United States
Joined 3836 days ago

274 posts - 368 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Thai, Lowland Scots
Studies: Arabic (classical), Cantonese

Message 121 of 126
07 January 2014 at 11:33pm | IP Logged 
Indeed, 1e4e6, I saw English's future as an analytic language, a Germanic Cantonese.
Believe me, I would not care if all the conjugationss went tomorrow as long as we had stuff like the above.
Cantonese gets along fine without being inflected for anything. It has tone changes and cool
helping words and such, word order playing too.

If you think what happened to English is bad, look at Mandarin! Their equivalent of gender is nearly dead! I even
tried to ask for san wan fan in my Mandarin at the local authentic chinese place and he just replied with "san ge
fan". It is practically stripped to the bone compared to Cantonese.

One of the features we are missing that is very Germanic are modal particles. John Mcwhorter wrote on why
they never came to be in English while all the other West Germanic languages have them and possibly some or all
of the Scandinavian ones.

I mean, how hard is it for people to use v2 word order all of the sudden, it doesn't sound bad
(Down the stairs came I!) sounds very poetic. And modal particles, let's take doch from Dutch and translate it.
"I am though coming!"
I don't know what it would mean, but just using conjunctions, adverbs, pronouns, and prepositions in their bare
form and throwing them in as a flavoring word can't be hard, and I see it in some kids (I am "totally" coming!) but it
still sounds cheesy.

Edited by Stolan on 08 January 2014 at 1:52am

1 person has voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4094 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 122 of 126
08 January 2014 at 12:11am | IP Logged 
The subordinate clause word-order SOV is what I think English lacks compared to the
other
Germanic languages, in addition to the "be" instead of "have" for the perfect tense
with
motion or changes of state, i.e.

"She had me told that he three hours ago at home arriven was."
S              O        V      S          V

instead of,

"She had told me that he had arrived at home three hours ago."
S     V      O       S          V

Edited by 1e4e6 on 08 January 2014 at 1:46am

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4337 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 123 of 126
08 January 2014 at 12:41am | IP Logged 
Stolan wrote:

One of the features we are missing that is very Germanic are modal particles. John Mcwhorter wrote on why
they never came to be in English while all the other West Germanic languages have them and possibly some or all
of the Scandinavian ones.

I don't want to lower the conversation, but isn't the Australian use of "f*ck" acting as a modal predicate?

In Australian English it's quite common to say either:

It's a beautiful day to have a picnic.
F*ck it's a beautiful day to have a picnic.

OR

That's a big dog walking toward us.
F*ck that's a big dog walking towards us.

etc.

The word doesn't simply act as an emphasis for a certain part of the sentence (e.g., in the first example the beauty of the day), but indicates that the speaker agrees with the statement being expressed.

Edited by patrickwilken on 08 January 2014 at 12:53am

Stolan
United States
Joined 3836 days ago

274 posts - 368 votes 

Message 124 of 126
08 January 2014 at 1:11am | IP Logged 
1e4e6, Those are SOV with v2. English ideally could be SVO with v2 and all those cool word order tricks I listed
such as above. In Cantonese, people even says these when their intonation is strong enough or with a particle.
If we use SOV default we lose the ability to use accusative cum infinitive sentences that cannot be done in
German. We would also lose tagging on gerunds for these occasions. etc.

The strange thing is that English lacks impersonal constructions but is very subject focused.
"This bed has been slept in" "I swam the pool" etc.
Some would have to be translated more literally in German.

If we keep what we have and combine the other word order tricks that are available, we can have darn good word
order. Oh and don't forget the become passive used in other Germanic languages for dynamic states.
Ich bin geschlagen werden.= I am become hit.

To add:
Alienable vs Unalienable possession.
In french, one can say "I open the eyes"
A sentence like "She has her father's eyes" can be interpreted two ways but:
She has her father's eyes. (She stole them) =/= She has the father's eyes. (Good genes)
What else? Modal verbs? Know you the contrast between other Germanic ones and English? Knowest thou? We need
an informal pronoun such as thou and reserve "you" for politeness. It took another conjugation when it went but I
dont mind the conjugation, but I wan't the pronoun. Also ken vs know, (ken is now dialectal)
All the things above have equivalents in Mandarin wherein Mandarin has been watered down compared to other
Chinese languages. Ah I love comparison.

Edited by Stolan on 08 January 2014 at 1:53am

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5234 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 125 of 126
08 January 2014 at 6:22am | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
s_allard wrote:
As I myself pointed out, the variations from rules of standard
grammar are to be found in popular, uneducated and
dialectal speech. I have certainly not suggested that one can or should spontaneously
use non-standard items in
situations that call for standard speech.

After a bit of poking around on the Net I did find a number of articles that looked at
the loss or change of
grammatical gender agreement in languages in contact with other languages. Two well-
studied examples are
Spanish and Russian in America. The case of American Russian, the language of second-
generation immigrants, is
quite interesting because the case and gender system has nearly completely broken
down. (Sorry, I haven't gotten the link to work properly yet)

http://clo.canadatoyou.com/32/Pereltsvaig(2004)CLO32_87-107. pdf

I do not imply that you meant that non-standard colloquialisms could be used in
standard speech, especially formal standard written language, what you said is true.
But what I meant was that gendered languages need their speakers to internalise gender
in nouns and branch this into adjectivial, adverbial, case, etc. agreements in grammar,
regardless of register. However, the non-standard English colloquialisms only rest
within their sphere of informal or dialectal speech, never entering the realm of
standard English, especially formal and/or written English. This is not the case with
French or Spanish--in formal speech, one obviously says "la belle voiture", but also in
dialetical or informal speech. There is no dialect or informal language in French
whereby one can completely ignore noun gender, or use only one article, or deliberately
or accidentally use the wrong gender for a noun and have the speech be acceptable. Same
for Spanish, Portuguese, the Germanic languages, etc. Should there exist such a dialect
whereby a gendered language can ignore gender, then stand I corrected. But I have never
encountered such a phenomenon that can be juxtaposed with non-standard English
colloquialisms.

I don't want to argue this point indefinitely but I really don't get this. If I understand the argument here, certain
non-standard varieties of English have features that can be put in paralell with comparable features of standard
English. Thus we have non-standard "we is" and the standard "we are.", the non-standard "It ain't" and the
standard "It isn't." The non-standard forms are not used in the standard language and I agree with the
statement " However, the non-standard English colloquialisms only rest within their sphere of informal or
dialectal speech, never entering the realm of standard English, especially formal and/or written English." It
seems to me that this is why we call certain things non-standard.

What I don't understand is the following phrase: "This is not the case with French or Spanish--in formal speech,
one obviously says "la belle voiture", but also in dialetical or informal speech." To me it seems that the first part
of this sentence says that unlike English, colloquialisms in French or Spanish do not rest within their sphere and
do enter the realm of standard French or Spanish. I don't think this is correct.

And the sentence "Should there exist such a dialect whereby a gendered language can ignore gender, then stand
I corrected." seems like a begging the question to me. How can a gendered language ignore gender if a gendered
language is defined by gender?

Although I'm a bit confused, I gather from the rest of the text that the argument here is that there are no forms
of non-standard or dialectal French or Spanish (and other languages) that ignore gender. Well that's a different
subject. The question seems to be then: Taking the example of one language, are there forms of French that do
not use gender?

You won't see genderless or gender-neutral dialects of French in Europe or in Quebec. But as soon as one looks
at French spoken on the periphery in contact with other languages, such as in Africa or Haiti, there are many
examples of the loss or the simplification of grammatical gender. Here is a study of "le français populaire du
Burkina" spoken in Burkina
Faso.

http://www.persee.fr/web/revues/home/prescript/article/lfr_0 023-8368_1994_num_104_1_5739

I direct the reader's attention to section 3.1.3 Marque du genre, in which the author mentions that Burkina
French recognizes natural gender and not grammatical gender. This is interesting because when there is no
clearcut natural gender, the speaker will omit all gender markings, including the articles as in "comment va santé
maison?" instead of the standard "comment va la santé de la maison?"

All throughout Africa there are dialects of French that ignore gender. We know that the French-based creoles
ignore grammatical gender, and I think we can safely assume that the popular French spoken next to these
creoles probably exhibit some loss of gender agreement. Aand this is totally acceptable within the dialect of
course, not in standard French.

As for Spanish and German, I can't reply, but I did mention previously the case of American Russian where the
complex case system of standard Russian has completely collapsed.

Edited by s_allard on 08 January 2014 at 6:25am

Stolan
United States
Joined 3836 days ago

274 posts - 368 votes 

Message 126 of 126
08 January 2014 at 12:43pm | IP Logged 
S_allard, the same is in Chinese dialects. In varieties of Mandarin Chinese often spoken in the North, the only
measure word left is "ge"

Like 3 ge house in English literally,
In Cantonese you have about many in use for common thing (you can get by without all of them but if you want to
write literature, best look them up)

3 tsot movies
3 dzi armies
3 ga cars
3 bung water
3 go man

You can even say the classifier followed by the object as a pseudo definite article
go yan (the guy)

Mandarin? Many of the uses are now variable and falling away. The particles are now only distinguished in writing
的地得 all three with different purposes are said the same in Mandarin, Cantonese pronounces each differently.
I suspect mass integration of ethnic groups or alternate dialect speakers.

The thing is that many think these kinds of happening, specifically the type that is probably eurocentric, is isolated
to English, that loss of inflection is one direction of simplification but simplification occurs outside of inflection and
happens in less specification and distinctions. An example is Indonesian which is agglutinating and inflecting but
regular and possibly the easiest language in the world. Turkish is not easy but it is regular too. Other languages
have gone through what English has too, but still people don't realize how simplified Mandarin is and cite it as a
"hard" language, the writing maybe, but it is so watered down and simplified, may as much as English, or more in
grammar. Same with Persian, but people stare so widely at English being simplified due to large aquisition. Spanish
too, people think it is not simplfiied, while it may be inflecting, it is more straightforward than French, and the
biggest area of simplification is pronounciation. Only 5 vowels, 18 consonants, and few clusters of consonant while
being syllable times so there is no vowel reduction of "schwa"ing, no vowel shifts in compound words, etc.

I just want you to understand, Allard, what I am getting across.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 126 messages over 16 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version