather spend that time reading.. I think the Challenge starts next month, so i still have some time.
1 person has voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5875 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 58 of 69
07 April 2014 at 7:09pm | IP Logged 
Ah, that's right... Super Challenge is starting again, isn't it. Are you gonna sign up? I think my skills are still to weak and feeble to make good use of 100 films in Mandarin ⊙▂⊙

HSK 5/6 seems to be the perfect level to make use of such a challenge! I'll get there some day!

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5655 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 59 of 69
08 April 2014 at 3:42am | IP Logged 
I don't think i'm ready for a Chinese Super Challenge, either. Hopefully i'll be a bit more prepared for the next one.

It's funny that you don't like watching Chinese TV, i much prefer watching TV to reading as i understand a lot more and find it more interesting. I tend to prefer reading in my better languages (Spanish and Catalan), though. You could always just ignore the video portion of it, that's what i'll probably end up doing at least, though i'm not planning to do it for Mandarin.

Ninibo
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 3806 days ago

88 posts - 116 votes 

Message 60 of 69
11 April 2014 at 8:11pm | IP Logged 
@Sunja, @Crush

Yes, i decided to go for the super challenge. I'm pretty sure watching that many movies will bethe hard part. I don't actually have the patience to sit down for 90 min to watch anything, even in English or German..Reading is no problem though, weird.

I'll reread Sanmao's books in the beginning, because i'll be rather busy at the start of the super challenge. Then i'll have to work out a TV schedule.

Another of my bigger goals this year is also working on speaking, because that's by far my weakest skill, i can barely say anything. I don't know why i'm afraid to speak to people in Chinese, but i can't get over that. I hope italki tutors are easier, i mean, they are used to people butchering the language. I'd love to come closer to be actually able to use Chinese by the end of the year.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4956 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 61 of 69
11 April 2014 at 8:46pm | IP Logged 
Looks like we have similar goals, Ninibo! (even though my comprehension is lightyears
behind yours). I hope you will have good results with italki. I'm also using Sharedtalk
for instant chatting.

Ninibo
Diglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 3806 days ago

88 posts - 116 votes 

Message 62 of 69
11 April 2014 at 9:38pm | IP Logged 
@Expugnator

I haven't used either yet. Is Shared Talk like italki, just not with tutors, but other people exchanging languages? That would be something to try after i've had some lessons on italki. What are you experiences?

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4956 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 63 of 69
11 April 2014 at 9:49pm | IP Logged 
Sharedtalk doesn't have tutors indeed but it has instant chat. That is, it has a
voicechat and a normal chat where you can people's availability right away and invite
them to chat. Normally there are many Chinese there.

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4234 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 64 of 69
11 April 2014 at 10:07pm | IP Logged 
Ninibo wrote:
@Sunja, @Crush
Another of my bigger goals this year is also working on speaking, because that's by far my weakest
skill, i can barely say anything. I don't know why i'm afraid to speak to people in Chinese, but i can't get
over that. I hope italki tutors are easier, i mean, they are used to people butchering the language. I'd
love to come closer to be actually able to use Chinese by the end of the year.

When you want to improve on your speaking skills, the first thing is to be around the right groups of
people. If there is a local Chinese community centre you'd participate in organized activities. You can
even make friends with people who are more recent arrivals. If you are around people who can speak
English even at an intermediate level, there is a tendency for you to switch back to English.

Once I was travelling in Taiwan. Someone from the tour was from London England. We would be out in
the local markets and I was asked to translate what the street vendor said. If you are abroad with a
group of people, there is a tendency to rely on the person who is most fluent in a local language to do
all the talking. The rest of the group would be talking among themselves in English.

A few years back I was working in a government centre serving unemployed people. Many of them were
recent immigrants. There was a lady in the same office who came from Romania. She would be talking
to Italian people with limited English because the 2 languages are similar. Occasionally Chinese people
with limited English would show up. They wanted to know what the government can do for them and
tend to be attentive what you tell them. They are very accommodating even if your Chinese isn't very
fluent the fact that you try to provide them with the right information.

A year ago I was travelling in the US in Houston Texas. At the airport, couple from Taiwan was trying to
decide whether to take a taxi or an airport shuttle into town. After buying a ticket they asked me in
Chinese how much it would cost to take a shuttle. In this part of the world English is the official
language and everybody is expected to be able to speak it with certain level of fluency. Normally I
wouldn't initiate a conversation in Chinese unless I know the other person well. On the phone you'd say
"Hello" instead of 喂 Wéi. Even at the dinner table with Chinese people many of the second-generation
would be talking among themselves in English. There was an odd time when someone was asking for
Mrs. Li (找李太太) in Chinese. You can answer in English "Sorry, wrong number" or "你打错了电话"...

I recently came across a polyglot of mixed ancestry Stuart Jay Raj. With a father of Indian heritage he
lives in Thailand (if I'm not mistaken). He studied and compared various Asian (including Thai,
Vietnamese, Indonesian, Cantonese & Mandarin) & European languages for many years and speaks like a
native in practically every language he mastered. He has his own online blog and many good tips for
learning languages.

This discussion contains 69 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version