NMW
Netherlands
Joined 4280 days ago

36 posts - 46 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch

Message 73 of 213
06 January 2014 at 4:44pm | IP Logged 
Voor mij maakt het niet uit; het lezen van al de logs is niet zo erg want je kan kiezen om emails te ontvangen wanneer er een update is geplaatst, dus je hoeft niet elke dag te checken. Dit is mijn eerst TAC, maar van wat ik ervan gelezen heb zijn er normaal veel mensen die afvallen en dan zijn er misschien alleen maar een paar actieve leden in de groep achtergebeleven. Ik zie geen kwaad om meer mensen in de groep toe te laten.

Is het vereist om een Engelse vertaling erbij te doen?

Edited by NMW on 06 January 2014 at 4:45pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4496 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 74 of 213
06 January 2014 at 4:57pm | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
The rationale behind limiting the team size is that team members are supposed to commit to
reading the logs of their other team members, and an overly large team makes that too onerous a task. The
dropout rate helps to counteract this, even as we lament the loss. I'm just verbijsterd here that the team
generated as much interest as it did, given that there wasn't enough interest last year to form a team at all. My
inclination would be to keep it open on the theory that we're unlikely to get another 5+ signups, so why keep out
the last one or two people because of any arbitrary number limit. But then I never imagined we'd get close to 15,
either.

Yeah, my other thought behind limiting team size would be to make people stop and think before registering
with our team. I want to encourage people to sign up because they want to engage our community - not
only because they're studying Dutch. (Although that is great too.)

On the other hand, I know limiting team size won't ensure participation. People will ultimately do what they want,
or life gets in the way, etc., etc. And I don't want to miss out on potentially great team members because of
having set an arbitrary limit either.

So my thought is, we keep the team open. In a few months the dust will settle anyway. Things will be more clear
then.

(I'm totally verbijsterd as well. I guess it's not the worst problem, to be overly popular. :-P )

NMW wrote:
Voor mij maakt het niet uit; het lezen van al de logs is niet zo erg want je kan kiezen om emails
te ontvangen wanneer er een update is geplaatst, dus je hoeft niet elke dag te checken. Dit is mijn eerst TAC,
maar van wat ik ervan gelezen heb zijn er normaal veel mensen die afvallen en dan zijn er misschien alleen maar
een paar actieve leden in de groep achtergebeleven. Ik zie geen kwaad om meer mensen in de groep toe te laten.

Is het vereist om een Engelse vertaling erbij te doen?

Ja, ik ben het met je eens. Okee, het lijkt me wel logisch.

Nee hoor, het is toch niet vereist om een Engelse vertaling bij te doen. Alleen maar voor de January uitdaging. Als
je de tijd hebt zou het heel leuk zijn voor de leden van ons team die nog niet zeer geavanceerd zijn, maar het
hoeft niet.

Edited by Hekje on 06 January 2014 at 5:07pm

VivianJ5
Diglot
United States
Joined 4055 days ago

81 posts - 133 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 75 of 213
06 January 2014 at 6:12pm | IP Logged 
Well, since the French team (Team Triomphe) is at over 30 - they're counting on some dropping out - I don't think
allowing a few more in will make or break us. I, for one, wasn't planning on commenting on every single post every
participant makes, so I say the more the merrier.

Suzie
Diglot
Belgium
Joined 4022 days ago

155 posts - 226 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Dutch

Message 76 of 213
06 January 2014 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
I agree. This is about language learning, and if someone hopes to benefit from the team setting, I'm absolutely in favour to open the door. As already stated, we won't have to fear that this team becomes too crowded, and it would be a pity not to give anyone the chance to discover this beautiful language.

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4496 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 

Message 77 of 213
06 January 2014 at 11:28pm | IP Logged 
Alright, that seems pretty definitive. We will keep the team open. :-)

tommus
CanadaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5659 days ago

979 posts - 1688 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Dutch, French, Esperanto, German, Spanish

Message 78 of 213
07 January 2014 at 12:01am | IP Logged 
There seem to be some real challenges on HTLAL these days with posting links. I have
not been able to create a proper link to my Team Oranje TAC 2014 log. And I see that on
the first entry of this thread for Team Oranje, my link actually connects to KijoFaia's
log, not mine. Hekje, could you change it? Thanks.

Here is the plain URL:

http://www.how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.a sp?TID=37769&PN=1&TPN=1

EDIT: remove the space in 'a sp'

Edited by tommus on 07 January 2014 at 12:04am

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4496 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 

Message 79 of 213
07 January 2014 at 4:22pm | IP Logged 
Ah, thanks Tommus. There are indeed problems posting links on this forum, but your misdirected log link on the
first page was my human error. I've fixed it.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4496 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 

Message 80 of 213
08 January 2014 at 10:08pm | IP Logged 
I found the Dutch equivalent of BuzzFeed:

Upcoming.NL

It has lots of silly listicles like "12 Feiten over de rode panda die je sowieso wil weten".

If you're going to spend time reading stuff like that - and I know I sometimes do - you might as well do it in your
target language. :-)

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 213 messages over 27 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version