Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4807 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 9 of 12
08 December 2013 at 2:29am | IP Logged 
IFs appear to be even father or grandfather to MUDs.

MUDs do as well respond to simple commands, even like "l book" for look at the book. But! You play with other people and that includes roleplay (or out of character fun as well). So you are speaking, you are creating emotes, you communicate on chats, you basically create any situation from a simple exchange of items up to philosophical-ethical debates on the nature of the world where the game takes place, jokes, gleemam shows and a lot more and everything in real time! Really, there were times I wished I had read Kant more thoroughly or books on travelling with descriptions so that I would keep up better :-D And these games tend to have forums as well, so you may find yourself putting together longer kinds of texts (such as stories and fan fiction, arguments over various features of the game, book reviews and so on). There is no limit to the language you can practice! And, as everything is text based, your imagination is the only limit to the graphics quality ;-)

You don't need B1 to begin! I started when my passive English was A2/B1 (I catch the passive skills fast) but my active English was A1 at most. I was nearly hopeless in the beginnings (and I chose the most rp demanding clan in the game, haha). But I wanted to play so much and I kept putting enough time into it that I got to a much higher level thanks to the game.

Yeah, my favourite game is purely English based but at times, I grab someone and we use another language together. Last time, it was an american who had spent a few years in France so we were using French together. Another time, I met a norwegian and really wished I knew Norwegian. There is quite a mixed bunch once you look under the cover. And they are not those rude children you generally meet in the graphics mmorpgs, these are people of all the ages, education and fields.
1 person has voted this message useful

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4449 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 10 of 12
11 December 2013 at 7:41pm | IP Logged 
I just discovered a great browser text-based game (not a MUD) in German/English, depending on what you pick.
If you have played Elite/Frontier/Frontier First Encounters/Oolite, it's for you!

ulite.de
2 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4707 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 11 of 12
28 December 2013 at 2:41am | IP Logged 
I just got my sons a Wii U for Christmas, with Lego City, and noticed that there was a French language option and there are subtitles. The subs are only in the same language you are playing in, but that's good for my purposes. I don't really play console games much, but the other night I played it in French for an hour and have decided to adopt this as a fun learning tool. It's a bit like watching a film, but with the additional factor that if you don't pay careful attention, you will have difficulty solving puzzles, etc.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6395 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 12 of 12
28 December 2013 at 3:11am | IP Logged 
I only play Criminal Case.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version