United States
Joined 5712 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 1 of 10
17 December 2013 at 9:54pm | IP Logged 
Welcome to my log. I plan to focus on the following languages: Spanish, Hungarian, Finnish, Swedish, Afrikaans and Italian, with special emphasis on Spanish and Finnish and I may dabble with Portuguese. I subtitiled my log Poor overwhelmed brain 2 so that I will think of this log as continuation of my first TAC log. I have always thought that was my most successful log, it was the one with the most messages and I believe I did my best language learning that year.

July !6 2015 Update/Edit: This is just going to be my log for language learning. I eneded dropping out of TAC last year and I'm too late for this year but better late than never. Along with the languages listed in the first paragraph I maight also dabble with Polish, Hindi and Thai.

Näkemiin
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 17 July 2015 at 9:20am

2 persons have voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5712 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 2 of 10
19 January 2014 at 11:17am | IP Logged 
¡Sé que llega un poco tarde, pero más vale tarde que nunca! No tengo una buena excusa y además, no creo que nadie lo leería.

Una de mis metas es hablar, leer y escribir español como el inglés. Ayer empezaba leer el libro de Michel Foucault Historia de la locura en la época clásica. Desgraciadamente no tengo una traducción español por lo tanto he estado leyendo la traducción inglés. Señor Foucault escribí oraciones compuesta así el libro es interesante pero un poco difícil.

Better late than never! I have no good excuse for this late start, and even if I did, I don't think anyone would want to read it.

On of my goals is to speak, read and write Spanish as well as I can speak and write English. Yesterday I began reading History of Madness by Michel Foucault. Unfortunately I don't have a Spanish translation so I have to read it in English. Foucault wrote complicated sentences so the book is interesting but also a little difficult.

Hasta la vista y buenas noches
Mick

PD: Por favor, corrígeme si me equivoco.

Edited by mick33 on 22 January 2014 at 1:06am

1 person has voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5653 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 3 of 10
05 February 2014 at 6:22pm | IP Logged 
¿Qué quieres decir con lo de no tener una traducción española, que lo estás leyendo en inglés? ¿Lo has acabado ya? ¿Qué tal te pareció?

Algunas cositas:
-Después de "empezar" hay que emplear "a". Y yo diría "Ayer empecé a leer el libro..."
-traducción españolA/en español. Y también traducción inglesa.
-El Señor Foucault escribió... (precedido por "el" y "escribir" en tercera persona singular)
-La concordancia entre "oraciones" y "compuestas". No sé si quisiste decir "compuestas" (una clasificación gramatical) o "complicadas", ya que creo que todxs lxs autorxs utilizarán oraciones compuestas.

Escribes bien en castellano :) ¡Espero que nos comentes cómo te va con tus estudios pronto!
2 persons have voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5712 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 4 of 10
26 May 2014 at 9:27am | IP Logged 
I'm back! Of course, after almost 5 months with no activity in this log, maybe I should announce my log's triumphant resurrection. Now that everyone has forgotten this log ever existed, it's about time I officially admit that I have been learning Finnish and only Finnish since February. I had thought about posting here a little sooner and announcing my return in Finnish but I wasn't sure if I should use "Olen takaisin" or "Olen palannut" to mean "I'm back!". I already knew that "palannut" is a conjugation the verb "palata" which I believe means "to return". "Takaisin" is a word I didn't know at all, so I checked Fintwol and I got the the verb "taata" which sanakirja.org defines as "to guarantee", "to warrant" and a few others that wouldn't make sense but lower down on the same webpage some other forms of the word are listed and after the statement "Yksikön ensimmäisen persoonan konditionaalin preesens" is the word "takaisin". Even better when I clicked on takaisin the very first definition given is "back". I also learn that "takaisin" is an adverbit and is "puhekieli" or colloquial Finnish.... no doubt this explains why typing olen takaisin into Google gives me 17.300.000 hits while typing olen palannut gives me only 3.730.000 hits.

I mentioned in the language nerd thread that I switched my Google and Twitter accounts to Finnish a few weeks ago to learn more Finnish words. Google calls email "sähköposti" while Twitter calls it "sähköpostiosoite". I'm guessing that sähköpostiosoite" is email address, but I'll look it up later. Both sites ask for a "salasana" which must mean password. After I type that in I click on the phrase "Kirjaudu sisään" to log in and when I want to log out I click on "Kirjaudu ulos". Twitter is definitely superior to Google because as soon as I changed my language settings all my Twitter notifications were in Finnish from then on. Google only started sending me Finnish emails yesterday afternoon and I still see the message "Olemme määrittäneet sinulle kieliasetuksen. Tällä hetkellä käytössä oleva kieli on Suomi. Voit vaihtaa asetuksen alla." every time I log in to YouTube. My response to this request to change my language settings is "Ei, kiitos" although that's way too polite for how I feel now about this annoyance. I'm also getting really tired of seeing the message "Evästeet auttavat meitä palvelujemme toimituksessa. Käyttämällä palvelujamme hyväksyt evästeiden käytön." on YouTube. I don't care about cookie information and my cookie settings are just fine as they are although someday soon I will click on "lisätietoja" just so I can try to read the page. Strangely enough, Google.fi gives me the sentence "Evästeet auttavat meitä palveluidemme tarjoamisessa. Käyttämällä palveluitamme hyväksyt evästeiden käytön." I had to see this 4 times before I noticed the 3 different words, but I can figure this out tomorrow.   

moikka
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 18 June 2014 at 1:34am

mick33
United States
Joined 5712 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 5 of 10
27 June 2014 at 10:36am | IP Logged 
One of the things I've noticed about being at false beginner level in Finnish (I might as well admit the truth) is that I know I have already written about Finnish in my other logs. I'd been concerned about repeating myself here and was reading my old logs again to find what I'd written about learning Finnish, but that takes too much time.

So, enough of that stuff, what have I actually learned? Well, I was reading a page at uusikielemme.fi that explains the differences in the meaning and use of the following verbs: kuulla, kuunnella, kuulostaa, and kuulostella. Kuulla means "to hear" but not pay close attention so I think I could say or write somthing like "Minä kuulen melua" (I hear noises). Kuunnella means "to listen" and I think a good sentence for this word would be "Minä kuuntelin musiikkia" (I listened to music) which is true, I was listening to music earlier this evening.

I'm getting too tired to keep typing so I'll continue this after I get some sleep.

Hyvää yötä
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 27 June 2014 at 9:19pm

mick33
United States
Joined 5712 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 

Message 6 of 10
28 June 2014 at 3:55am | IP Logged 
Now I will continue what I wrote about last night. The next verb is kuulostaa which is defined (using the same webpage as the last post here) as "to sound like" and when this verb is used in a sentence the elatiivi case (lta/ltä) must also be used and my example sentence is "Miltä se kuulostaa?" (What does it sound like?). I really hope this sentence is right, and google seems to agree with me showing 4.210.000 hits. Kuulostella is a verb I've never seen before, but google gives me 95.200 hits so it is used sometimes. The page I've already linked to says that kuulostella is used to mean "trying to find out something". I'm running out of time now so my example sentence will be the one from uusikielemme, "Yritän kuulostella mitä mieltä hän on asiasta" (I'm trying to find out what opinion he has on the matter.)

heippa
Mick

Edited by mick33 on 03 November 2014 at 7:10pm

migs
Diglot
South Africa
Joined 3593 days ago

28 posts - 32 votes
Speaks: Afrikaans, English*
Studies: Portuguese

Message 7 of 10
30 June 2014 at 10:04pm | IP Logged 
As mens eenige hulp noodig het met u Afrikaans-studies, vra gerus!

Emme
Triglot
Italy
Joined 5135 days ago

980 posts - 1594 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German
Studies: Russian, Swedish, French

Message 8 of 10
27 December 2014 at 5:35pm | IP Logged 
Hej!

We’re practically at the end of TAC’14. Would you like to drop by at our Team Asgard thead and tell us how this year went for you and your Swedish studies? The year final report is also valid for our team’s December challenge!

I hope to hear from you soon and in the meantime I wish you

Gott nytt år!

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version