Portugal
Joined 5858 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 97 of 204
21 January 2014 at 2:38pm | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
One of the highlights of my week was getting to hang out with Luso for a bit. He was kind enough to spend some time with me and show me Lisbon. He introduced me to "ginginha", Cascais, one euro bookstores and Gato Fedorento. He's a fount of information about the history and culture of Lisboa and Portugal. His intelligence is only matched by his kindness and generosity. He is truly a gentleman and a scholar in every sense of the words- em qualquer idioma. Muito obrigado, Luso, por tudo! Segue, segue, segue!

Thank you for your kind words. It was a pleasure for me too. Segue, segue, segue! Vai dar uma "ganda" volta! :D :D :D

1e4e6 wrote:
It would be interesting if there exists someday a variant of Portuguese like how in English there is the alleged Mid-Atlantic English. I think that the Açores are not exactly halfway between Portugal and Brasil, but I think that they use an accent probably more similar to the Iberian one. Did you go to the Alfama? It is extremely picturesque.

"Not exactly halfway between Lisbon and Washington, D.C." would have been more accurate, as most of the Açores are at the same latitude of both.

The Açores are, and have always been since the discovery, a part of Portugal. These islands were deserted when discovered and were colonised by a mix of Portuguese and Flemish people, along with a smattering of other Northern Europeans (if you think of the 16th / 17th centuries, Portugal was a very wealthy country and Central Europe was being ravaged by wars).

Due to isolation, the Açorianos have always had an accent, but they speak 100% European Portuguese. Period. The number of writers from there is staggering (in the hundreds). It's even hard to find in that list the few that number in the very best that Portuguese letters have produced in the last two centuries. I guess that back in the day, if there was nothing else to do, you wrote.

After a few months in the "Continente", they all lose their accent, which is, as I said before, just an accent (by the way, our first elected President was from there). I've been there once and, apart from a couple of legendary fishing villages, no one is hard to understand anymore (there was the theory that they spoke 16th century Portuguese; just another legend, I think).

1e4e6 wrote:
But still, the temperature in Portugal can be searing no verão--like an oven.

Oh, yes.

Papa Francisco em português ‏@Pontifex_pt Jan 18 wrote:
As guerras destroçam tantas vidas. Penso especialmente nas crianças depredadas da sua infância.

Expugnator wrote:
Just a remark, I think the most idiomatic way in Brazil would say "Fico pensando particularmente nas crianças que tiveram suas infâncias roubadas, at least that's how I'd have written it myself.

I agree with you. I would have stated "As guerras destroem tantas vidas. Penso especialmente nas crianças cujas infâncias foram roubadas."

I'm pretty sure the original translator was not a Lusophone. I'll not add to the discussion by speculating where he might have been from, but this is a typical example of how those misunderstandings arise: lack of culture!

Edited by Luso on 21 January 2014 at 3:05pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5059 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 98 of 204
21 January 2014 at 2:44pm | IP Logged 
mrwarper wrote:
On a vaguely related note, do we know if the original was written in Spanish and then it was translated into everything else?

No. I have no idea whether His Holiness actually does the tweeting himself or an aide does it. Obviously, the Pope speaks Spanish natively and perhaps even Italian natively because of his parents. If the Pope is actually writing his tweets he most likely is doing it in Spanish. But, the tweet could have been written by anyone and may even be a translation from Italian or English. God only knows- pun intended!
3 persons have voted this message useful

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4644 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 99 of 204
22 January 2014 at 2:12am | IP Logged 
Whenever I go to Lisbon, I need to find Luso. Sounds like fun!

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6394 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 100 of 204
22 January 2014 at 2:46am | IP Logged 
E finalmente li sobre a Chapada Diamantina... que beleza! Realisticamente acho que nunca vou visitá-la, me encantam mais as cidades que os parques naturais. E 7 horas no ônibus para chegar até lá? Não, obrigada. :o Sei que há um avião também, mas só voei duas vezes na minha vida - quando visitei Malta no Novembro do ano passado. Não tenho medo (é a mamãe que tem :D) mas me parece muito estranho viajar uma distância tão curta por avião :P

Encontrei também um texto paralelo sobre a história geológica desta região... muito interessante! ♥
1 person has voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4087 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 101 of 204
22 January 2014 at 3:03am | IP Logged 
I liked the Caribbean--except the weather. Barbados, México, Trinidad, Curação, etc.--in
all of these islands I almost passed out each time from the heat. I remember needing to
bring ice packs to cool down. It is a common phenomenom for me...

Algo que é uma verdadeira excelência é sentar-se a comer
uma delícia.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4963 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 102 of 204
23 January 2014 at 1:32am | IP Logged 
Serpent, infelizmente aqui no Brasil praticamente não há transporte ferroviário, então
ou ficamos várias horas em ônibus ou pagamos algumas das tarifas aéreas mais caras do
mundo :/

1e4e6, I've been to Aruba and Curaçao last year, liked them both a lot! Tried to speak
Papiamento, it wasn't possible all the time because everyone there seems to speak
English, Spanish and some Portuguese, but when I managed to speak some, it was really
rewarding.
==================
So, now comes another challenge. I thought of it out of the blue, so I hope the subject
catches up.

O kiwi que ficou mais azedo do que o costume

Hoje à noite, antes de ir dormir, pensei em comer uma fruta. A princípio seria o
mamão que eu já tinha partido de manhã. Lembrei que o mamão estava bem maduro e doce.

Já estava me preparando para comer mamão quando abri a geladeira e vi o kiwi que eu
tinha comprado há vários dias. Resolvi comê-lo em lugar do mamão, mas, como meu cérebro
tinha se acostumado com a ideia de que ia comer mamão, achei o kiwi ainda mais azedo do
que costuma estar.

Moral da história: fazer alguma coisa pensando em outra costuma trazer alguns
resultados inusitados.

Challenge:

a) Write in Portuguese which fruit is your favorite and why you like it;
b) Find at least one idiom or proverb in Portuguese that contains a
fruit, or the word fruit itself.
3 persons have voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4087 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 103 of 204
23 January 2014 at 2:24am | IP Logged 
Pois o que intentei fazer quando estava no Curação foi procurar practicar o neerlandês,
debido a que segue sendo colônia neerlandesa. Mais os oficiais respondaram-nos no
inglês, o que faz sentido--a minha familia falaram-lhes no inglês, e o único que
procurava utilizar otra lingua fui eu mesmo.

Um dos meus companheiros no Brasil contou-me, entorno aos anos 2000, que no São Pãulo,
usam-se helícopteros para transportar-se dum lado ao outro, mas com frequência serão os
ricos que usam-os. Recordo que uma vez vi um documentário noqual algumas pessoas
contratam alguem que leve-os por helicóptero a fazer as compras nos centros comerciais
do
centro da cidade, o até evitar a circulação nas carreteras(?).

Edited by 1e4e6 on 23 January 2014 at 6:15am

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5858 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 104 of 204
23 January 2014 at 2:00pm | IP Logged 
kujichagulia wrote:
Whenever I go to Lisbon, I need to find Luso. Sounds like fun!

You do that. And perhaps a couple looking "Greenwich Village" or "Rive Gauche" will approach us and ask whether we are scientists, like iguanamon and I.

Go where the bohemians hang out, and suddenly you'll look very "serious". :P

Edited by Luso on 23 January 2014 at 2:02pm

This discussion contains 204 messages over 26 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version