Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4804 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 401 of 415
18 December 2014 at 9:22pm | IP Logged 
First of all, congratulations on your progress, Expug, there is admirable chunk of
work behind you. You've been quite an inspiration, during 2014, thank you.

Should I finally one day have time for Mandarin (and gather the courage), I will
surely consult your logs. One question to the Digital Fortress. How comes the content
is different in each translation? Is one abridged or what is so different?

Expugnator wrote:
The thing is Norwegian books are more expensive and I'd better
invest on original Norwegian novels then. Besides, I can already read those, I tend to
keep translations for weaker languages.

I totally understand. I am keeping some English books on my to read list (such as the
Hunger Games) for another language as well. Probably one where I'll need to start with
something simple and where are less books of the genres I love.

Your choice of languages really amazes me. Do you have some travel plans for Estonia,
Georgia, China or Russia? The Carribean to pracice Papiamento is quite close to Brazil
but the others really ask for a journey around the world :-)

Lastly, thanks for the notes on shortcomings of purely extensive reading when it comes
to languages more distant from the already known ones, that is good to know.

Edited by Cavesa on 18 December 2014 at 9:22pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4961 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 402 of 415
18 December 2014 at 9:52pm | IP Logged 
Thank you Cavesa. What makes the most sense to me is that the Chinese version is abridged, because it wouldn't make sense to release an official Brazilian Portuguese edition that would be abridged. And it was the case with my previous book, The Time Traveller's Wife: I compared the Chinese with the original, so it's much more likely that the Chinese one has been shortened somehow. Funny how I still couldn't find where both text meet, so I'm reading them at the same pace I used to, enjoying each part of te story, and the exercise is being useful to my language skills, which is the most important.

I do have plans for Georgia and Russia and also for Estonia. The desire to visit a country also plays a role in my choice for the language, but what can also happen is that I become interested in visiting the country after I reach an intermediate level in the language, and I get the feeling I want to see live everything I read and watch about at my resources. I'm more inclined towards Estonia than Russia and Georgia, for example, these two languages started more out of linguistic curiosity and need, not necessarily as an urge for sightseeing. The countries I dream about visiting the most all lie in Central Europe and the Balkans, including your own =D

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4961 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 403 of 415
19 December 2014 at 8:36pm | IP Logged 
Today's Happy Journey Across China lesson/video was particularly interesting and I had a good level of understanding. Not bad to start a Friday with, last day before vacation!

I learned that Estonians have irregular beer. The word õlu, beer, declines as õlu, õlle, õlut, õllesse. In colloquial language people say õlu, õlu, õlut, õlusse . It is evident that this is a Germanic borrowing (Swedish?), and it also makes sense to try and make beer more regular for the Estonians. I wonder if this regularized declension is more common after a few beers.

Started Learn Norwegian. It is a very detailed textbook, at least the chapter on Pronunciation. Pity that there is only audio for one section. Interesting that when I repeat the sample sentences for tone I can mentally recognize the expected pronunciations of the tones, that is, I already have a feeling for what sounds 'right' in terms of tones, thanks to the exposure I've been having to the language.

Found a few films with hardcoded Norwegian subtitles. Kjempebra! They're a bit older, and seem interesting. Today I had a good level of understanding at Fritt Vilt. Oh, and at my Georgian reading. And Russian starts to make a little more sense, or maybe my brain is sharper because I didn't have the Georgian-Russian textbook to make me tired too soon.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 404 of 415
19 December 2014 at 9:14pm | IP Logged 
According to wiktionary, the Finnish olut comes from a Baltic language or possibly Proto-Germanic.

Expugnator wrote:
Interesting that Serpent, Radioclare, YnEoS and I all tried the massive input approach but noticed its shortcomings.

Well, that's not what I said. My biggest issue, especially in the first challenge, has been the inability to give some deserved attention to things that don't count for the SC, whether it's because of the material type, or because they're in a language I didn't sign up with (back then Spanish, English, Finnish), and of course because they're just not related to language learning. To me it's mostly the drawback of such a long-term challenge. Ironically it's been easier after the ranking was changed and I found myself judged by my Spanish, which isn't my highest priority language. This hurt a lot at first but now I can sometimes do non-SC things without feeling like a procrastinator...

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4961 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 405 of 415
19 December 2014 at 9:52pm | IP Logged 
Well, what you mentioned is a shortcoming. I've been doing this massive input approach before the SC for a few languages so I have at least a year to observe this. You wrote this:

Serpent wrote:
And now I've read about the super challenge trap too. Reassuring to see that I'm not the only one who's been struggling with the priorities. The main thread tends to dismiss that as "we're all adults and we can plan our studies effectively"...
Interesting about output. I can see how it may be more important in non-transparent languages.

So, eating up your time for practicing non-SC languages and non-SC skills is one shortcoming; and the mass input approach nearly alone being ineffective for non-transparent languages is another shortcoming, and you acknlowedged both. I've seen you before defend the massive input almost as a fatal, unescapable prophecy for people to reach C1 or higher and now you noticed with its shortcomings the same way I and the others did, so I don't know what I wrote or meant wrongly.

agantik
Triglot
France
Joined 4430 days ago

217 posts - 335 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Italian
Studies: German, Norwegian

Message 406 of 415
21 December 2014 at 7:14pm | IP Logged 
Hello team mate!Thanks for dropping by on my log. I haven't explored all the nooks and crannies of your log,
but I'm sure to do it, it looks quite interesting!

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4961 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 

Message 407 of 415
21 December 2014 at 7:37pm | IP Logged 
Thank you! I might start a new one next year, but I will let you know!

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 408 of 415
21 December 2014 at 8:30pm | IP Logged 
I had been doing massive input for several years before the SC too. To me these are all the downsides of the SC specifically, not the massive input approach. Mostly because massive input doesn't exclude output. If you feel the need to write, you shouldn't be discouraged from that.
Also in your case, if you do use textbooks and are not bored by exercises, of course they can be helpful. If textbooks are more fun than children's books or other easy materials, or if said materials are too expensive to get (I feel your pain here), sure, go for textbooks!

This discussion contains 415 messages over 52 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version