Joined 4342 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 17 of 126
16 December 2013 at 8:31pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
It just stopped being used. The French brought words to English, but
gender was probably
already on its way out by then. The languages changed so much over that time that
somehow
gender was one of the things that got axed in the turmoil.

I am no linguist, but I did read a book by a linguist once, and he argued that a lot
the grammar simplification in English was due to Norse farmers in the North of England.

Author Sort:     McWhorter, John
Title Sort:     Our Magnificent Bastard Tongue: The Untold Story of English

Edited by patrickwilken on 16 December 2013 at 8:31pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6406 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 18 of 126
16 December 2013 at 10:02pm | IP Logged 
In case anyone wonders, according to wiktionary the ancestors of the word ship weren't feminine in Old English and Proto-Germanic. IDK if it's significant though.
1 person has voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4099 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 19 of 126
16 December 2013 at 11:51pm | IP Logged 
Medulin wrote:
1e4e6 wrote:

(French:
la voiture). I mean that one can look at, for example, François Hollande and Mariano
Rajoy, and say, respectively, "He is the President of France", or, "He is
the President of Spain." Likewise, one knows Erna Solberg or Michelle Bachelet, and say
,"She is the Prime Minister of Norway", or, "She is likely to be
President of Chile", but as a native English speaker, to look at my car and think "He
is in the garage today" or "She needs snow tyres, and her muffler needs fixing" would
be very unintuitive.

But, as stated before, sometimes, the feminine gender is still used with objects:

''Why I Love America...
You ask me why I love her? Well, give me time. I’ll explain. Have you seen a Kansas
sunset, or an Arizona rain?'' (John Mitchum)

''America And Her Allies Stand Opposed To Kurdish Aspirations'' (news article)

''America and her resources: or, A view of the agricultural, commercial, manufacturing,
financial, political, literary, moral and religious capacity and character of the
American people'' (Google eBook)

''On her maiden voyage, she carried 2,224 passengers and crew.'' (Wikipedia on Titanic)

In poetic writing, a "ship", a "car", and a "country" can be used in feminine gender,
so they're potentially feminine. Other nouns like ''sun'' are not, because you can
never come across things like ''the sun and her rays''...

Yes, but as said before, the "she" for countries is not grammatical gender, but gender
of personification--trying to personify an inanimate object that grammatically has no
gender (since English has no gender). It is no different than my grandfather saying,
"Mother England and Her Empire", the often quoted phrase "Mother Russia" during the
USSR times, etc.

As you said, it is used more often in poetry. In poetry and literary writing, quite
many strange or metaphorical structures are permitted. For example, in a (non-rhyme)
poem that I wrote for English class in primary school, I wrote a line like, "And I
walked down the beach, watching the ocean, her waves splasheth the shore...". I wrote
this in 1998, which is centuries after Old English and its gender, but in poetry I am
more free to write like that. I cannot speak like that in actual spoken (or written)
language that is outside of literature. I guarantee that if I went to a random person
and said in English, "I cannot find my car in the carpark. Have you found him?",
the other speaker would have a look of confusion, or ask if I switched the subject from
my car to a person.

"La voiture" in French and "el coche" in Spanish, however, are not
personification. French and Spanish speakers do not call their cars "she" and "he"
because they want to make their cars feel like people, but because the nouns themselves
have the gender. The cars have neither biological nor personified gender in French and
Spanish.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 17 December 2013 at 12:03am

2 persons have voted this message useful

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5369 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 20 of 126
17 December 2013 at 7:36pm | IP Logged 
I actually heard someone on TV speaking in the european parlament, who accidently used gender in English the other day. I really can't remember what he said, but it was an abstract noun, something like (completely made up): "It is an opportunity that we need to seize, because if we do not do so, she will not arise again", except it was probably a longer distance between the noun and pronoun. Anyway, it was really confusing, I had to think back to the previous clause to work out what he was talking about, whereas if he had just said "it", it would have all just flowed traight into my brain.

It's not something that happens very often, but you do hear it occasionally. I guess it's interference from the mother tongue again.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4865 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 21 of 126
17 December 2013 at 8:46pm | IP Logged 
I agree with you, 1e4e6, but why isn't "he" used in those situations? When is "he" used for personification?

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6406 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 22 of 126
17 December 2013 at 9:48pm | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
I guarantee that if I went to a random person and said in English, "I cannot find my car in the carpark. Have you found him?", the other speaker would have a look of confusion, or ask if I switched the subject from my car to a person.
Wouldn't they just assume you're not a native speaker of English?

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4099 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 23 of 126
17 December 2013 at 10:53pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
1e4e6 wrote:
I guarantee that if I went to a random person and said
in English, "I cannot find my car in the carpark. Have you found him?", the other
speaker would have a look of confusion, or ask if I switched the subject from my car to a
person.
Wouldn't they just assume you're not a native speaker of English?

That could be a possibility too. I had an acquaintance in university, though, who
referred to his sports car as "she", and was obsessed with "her". I suppose this is why
some refer to cars as "she", for him it was like a person. But grammatically, it makes no
sense.

Edited by 1e4e6 on 17 December 2013 at 10:54pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6406 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 24 of 126
17 December 2013 at 11:10pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
I agree with you, 1e4e6, but why isn't "he" used in those situations? When is "he" used for personification?
The example about the car made me think that we're more likely to refer to the opposite gender, maybe? And given how male still remains "the default gender", I think nobody just stops to think whether women would use personification differently. There's definitely some sexism in there.

This discussion contains 126 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version