438 messages over 55 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 34 ... 54 55 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6395 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 265 of 438
23 May 2014 at 5:10am | IP Logged 
What kind of texts/sentences does it use? I think I could improve a lot with just something like Teach Yourself, but I just find this stuff insanely boring :( And for now I'm more worried about not having the correct picture even in my head than not being able to pronounce.
1 person has voted this message useful

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4946 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2
Studies: Danish

Message 266 of 438
23 May 2014 at 7:52am | IP Logged 
Each lesson is a narrative describing some everyday situation or happenstance (often involving people from places like Iran and Pakistan), short enough to fit on one page. The speaker reads a line and it’s followed by a pause, the line is read again with another pause, then on to the next line. The lines are short and they’re read slowly, but they don’t sound artificial, like the audio of most of the popular self-learn courses I’ve tried.

Each lesson focuses on a specific feature of the pronunciation, such as how many different sounds a single vowel can have. The text for each lesson is printed twice, first naked, and then again on the back side with markers to indicate stress, length, stød, sentence melody and to draw attention to whatever vowel, consonant, or phonological aspect is being emphasized in that lesson. It also shows which letters don’t get pronounced, which is helpful, though I don’t always find this to be in agreement with what I hear on the recording. There are also lots of comments and tips (everything’s in Danish).

The biggest drawback for me is that all the pauses are much too long. The only way I can do the repeat-after thing is if it goes bam-bam-bam. I can’t stand to sit there and wait for the replay utterance to come along while my auditory memory of the thing dissipates. I figured out a way to edit the recording, but it wasn’t easy, since the cd will only play on a pc and I can’t get Audacity to work on the Windows 7 of my laptop.

There’s also another, more advanced course by the same author (Lisbet Thorborg) called “Dansk udtale i 49 tekster” and I got it, too, but it looks like I’ll be busy with this beginner’s one for quite some time. Oh, and there’s some kind of companion practice book called “Dansk udtale-øvebog”, which I also ordered, but haven’t received yet. I’m really curious to find out what that might be.

Edited by AlOlaf on 23 May 2014 at 7:56am

2 persons have voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4088 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 267 of 438
23 May 2014 at 9:08am | IP Logged 
Is something like Danish: A Comprehensive
Grammar
good for a beginner?

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6395 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 268 of 438
23 May 2014 at 7:01pm | IP Logged 
AlOlaf wrote:
The lines are short and they’re read slowly, but they don’t sound artificial, like the audio of most of the popular self-learn courses I’ve tried.

Which specific courses sound artificial to you? Have you tried, for example, "Deutsch? Warum nicht!" or Assimil?
Also, the thread about introversion made me realize that what specifically annoys me is listening to other people's small talk. I can barely stand my own, lol.
But many thanks for your review!

AlOlaf
Diglot
United States
Joined 4946 days ago

491 posts - 617 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2
Studies: Danish

Message 269 of 438
24 May 2014 at 12:43am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:

Which specific courses sound artificial to you? Have you tried, for example, "Deutsch? Warum nicht!" or Assimil?
Also, the thread about introversion made me realize that what specifically annoys me is listening to other people's small talk. I can barely stand my own, lol.
But many thanks for your review!

You’re welcome. I meant Danish self-learn courses in particular. I’ve worked with “Colloquial Dänish”, “Beginner’s Danish”, Assimil’s “Dänisch ohne Mühe”, “Lextra Dänisch” (the German version of Teach Yourself) and Langenscheidt’s “Dänisch mit System”, and the audio in all of them sounds artificial to me compared to the audio in “Dansk udtale for begyndere”.

I know that when you speak slowly so a beginner can understand, it’s not going to sound the same as it would if you were speaking at normal speed. But this new course just sounds more natural to me than the ones I listed, more like the way they talk in the Danish movies I’ve been watching, even though the text is spoken slowly, just like it is in the others. This one somehow manages to demonstrate the unique characteristics of rapid Danish speech, like the dropping of consonants and vowels and the slurring of words together, at a slow enough speed to allow someone like me to get it, but without sounding stiff or mechanical.

Maybe it’s the skill of the speakers. The audio in a few other Danish self-learn courses sounds natural to me, too, and they’re all German: “Vi snakkes ved!”, “Dänisch neu” and “Av, min arm!”. But they don’t put the pronunciation under a microscope like “Dansk udtale for begyndere” does. That’s what I was looking for.

1e4e6 wrote:
Is something like Danish: A Comprehensive
Grammar
good for a beginner?

I guess so. I’ve got it, but I haven’t used it much. It’s got all kinds of information, but I have a hard time finding what I’m looking for in it. I mostly use Hueber’s “Dänisch Kurzgrammatik”, which is superb, but it’s in German. It would be great if there were an English equivalent, but I don’t know of one.

Edited by AlOlaf on 24 May 2014 at 1:41am

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4088 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 270 of 438
24 May 2014 at 3:11am | IP Logged 
That udtale course costs thorborg_haeftet_9788791909030">339,95DKK, which is a bit expensive..

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6395 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 271 of 438
24 May 2014 at 6:04am | IP Logged 
It's available in Uzbekistan too ;)
2 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6707 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 272 of 438
24 May 2014 at 3:42pm | IP Logged 
What was this month's challenge again? Alright, do something for one week. With just one week left, the easiest thing would be do listen to my Danish radio drama each day and maybe read something in Norwegian. I will be out of town the following Tuesday and part of Wednesday, so I'm not sure which of the activities are more likely.

This discussion contains 438 messages over 55 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version