Joined 4481 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 33 of 54
06 December 2013 at 5:30pm | IP Logged 
I could probably get behind "Team Oranje."

Another idea: Team Fiets

The possibility for Dutch/English puns would be tremendous.

Yet another idea: Team Gruit (or Gruut)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4496 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 34 of 54
06 December 2013 at 5:38pm | IP Logged 
fabriciocarraro wrote:
I like Team Oranje! Or Team Sinterklaas!

Nice! I like Sinterklaas too, but... perhaps it's most relevant now in December? :-P

geoffw wrote:
I could probably get behind "Team Oranje."

Another idea: Team Fiets

The possibility for Dutch/English puns would be tremendous.

Yet another idea: Team Gruit (or Gruut)

Looks like Oranje's popular. I had to look up what gruit was, but the beer reference is nice too.

Edited by Hekje on 06 December 2013 at 6:21pm

1 person has voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4481 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 35 of 54
06 December 2013 at 5:47pm | IP Logged 
Hekje wrote:
I had to look up what gruit was, but the beer reference is nice too.

More Dutch/English pun potential, of course, as we all persevere in our studies, showing
true gruit. My vague understanding is that control over the supply of gruit was once so
important as to define broad strokes of the Dutch economy.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6390 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 36 of 54
06 December 2013 at 6:07pm | IP Logged 
Josquin wrote:
Why shouldn't the team names be discussed by the teams themselves? This thread here is bound to become an utter mess by January.

Choosing a name is the first task of the team and creates some team spirit from the beginning. I don't know why other people should meddle in this.

And what's it with "short names only"? I know the space for log titles is limited, but most people won't join three teams anyway, so they will have enough space left.
It's better to have one messy thread than twenty. Most threads see next to no activity after the name and leader choice, and anyone who wants to write in the team thread sees 10 pages of irrelevant discussion. And last year it was already suggested that the team threads shouldn't be started in early December but only very near the beginning of the year.

I don't see why team spirit is less strong if we all choose the names here.

Also, there have been actual discussions like "let's choose this name because it's short". As I said, this is the general tendency. I don't mind short names but then they should be a rule. As I said, exceptions are possible.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4637 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 37 of 54
06 December 2013 at 6:20pm | IP Logged 
Sorry, I was on two great teams during this year and I liked how things were organized.

In 2013, we had 18 teams. How on Earth are you supposed to keep track of the names that have been proposed for your team when 18 teams are throwing in their suggestions into the same thread?

Starting the team thread in December is actually good for organization. You can discuss the name, you get to know your team mates, you can create links to their logs. I don't know what's wrong about that.

Furthermore, it's up to the teams to decide on their names. Most teams will go for a short, catchy name anyway, but I don't think it's good to make rules like "four letters tops". And if you find a good name that happens to have more letters, you should be able to choose it.

As I have already said elsewhere: I understand the desire for efficient organization, but please don't exaggerate it!

Edited by Josquin on 06 December 2013 at 7:31pm

7 persons have voted this message useful

NMW
Netherlands
Joined 4280 days ago

36 posts - 46 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch

Message 38 of 54
06 December 2013 at 6:22pm | IP Logged 
Liking the 'Team Oranje' suggestion!

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6390 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 39 of 54
06 December 2013 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
Eventually there will be a poll on an external site.

Ugh, not everyone supports team Oranje :P Although I guess I won't have a full member status anyway.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6390 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 40 of 54
06 December 2013 at 6:52pm | IP Logged 
As for team threads, they should be started by the leader only, which should be a member with the rights to post link and PM people. Only the person who started the thread has infinite editing rights in the log subforum.

This discussion contains 54 messages over 7 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version