Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4472 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 9 of 415
02 January 2014 at 7:20pm | IP Logged 
Well, I hope you are good at juggling between different tasks: this is an amazingly long lists of stuff you plan to do this year :)

Good luck, I expect to be amazed!
1 person has voted this message useful

prz_
Tetraglot
Poland
last.fm/user/prz_rul
Joined 4653 days ago

890 posts - 1190 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English, Bulgarian, Croatian
Studies: Slovenian, Macedonian, Persian, Russian, Turkish, Ukrainian, Dutch, Swedish, German, Italian, Armenian, Kurdish

Message 10 of 415
03 January 2014 at 12:40am | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
I just want to share a list of internet abbreviations I saw at a community for Brazilians who learn Russian at FB

Could you share the link with us?

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5855 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 11 of 415
03 January 2014 at 1:52am | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
NO DABBLING LANGUAGES IN MIND. I do have a 'queue' of languages, that is to say, next time I reach a level at which I won't need textbooks for a language anymore, I may start a new one. Upcoming ones are Indonesian, Turkish, BCMS, Italian, Spanish and Esperanto, but no rush really. Maybe 2015 or 2016.

I like the way you put it: apart from the many languages you're studying, you also have a big list on hold, but "no rush really. Maybe 2015 or 2016.".

I'll be looking forward to seeing your progress with Georgian as Rare Team mate, as well as with all the other languages you're tackling, TAC or not (pun not intended).

On a different level, I hope we can help our godchildren improve their Portuguese in Team Exploradores.

Bom trabalho e boa sorte!

Edited by Luso on 03 January 2014 at 1:53am

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4509 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 12 of 415
03 January 2014 at 2:26am | IP Logged 
Excelente cara! Vou acompanhar seu log bastante pelo jeito! hehe

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 13 of 415
03 January 2014 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
@Silbermond : we have a long journey with Chinese, but I'm sure the team will work out
pretty well!

@prz: be prepared! Georgian is a fascinating adventure. As for the Russian group, it is
called Grupo de Estudos de Russo - PdD (which stands for 'Poliglotas da Depressão)

@vermillon: I'm rather used to this hectic schedule, even though sometimes it's tiring.
Since I do things in a rather loose way, it doesn't actually mean as much learning as
it sounds =D I don't overlearn textbooks and I watch videos mostly extensively and
sometimes on the background.

Thanks Luso and fabriciocarraro, hope we can help each other and others!

=========
Today actually started yesterday with a terrible incident. I lost my iBooks library to
my first generation iPad while trying to back it up in order to copy the books into the
newest iPad I just bought. I deleted all books from my previous library because they
referred to an iTunes version installed at another computer and so the path was lost.
Then I forgot to disable autosync before transfering purchases, and the minute I
plugged in the old iPad everything got deleted on it =(

I've learned that the worst thing with data losses is that you lose information like
books or bookmarks that you downloaded once on the suggestion of someone or saw
somewhere, and you may never remember they ever existed! It's not like losing some
Assimil books but getting them back, it's like losing important specific books which I
downloaded and saved directly at the tablet and thus didn't keep a backup anywhere.

I still have the list of files (even if the paths are dead because my former HDD is now
E: and F: units instead of C: and D:) back to april 2013. As for stuff after that, I
could remember a few by looking through history at the browsers I used. I know a few
others are missing, but they don't seem to be rarities and I may come across
suggestions for reading them again if I keep studying at the same field, which I
probably will.

Well, now at least I can start adding stuff I'm going to read soon or am already
studying from. If nothing, this should help for focusing. Lesson learned: keep a list
of books "to read" offline.

Now for today's news! I recovered from this and moved on. I finished important
resources yday and today and the big picture starts to show up.

Chinese
I finished volume 1 of Tuttle's Flashcards. Good because all I had to do was transfer
volume 2 to the iPad. Didn't pay much attention at 喜羊羊 because I was busy digging up
my browser's history for titles of books. As for Travel in Chinese, before hitting
'play' I copied/pasted the dialogue and worked on it intensively by checking both
translation and pinyin. It was great, but it made it harder for me to concentrate on
the actual video for the aforementioned reason and due to the feeling of lack of
novelty. As for Everyday Chinese Fables and Anedoctes, I noticed the translation is
rather loose and therefore I have to work more on dettaching words and translating
them.

Georgian
I'm reading faster in Georgian, even if I still understand so little. That means I'm
doing the lessons quicker, which came in handy today as I risked being late on my
schedule. I can't praise the book Teach Yourself Georgian for English Speakers enough
for the accuracy, completeness and appropriateness of its texts and dialogues. Final
lesson is coming, then come the reading excerpts, which are long but few, and they got
a vocabulary section. They will be my real test, because so far I've had translation
for all other resources. For the first time I'll be reading Georgian relying only on
Google Translator and the accompanying vocabulary for the texts. As for ჩემი ცოლის
დაქალები, I couldn't focus on it again but I start to notice considerable progress.
Getting some scenes almost fully from conext and from the vocabulary I already have.

French
I really need to get good contemporary fiction on French. I also need more suggestions
on comedy films. I really like watching them, no matter how hard. I already watched the
following:

Camping 1
Bienvenue chez les ch'tis
Rien à déclarer
Le grand blond avec une chaussure noire
OSS 117 Caire: nid d'espions
Tanguy

Russian
I see the light at end of the tunnel! Russian starts to make sense and I feel I can
make it. Thanks to the great LL. I'm much more confident now and I'm starting to enjoy
it, not feeling that much overwhelmed. The cultural info is also invaluable, today I
read about Russian museums and now I'm ggrowing interest of visiting Russia.

Norwegian
I'm doing less on Norwegian because I'm not using textbooks anymore and this step;slot
got replaced by German. I rewatched the first 20 minutes of a Himmelblå episode I
accidentally watched out of order and sometimes I deviated my sight from the video, and
thus I couldn't follow the story. That means I still need the subtitles badly. After
Himmelblå I'll probably start Hjem with hard-coded Swedish subs, hope not to get
confused though. I finished the book 'Kurt blir grusom' and am going to start Beatles,
by beatles lars saabye christensen, this time with audio but no translation. I'm quite
excited about that.

Other languages
Just kept doing lessons at German Without Toil. It is noticeable how much more I can
perceive of the language now that I'm doing these lessons with audio. Anyway, I want to
finish those elementary Assimils asap. I do need to move on with German. As for
Papiamento, I only listened to the news video, I didn't read the novel at home as I was
busy with iPads and lost backups.

There's one thing that is fragile about my schedule now: it has too few activities that
can be done at short breaks with dead time. I don't have that much type of dead time,
anyway (stuck in the traffic, waiting in line for something etc.) I walk to work and I
decided not to do any listening due to security reasons. Therefore my dead time
activities consist only of Anki and extensive reading. All the rest needs a computer
with audio. In the case of textbook studying I also need the tablet so I can have a
copy of the same textbook open with the translation or the answer to the exercises or
the transcript or vocabulary, whatever helps preventing me from losing focus for the
sake of looking up words. I need to resume duolingo for German and start memrise for
HSK, but I can only do these at home, which leaves me the rest of the day when I'm
already too tired or busy and when I am supposed to work on writing dialogues, anyway.

My schedule takes 4 to 5 hours a day but it is still heavily dependent on sitting at a
desktop with earphones plugged while using the tablet as well. At some point I'll have
to prioritize some activities over others if I want to keep enlarging my vocabulary
while gaining some active skills.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 14 of 415
04 January 2014 at 5:42pm | IP Logged 
I don't usually study on weekends. I only do activities that are accessible off-hand,
like Anki, Tuttle's Flashcards or extensive reading.

I just wanna say that I recovered the list of all my books. Up to April 2013 they were
stored at my former library, and the ones I got after them were sent to the recycle bin
at my new computer when I sync'ed the old iPad. So, no real losing track of any 'to-
read' books. Now it's the boring task to fix the path to all old books and then try to
transfer them to the newest iPad.

Speaking of which, I could finally download Pleco which wouldn't work at my first iPad.
I also got more languages for iBooks. Meaning: whenever I read in French, I can double-
tap a word and get is French definition right at iBooks, instead of looking up an
English translation at the computer! Now I really hope to speed up my French reading
and do some on weekends. In the future I may be able to do the same with Chinese.

Cristianoo
Triglot
Brazil
https://projetopoligRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3915 days ago

175 posts - 289 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, FrenchB2, English
Studies: Russian

Message 15 of 415
04 January 2014 at 6:01pm | IP Logged 
Excelente Expugnator, também irei acompanhar seu log, especialmente sobre Russo.

O que é LL?

Bonne chance!

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4960 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 16 of 415
04 January 2014 at 6:09pm | IP Logged 
LL é a coleção Living Language, muito boa por sinal!

Feel free to ask me anything about Russian and French learning, I've already seen your
log and I believe we may have a lot to share. I've been to Paris two years ago and I've
started Russian in November 2012 but still struggling.

This discussion contains 415 messages over 52 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version